Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 06:30 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post

While you would know better than me, are you sure you're remembering things accurately? When people are in a situation they don't want to be in, or resist a new location, they tend to reflect on the past and have a skewed version of the way things used to be. This happened to me just three years ago: I had to relocate to Oklahoma and loathed it, even considering trying to reapply to the job I had in Asia because I was remembering it to be better. However, I took a vacation and had to change planes there (with an extremely long layover) so I went into the city. Upon returning to the airport, I realized that going back there would've been a mistake for my then future plans. Similarly, I hated living in Oklahoma, and my recollection was shifting to make my time there seem even better than it was. Sure, I loved living there at the time, but I'm at a different point in life now, and had I tried to go back it would've been counterproductive to my goals.

Maybe the Bay Area isn't right for you, and maybe the Valley is (or isn't), but as of now it seems like you wish to reclaim a life you can't have, because it no longer exists. Should you come back, it will be a different life. I think it's best to try to remember it for the way it really is, not through the lens of homesickness.
You are right and what you say is correct. It's that constant struggle between my heart and my mind. I know that I am trying to reclaim a life I used to have and I keep telling myself to 'stop'. It's hard, though. Homesickness is one of those things that make you look at things very unrealistically. What's that saying.. the only thing that survives off of the past is a museum. Facebook has been doing this for me, too, as I see pictures and people having a good time. I look at my friends' pictures on facebook and I really shouldn't do that. The reality is that if I moved back, I'd rarely see them. Things wouldn't be the way they were before... not now, not ever.
I do feel a little better this week. I'm not missing AZ the way I was last week and two weeks ago. I should probably stay off facebook.

I know I need to just buckle down and busy myself with getting acclimated to my new surroundings. I'm hoping the New Year will do this for me. Thanks for your 'reality check'. I needed to hear it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 AM

20 posts, read 21,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I'll tell you what, when we visited California for the first time after moving to Arizona we were ready to move again! We were sucked in by the ocean, weather and lifestyle. Mind you, we had no clue of the COL and were blind to how crowded it was. Subsequent visits, talking with locals and people like yourself gave us a more realistic, grounded perspective on life there. We still LOVE visiting and enjoying all the state has to offer, but have squashed any idea of relocating there. I have family who live there and love it, but even they discouraged us from trying to move there.

I am glad to hear you enjoy Arizona. It took me two years just to begin adjusting to life here in the desert. Admittedly, I did attempt to leave...twice! I struggled to let go of my life and memories back east which made it hard for me to see the blessing in front of me! I now love the Sonoran desert and its uniqueness. I am realizing that while Arizona is not for everyone, it seems to fit me. It's not a flashy, sexy place to live (like LA or NY), but life here is steady...and somewhat laid back. That works for me. Arizona is becoming a popular place to relocate for many people and will continue to be so.
Nice, well Im glad you loved Clalifornia. I was born and raised there. Like I said I battled for years to leave that place. And I finally had the courage to do it. But let me tell you I too aswell just visited Cali recently, exactly a year after I moved. And was I surprised on how overcrowded it felt. I just dint see it the same anymore. Yea I missed my family which is the downfall for me being here. But when I think cost of living here in AZ its on of the biggest upsides. And when I think of that honestly I feel so relieved to be here in the beatiful Arizona desert. And yes I did too struggle in the beginning to be here aswell. And being a bit homesick blind sided me aswell for a good while. But I saw so much potential here and I stuck to my guns about it. And now Ive accustomed myself to the lifestyle out here. AZ is home now and I love it out here.

Last edited by Greeniis78; 12-22-2015 at 12:41 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,316 times
Hi SageCats, was just checking in. I know it's been a few years for you. You see I recently moved out here from AZ and it has been a year and find myself in somewhat of a similar situation, but add 2 young kids to the picture. A middle class family, as one post mentioned, isn't easy out here.

That said, did you end up sticking it out in SF? If yes, do you feel it was worth sticking it out here or do you ever look back thinking you should have gone back. Sorry if this drudged up any unwanted thoughts/emotions.

Thanks and hope it all worked out for you.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:37 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marimarme View Post
Hi SageCats, was just checking in. I know it's been a few years for you. You see I recently moved out here from AZ and it has been a year and find myself in somewhat of a similar situation, but add 2 young kids to the picture. A middle class family, as one post mentioned, isn't easy out here.

That said, did you end up sticking it out in SF? If yes, do you feel it was worth sticking it out here or do you ever look back thinking you should have gone back. Sorry if this drudged up any unwanted thoughts/emotions.

Thanks and hope it all worked out for you.
Welcome to city-data forums. However just as a FYI, you'll see that under Sage Cats' user name it says, "not a member". Take a look at sage cats' profile and it looks like he/she hasn't been around for over a year. And there's more, but I will let you or anyone else to see for themselves.

Where did you move to that you now miss AZ? Because, Arizona is a terrible placeâ„¢️.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:38 PM

134 posts, read 96,123 times
Hi, I am not from Arizona but have moved to new cities a few times. I think you are very HOMESICK! :-) It's normal to feel like that when you are in a newer place especially once the newness of it wears off, you go back to thinking "why did I leave?" It is normal to compare, and usually whatever your hometown has, you will think of as better! :-)

You will eventually meet and hang out with new people IF you allow it, not if you keep to yourself.

Is your move temporary? if so, think that soon this will only be part of your story to remember the places you've been when you are back in your home and neighborhood of AZ. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
After living in AZ for almost a decade, I moved to the SF Bay area due to employment. I currently rent out my home and went from living in a 2000 sq ft home to a 1 bedroom apt, 700 sq ft and rent is twice my mortgage. I haven't been here long - barely a few weeks. I miss Arizona so much. I don't know what to do. I miss my beautiful house. Although I didnt have many friends due to AZ's transient nature, the few I had I miss immensely. In my mind, I compare AZ to CA constantly. Has anyone else moved away and miss AZ? Has anyone returned? Please share your stories to help me cope. Thank you.
I was in Ca for 35 years and moved to AZ to retire. I can't imagine living in CA anymore. Traffic, cost of living, people aren't nearly as friendly as the Valley. Broken and broke CA government and run by folks who could care less about the financial stability.

Your feelings are real and valid in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 17,764 times
I moved from AZ to SC in 2003, after living in AZ for 15 years. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Not that AZ is heaven on earth, there are plenty of thing wrong with it. Heat, traffic, undocumented aliens, poor schools, drug addicts and other criminal trash and some of the most obnoxious young people I have found anywhere. But if you are into the outdoors, it is heaven, and you get away from it all, and have pretty much all of the state as your personal playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona