Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:21 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,775,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"8 hrs per paycheck" weekly ? every two weeks ? monthly ? It would make a huge difference in accumulated hours. I suspect every two weeks....so that would make 5 weeks a of vacation eligibility per year, say you "banked" 1 week per year...it would take you 22 years to accumulate 900 hours...in other words almost your entire career....not as bad as it originally sounded.

Regards
Gemstone1
In the market for good employees, it is not just about having short-term benefits like salary. Sometimes benefits that accrue over longer periods are helpful in discouraging good folks from leaving. Perhaps this ability to bank leave for a future big vacation or retirement bonus is helpful in competing for people with larger, wealthier counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
In the market for good employees, it is not just about having short-term benefits like salary. Sometimes benefits that accrue over longer periods are helpful in discouraging good folks from leaving. Perhaps this ability to bank leave for a future big vacation or retirement bonus is helpful in competing for people with larger, wealthier counties.

Recognizing that the retirement "bonus" is only for a max of 240 hours, upon retirement. And, it doesn't affect the regular pension amount.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 AM

849 posts, read 2,925,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Wow! Well at least we know what's wrong with the country. Instead of being outraged over the ridiculous squandering of our tax dollars coddeling govt workers, I'm told to go get a county job. And implied that "I" am the problem and wrong to complain.

I try to eek out a livng as a small business person and real estate investor in a country and county that hates small entrapaneurs. Nobody pays me vacation time.

And they get 8 hours every paycheck - on MY back. I pay over $4,000 in property taxes alone in this county. Maybe if county workers were working my taxes would be $2,000.

Oh and find me a "full time" WalMart employee. LOL
I think what's really "wrong with this country" are people who cry and whine about the "have and have nots", and expect everyone to have NOT, especially if they don't. Seems like that is what your complaining is all about. Is it the county employee's fault that they got a job and work for the county that offers those benefits? And the article you posted speaks specifically of law enforcement, probation officers and public works employees- people who do dangerous jobs, deal with crap on a holiday while you are sitting at home with your family, and you have the nerve to call that "coddling". That's called taking care of your employees. Most cops and county workers make very little. They pay for health insurance for their families, pay into 401k or pension plans, and are left with little disposable income. The people who make the larger bucks are the ones in county office, but they are limited in number. And the country does not "hate entrepreneurs". I don't know what you do for a living, but I know a lot of entrepreneurs who make an outstanding living and have built huge companies from nothing. My wife is one of them. So your crying and whining is invalid, as far as I am concerned.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,717,426 times
They get 8 hours of PTO every paycheck which is bi-weekly, therefore roughly 16 hours per month or roughly 192 hours per year, almost five weeks per year. Whatever isn't used can roll over to the next year UP TO 900 hours. There is no way any employee is going to use all that at once unless a severe medical problem arises, which then it comes in handy. Mohave Co also doesn't offer short term disability. The OP claims it's a waste of tax dollars which doesn't make sense because if they horde all their hours for years and years to get 900 then my guess is they are working there behinds off and not taking any time off.....you're welcome.

Mohave Co. is trying to change the policy to reduce the PTO time they get for the county that is already underemployed, under paid, and under appreciated.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:11 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,088,149 times
Thanks to those of you who put the lie to jamies' whining with details and facts.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:34 AM

88 posts, read 128,590 times
The PTO issue is being addressed and the BOS are split on what to do. Here is an article from my local paper today.
Mohave County reducing time off for employees | News | havasunews.com

Old 10-08-2015, 11:32 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
Quote:
County employees can accrue 900 hours - SIX MONTHS paid vacation! I do not know one single person in the private sector who gets a paid vacation.
Yet the county comissioners, without a general vote just raised MY property taxes to cover their shortfall.
Hey, lazy govt employees and political hacks, try this - try WORKING like the rest of us. Not living off our sweat!
Anybody else sick of this abuse?
All these govt people slopping at the public trough need to be stopped. They are destroyng the country.
Supervisors postpone decision on leave policy - News - Mohave Daily News
I worked for a public agency and the most leave I could accrue was 240 hours. Every year I was in a position of 'use it or lose it' because my accrual was maxed out and since we were understaffed I could never take more than a week off. So every December my supervisor had to write a letter to the City Manager asking for a temporary exemption to the accrual rule, then for the next 6 months I would have to take a day off every other week, in the middle of the week to reduce my leave balance. I would have loved to take 3 weeks off but I couldn't there was no one to cover me. So what do you suggest would have been fair, should I have lost my annual leave?

Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,918,832 times
Quote:
Wow! Well at least we know what's wrong with the country. Instead of being outraged over the ridiculous squandering of our tax dollars coddeling govt workers, I'm told to go get a county job. And implied that "I" am the problem and wrong to complain.

I try to eek out a livng as a small business person and real estate investor in a country and county that hates small entrapaneurs. Nobody pays me vacation time.

And they get 8 hours every paycheck - on MY back. I pay over $4,000 in property taxes alone in this county. Maybe if county workers were working my taxes would be $2,000.

Oh and find me a "full time" WalMart employee. LOL
Here's one! And we have a lot of full timers at my store. We also have a lot of part timers and that's what they want. I was part time for 4.5 years (because it's what I wanted) till they asked me to please go full time, so I did. Part timers also get paid vacations, just fewer hours based on their average each week. So if a person averages 33 hours a week that's what their vacation pay is. I can't imagine having six months vacation time. For us we either 'use it or lose it' every year so there is no accumulating vacation time. Personal time off and sick days, yes, but not vacation.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:53 AM

404 posts, read 481,354 times
One thing wrong with this country is our reading comprehension deficiency.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
One thing wrong with this country is our reading comprehension deficiency.
What did you call me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona