Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:31 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,637,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
Please don't tell me this

We are leaving the Bay area to get rid of the madness here. Tax increases every month to pay for those who don't want to work.
A lot of your tax dollars go to the working poor in the
BAY AREA......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 AM

51,164 posts, read 24,639,645 times
A lot of you guys want to simplify everything to politics, where often it is not politics at all.

In my life I moved from New York State (not NYC) to Maryland for a job opportunity. I paid no attention to the politics of Maryland at the time.

Then I moved from Maryland to Virginia for a job opportunity, with "tourism" a minor factor in what I consider to be one of the most lovely and historic states in the nation. I paid no attention to the politics of Virginia at the time.

Then I retired, at first to Thailand...almost exclusively because I liked the culture and because retirement there would be reasonably "priced". Certainly nothing to do with the politics.

When the riots started I moved back to the States to Colorado, because I liked the mountains. Nothing to do with politics.

And now I will be making my final move to Arizona for the weather, the elevation, and the cost of houses is just about right for me. Nothing to do with politics...in fact I am ignoring the regressive politics of the state in doing so.

Some of you get so wrapped up in the political wars you can't see the forest for the trees.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,670,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A lot of you guys want to simplify everything to politics, where often it is not politics at all.

In my life I moved from New York State (not NYC) to Maryland for a job opportunity. I paid no attention to the politics of Maryland at the time.

Then I moved from Maryland to Virginia for a job opportunity, with "tourism" a minor factor in what I consider to be one of the most lovely and historic states in the nation. I paid no attention to the politics of Virginia at the time.

Then I retired, at first to Thailand...almost exclusively because I liked the culture and because retirement there would be reasonably "priced". Certainly nothing to do with the politics.

When the riots started I moved back to the States to Colorado, because I liked the mountains. Nothing to do with politics.

And now I will be making my final move to Arizona for the weather, the elevation, and the cost of houses is just about right for me. Nothing to do with politics...in fact I am ignoring the regressive politics of the state in doing so.

Some of you get so wrapped up in the political wars you can't see the forest for the trees.
Politics isn't the only factor based on somebody moving, but it does play a bigger role. Look at how local communities are ran and if people deny that being an outcome then they're short sighted. People move out of California, Colorado, New York, etc. for a number of different reasons, whether it's a job transfer, cost of living, political differences, the people, weather, infrastructure etc.

My problem is people who move from a former area, and expect to change it like their old home such as moving from California to Arizona or Texas to Colorado, do not like the idea of assimilation to a new area. It's a cycle that needs to be addressed politically and a problem that needs to be dealt with. The urban/rural divide is going to kill off the country in my opinion.

More often than not, Democrats that live in a blue city, in a blue state, when COL out paces their income, they move to a cheaper COL state, with less governmental regulations, usually a red one. In the red state, with COL cheaper, housing is cheaper to them. Eventually when they vote for the SAME POLICIES like they have in their old blue state, that drives out people who were originally native, or live in the same area for an extended period of time. That will turn the red state into purple.

When do you ever hear about Republicans or conservatives moving from a red state to a blue state? Sparingly

Last edited by Hschlick84; 02-23-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Aherm. A lot of "us guys" don't have the money to just pick up and move, whether for a job or not or "just because I like" this or that, nor the luxury to jet across the world to retire in Thailand, then decide to leave "once the riots started", as if it's nothing.

Your rather dismissive tone to those who ARE moving at least partially due to *politics*, is kind of sad. You talk about not being able to "see the forest for the trees", yet you yourself can't see the forest floor from your lofty height. You come across as a snob, and frankly, a *****. I probably wouldn't want to live next to you. lol. Think on that one for a while.

I'm also not interested in "political wars", but I certainly know whose policies have ruined my state and my standard of living, and I don't care to move to another with the same.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:19 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,957,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Politics isn't the only factor based on somebody moving, but it does play a bigger role. Look at how local communities are ran and if people deny that being an outcome then they're short sighted. People move out of California, Colorado, New York, etc. for a number of different reasons, whether it's a job transfer, cost of living, political differences, the people, weather, infrastructure etc.

My problem is people who move from a former area, and expect to change it like their old home such as moving from California to Arizona or Texas to Colorado, do not like the idea of assimilation to a new area. It's a cycle that needs to be addressed politically and a problem that needs to be dealt with. The urban/rural divide is going to kill off the country in my opinion.

More often than not, Democrats that live in a blue city, in a blue state, when COL out paces their income, they move to a cheaper COL state, with less governmental regulations, usually a red one. In the red state, with COL cheaper, housing is cheaper to them. Eventually when they vote for the SAME POLICIES like they have in their old blue state, that drives out people who were originally native, or live in the same area for an extended period of time. That will turn the red state into purple.

When do you ever hear about Republicans or conservatives moving from a red state to a blue state? Sparingly
Well said, I agree

Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,995,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post

While I agree about assimilation, differing political views is virtuous not a burden. This state is run by Kooks, I've posted a whole thread of bills that demonstrate how each side operates (everyday loony bin bills come across my desk at work, I won't say that they are always coming from one side, but a huge portion of them are), when one side has super majorities, the Governor and the Secy of State you're asking for trouble. You should always be critical of what you are voting for, regardless of what you believe ideologically, you should be critical of WHO you vote for. You should always vote to your interests, my interests aren't with Religion, or Retirement which are huge parts of one party's platform in AZ, it's their bread and butter. When people go I vote for the R candidate, you get an entire HCR Bill designed to transfer power from the voters to part-time legislators to strike down bills they disagree with, is that actually limited government?

Then you have people who vote R because the D is running California in a way they dislike, but is AZ actually run all that well? I'd contend it's very poorly run and fairly corruptable at the top because it's easy to be elected here. Put an R and get the voting demographics jazzed up about something and you'll win in our low voter turnout elections.

Also, and I say this a lot, at local level politics, the party is used to win not based on ideology. I'm a native, do I have to assimilate to the transplants who demand that we become more R?

Quote:
Cesar Chavez, who changed his name from Scott Fistler, changed political parties from Republican to Democrat after moving from a Republican district to a Democratic district.
People who believe that you should just be R because the state has voted R historically are those who allow the above to happen. It allows Diane Douglas etc.

I do agree with cultural assimilation, people who move to Arizona need to actually move to Arizona, not to sunny and hot Wisconsin like many seem to think they are, or cheap California etc.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,995,959 times
Cesar Chavez lost btw.

That's not to say that there haven't been great lesgislation done by AZ Republicans, our water management policies are some of the most famous and renouned internationally, that was in a big part, the brainchild of Jon Kyl, but it was largely bipartisan and cooperative. And it stands in stark contrast to our water guzzling and misusing neighbor's to the west. But it also a stark contrast to also arid and drought prone Texas who also has nonsense water policies, comically actually Texas is the only state in the country still employing 19th Century British water laws. Because of our policies in AZ we successfully accomplish a lot with very little.

Then there was the 80s bills to get the freeway loops built in Phoenix, that was a very successful bipartisan effort.

Recent birth of Downtown Phoenix? You have Stanton (one of the most pro business Democrats out there) working with the State appointed committees to bring business here.

That's the kind of stuff we should want.

Last edited by JGMotorsport64; 02-24-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 11:48 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,498,800 times
What may be surprising to some, based on a recent Gallup poll:

Gallup poll: Arizona not a Republican state - ABC15 Arizona

"Arizona is not as conservative as you might think.

A Feb. 3 Gallup poll classifies the Grand Canyon State as "competitive," as opposed to leaning either Republican or Democratic."

As for how our state is run by politicians or any other state for that matter, it's impossible for me to defend any state as being much better than the other on many levels, though I suppose we could argue the best of the worst, and that's often based on our own subjective compass. Serving the people is last on the agenda based on my observations, $ rules, not the people being served is what I see. That's where it begins and ends in my book. imho, our political system is a sad state of affairs on all levels. Frankly downright embarrassing as I see it.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,735,753 times
This state may be libertarian as I am in many social settings but when it comes to politics...LDS continues to have a stranglehold regardless of how "socially openminded" many Zonies are. People seem to put higher stock in fiscal conservatism than social conservatism when voting so the same LDS people get reelected...

Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,609,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Cesar Chavez lost btw.
Are you talking about this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_...8politician%29
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona