Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...be-gay-in.html

One of the key things that we need to change about this state. We need to be more welcoming no matter how you identify sexually. Having equality policies in place is a great factor that aids in recruiting masses of talent to current businesses.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
But then again, here's a rank that says something quite different:

Report: Phoenix 8th for most LGBT-friendly businesses

"A new report ranks Phoenix eighth in the country for cities with the largest number of gay-friendly businesses.

Global media organization Vocativ released a report this week in celebration of gay pride month. The study includes different lists ranking the nation's best cities for gay businesses, gay sports leagues and gay politicians."

"The organization examined such factors as the size of a city's LGBT community, number of "out" singles, gay-friendly businesses, hate-crime rates and the ease of casual hook-ups."

Vocativ's analysts surveyed information using the U.S census, FBI crimes database, public sites and social networks, including Craigslist, Facebook and Yelp.

Researchers said the study led to surprising discoveries, such as New York City has the most hate groups in the country, and Memphis has the most single lesbians per capita.

Perhaps it's New York City, and not Phoenix, that need quite a few new "policies" in place, yes?

Welcome to the world of who knows what agenda could possibly be at play when "ranks" and "studies" are involved though the one I referenced at least seems to be using valid FBI crime and census data.

From your article, I personally subscribe to this philosophy:

""Arizona has a welcoming business environment that is based on talent and merit," Taylor said. "We are very confident that our state will remain an open and attractive place for visitors and the top talent that will be the cornerstone of our continued economic growth.""

Based on talent and merit. Nothing more, nothing less. Best person for the job. Yep.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
It's hot here. Special snowflakes melt

Old 09-27-2015, 09:05 AM

88 posts, read 128,413 times
Just another special interest group touting the mantra, they are victims and discriminated. Their fix is more affirmative action type laws, forcing business and government to hire/promote people for quota sake, rather than qualified applicant.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Good Grief . . .

This is just another "expert study" where the answers can be, and usually are, "tilted" depending on how and to whom the questions were posed.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:28 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Phoenix and Tucson have some pretty sizable gay scenes, DT PHX is strikingly gay sometimes. This is a dumb study.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:02 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
We have a TON of homosexuals at my place of employment. I honestly didn't know there were that many around until I took this job. They have no trouble at work and are very open about their orientation. This article doesn't represent what I've seen.

I think this is more of the nonsense that is spouted around here about the Arizona being bigoted and unwelcoming when that actually isn't the case at all. It is just the vocal minority yelling louder than anyone else so people start believing it is true.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...be-gay-in.html

One of the key things that we need to change about this state. We need to be more welcoming no matter how you identify sexually. Having equality policies in place is a great factor that aids in recruiting masses of talent to current businesses.
I'm guessing the Qr Folk by 7th St and Indian School never got the word that Arizona hates gays.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 AM

472 posts, read 668,721 times
Nowadays being a gay seems like a trophy every gay wants to show off. The fact is I am not a gay, I don't hate gay, and I don't want to hear anything about gay. What is "gay friendly" anyway? I have to be really nice to you because you are a gay???

Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
Nowadays being a gay seems like a trophy every gay wants to show off. The fact is I am not a gay, I don't hate gay, and I don't want to hear anything about gay. What is "gay friendly" anyway? I have to be really nice to you because you are a gay???
Obviously you don't get it. They are not asking for special treatment. They just want to be treated like everyone else and not be discriminated against. My guess is you prefer it to be like it was in the past when homosexuals hid their orientation and pretended to be straight. So now when they just want to be able to come out, some people like yourself will insinuate that they are pushing their sexual orientation too much. What you fail to understand is they were facing so much discrimination and while it has improved, they still experience it. For example, it is absolutely asinine that Arizona as a STATE does not have an antidiscrimination law for homosexuals. It's nice to see that Tempe and Phoenix have it but the state as a whole should have it. Nonetheless, anti-discrimination laws for gays will one day affect all states just like gay marriage from the Supreme Court. Arizona might as well get on the right side of history and enact it now.

Furthermore, it is good for our economy. Gay couples are statistically better educated and higher earning than straight couples. So as a state, we want to recruit more educated higher earning people in general regardless of their sexual orientation. Failing to be progressive in this arena hurts our economy. So when you guys complain about "Where are the jobs" or "Why are there not more high paying jobs" Well all of this adds up. We need to position our state in a better light. The state earned a reputation for being intolerant since Jan Brewer took over. We need to reverse that and one way we can do that is by adopting a state-wide anti-discrimination law against homosexuals.

And I agree with others that we are much more tolerant than our reputation. In 2006, voters reject an anti-gay marriage bill; granted they approved it 2 years later but it shows that our state is not as conservative as it is often suggested. It's also nice that Phoenix and Tempe have anti-discrimination laws against homosexuals. And we approved gay marriage before the Supreme Court ruling. However, we could still improve and the state should have an anti-discrimination law.

Gay Couples More Educated, Higher-Income Than Heterosexual Couples - US News

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-28-2015 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona