U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 02:53 AM

525 posts, read 687,647 times

Advertisements

I will go for a couple days for my trip to Arizona and rent my car. My biggest goal is to see Grand Canyon for one day, but day before after I fly in in I plan to hang around Scottsdale to have fun rest, see what goes there and take a restful night to leave next day early morning for trip to Grand Canyon.

I have looked at hotel and airbnb private room prices and in most cases I did not see big difference in savings especially if I lowered my hotel standard expectations to 3 stars or less.

I know if I book hotel, I am covered, but I feel like many Airbnb owners from that area have really nice homes and staying at their place might offer more "authentic" experience. It would help me save more money for next night at Flagstaff or Sedona where I would spend my time after Grand Canyon before returning to Phoenix.

But on other hand if I run on my first night into kook or troubles then it might ruin my next day plan for trip to Grand Canyon.

Do you feel airbnb is trustworthy?
Another alternative I have is "secret deals" through Priceline or Hotwire that discount more some expensive hotels to my price range, sometimes 4-stat for price of 3, (except hotel tax).

I would prefer not to spend more than $100, ideally stay within $50-80.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 04:13 AM

6,617 posts, read 7,885,522 times
I would just stay in hotels myself. Though $50-80 isn't much these days. We usually spend $120-250 for anything from Holiday Express to DoubleTree or Mariott. Anyplace nice in Sedona is going to be $200-400 - unless someone here has a secret. In Flagstaff be careful - most of the motels on Rte 66 are right next to the train tracks - like 60 trains a day! Stay out by the university.

Going from Phoenix to the GC in one day is going to be grueling. Far better would be to spend the night in Scottsdale, then the next day drive to Flagstaff, then the next day visit the Grand Canyon and return to Flag. The 4th day visit Sedona, then return to Phoenix or continue your trip. Trying to the GC from Phoenix is not going to be any fun - you are talking like 8-10 hours on the road.

You want to get to the GC in the mid AM, have lunch at the Tovar Lodge (reservations) I guess if you are alone, enjoy a picnic lunch on the rim.

You need at least 1/2 day in Sedona to view some of the galleries. And to drive down oak Creek Canyon.

Please MAKE time to do this, you will thank me.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I would just stay in hotels myself. Though $50-80 isn't much these days. We usually spend $120-250 for anything from Holiday Express to DoubleTree or Mariott. Anyplace nice in Sedona is going to be $200-400 - unless someone here has a secret. In Flagstaff be careful - most of the motels on Rte 66 are right next to the train tracks - like 60 trains a day! Stay out by the university.

Going from Phoenix to the GC in one day is going to be grueling. Far better would be to spend the night in Scottsdale, then the next day drive to Flagstaff, then the next day visit the Grand Canyon and return to Flag. The 4th day visit Sedona, then return to Phoenix or continue your trip. Trying to the GC from Phoenix is not going to be any fun - you are talking like 8-10 hours on the road.

You want to get to the GC in the mid AM, have lunch at the Tovar Lodge (reservations) I guess if you are alone, enjoy a picnic lunch on the rim.

You need at least 1/2 day in Sedona to view some of the galleries. And to drive down oak Creek Canyon.

Please MAKE time to do this, you will thank me.
I thought it only takes 4 hours from phx to grand canyon? On my way back I would stop lot closer of course. Thats why I am thinking about staying on second night at Flagstaff since its only 1h 30min according to google maps.

Maybe I should plan to stay at hotel inside park or Williams, AZ after long day excursion.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:22 AM

17,824 posts, read 38,694,623 times
I don't know why you are in such a hurry. Agree with the above poster. I would just use hotels, one night in a home (and some of them have multiple night minimums) is not going to give you an "authentic" experience.

Yes, the mileage charts say about 4 hours from "Phoenix" to the Grand Canyon. First, that's ideal conditions. Second, from Scottsdale, it's farther. Take your time to actually experience the Canyon, not just hurry up there, look at it, and drive back. That's a grueling one day drive.

I assume you are referring to the Canyon as being an hour and 30 minutes from Flagstaff.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't know why you are in such a hurry. Agree with the above poster. I would just use hotels, one night in a home (and some of them have multiple night minimums) is not going to give you an "authentic" experience.

Yes, the mileage charts say about 4 hours from "Phoenix" to the Grand Canyon. First, that's ideal conditions. Second, from Scottsdale, it's farther. Take your time to actually experience the Canyon, not just hurry up there, look at it, and drive back. That's a grueling one day drive.

I assume you are referring to the Canyon as being an hour and 30 minutes from Flagstaff.
Assuming, that I leave I at 7, and get there at 11 am, on Sunday, maybe with delay in traffic 12, I would have about 4-6 hours of daylight (October 6pm sunset) to look around in the park before heading back to Williams or Flagstaff that way on my way back would be only 1.5-2 hours back.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:40 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,698,704 times
please, Please, PLEASE plan to stay at one of several choices directly inside the Park operated by the concessionaire, Xanterra.....throwing four or so hours at one of the world's greatest places is criminal.....

leave the Phx area very early, arrive at the Canyon (the east/Cameron/Hwy 64 entrance is usually easier) about noon ($30 admission) and relax that afternoon, evening, and morning.....you will be sick of your car and having to drive back to Tusayan, Williams, or Flag is depressing after having seen what you just saw...just walk around, get a nice dinner, watch the sunset, take it all in, relax.....walk somewhere away from the crowds and just look at the view for a long time....one of the Seven Natural Wonders Of The World!.......watching the sunset and sunrise over the Canyon is one of the world's greatest sights and many come from around the world and spend thousands for ONLY that

Grand Canyon National Park Lodges - You're not just close - You're there!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
please, Please, PLEASE plan to stay at one of several choices directly inside the Park operated by the concessionaire, Xanterra.....throwing four or so hours at one of the world's greatest places is criminal.....

leave the Phx area very early, arrive at the Canyon (the east/Cameron/Hwy 64 entrance is usually easier) about noon ($30 admission) and relax that afternoon, evening, and morning.....you will be sick of your car and having to drive back to Tusayan, Williams, or Flag is depressing after having seen what you just saw...just walk around, get a nice dinner, watch the sunset, take it all in, relax.....walk somewhere away from the crowds and just look at the view for a long time....one of the Seven Natural Wonders Of The World!.......watching the sunset and sunrise over the Canyon is one of the world's greatest sights and many come from around the world and spend thousands for ONLY that

Grand Canyon National Park Lodges - You're not just close - You're there!
I looked at lodging but everything booked up two months ahead I have no choice but to leave this park in evening. In comparison, last year I went to Yosemite and it was mich easier to find a reservation. Maybe next time.

Hows Sedona?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,698,704 times
keep trying with Xanterra South Rim.....then keep trying

also, Tusayan is a decent option just outside the Park, though soul-less and pricey.....one can easily drift back to Tusayan about 9 or 10 at night after enjoying the sunset and village scene in the evening

you ask "how's Sedona?".....aside from the scenery (impossible to see at night, by the way), about as touristy and silly as you can get in Arizona......crowded and pricey.....but a drive-through in the daytime along highway 179 and 89A (Oak Creek Canyon) is highly suggested instead of I-17 south of Flag (see a map)

Old 09-13-2015, 09:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 7,885,522 times
Hi, yes, I was thinking up and back to Phoenix. Realistically figure at least 5 hours up. 2 1/2 to Flag and 2 to the Canyon. If there's a wreck on the 17 it's anyone's guess. And you need to stop for potty and lunch in Flag. Also the best way to see the canyon is drving the "loop."

But as a single person 4 hrs on the rim will give you a little taste. Some people spend their lives there.

Also Flag is home to the Lowell observatory, you should go see it since you will be like a mile away. I can't believe Flag is booked solid. Tuscasn maybe. Just go, something will turn up.

Or go to Walmart buy a sleeping bag and ground cloth and drive down a dirt road. There's not too many bears. Yeah, lemme tell you about when I tried to camp in Oak Creek canyon. Horrible storm blew my tent into the creek. On second thought, get a room!

Stop in Flag and secure your room for the night.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:12 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,562,009 times
I've stayed in the park twice, once at Kachina (on the rim) and Maswik, North Section (5 minutes from the rim). On another trip I stayed in Tusayan, just a few miles south of the Grand Canyon South Rim entrance. All experiences were fine; staying in the park was best but if you can't, staying just a few miles south works out very well.

If you are spending a night in Flagstaff, have you checked out Little America Hotel? It's northeast of the downtown area, right off the I-40. Kind of a different place; very nice rooms and a lovely wooded area if you get a view in that direction (which I requested). The price was reasonable (I forget now what it was) and it was not a long drive to Lowell Observatory (northwest of downtown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona