Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:05 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,484 times

Advertisements

I'm having a house built soon and the builder said I can have the a/c on the roof or on the ground. If it's on the roof it'll be a heat pump package. If it's on the ground the builder said it'll be a split system with the furnace in the garage. Is ground or roof better here in Arizona? I'm leaning towards ground, although I prefer the package system over a split system. Reason I'm thinking ground is because my current house had problems with rain leaking into the house around the a/c and several roofers attempted to fix the leak and couldn't, so I ended up getting a new roof. Putting it on the ground would eliminate one place the roof can leak, but I'd like to hear the pros and cons for either way. Also, is there any difference in electricity consumption between a package and a split system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,281 times
This is Az, what rain? All of the homes I have owned or rented in AZ have had the A/C on the roof with no leakage problems. The only exception was 1 home with the A/C on the ground. It was on the cement slab in the backyard and when it ran, it made conversation difficult and it limited the use of the area around it because of the heat that came off of it. I'd put it on the roof.

Curly

Old 10-06-2015, 09:23 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Most newer homes have split systems with the AC unit on the ground. As for efficiency, what are the SEER and/or EER ratings of the units being sold to you? If the SEER and/or EER ratings are the same they should be comparable, however, higher SEER/EER units are generally only available as split systems.

Also, I assume the split system being sold to you will include a gas furnace, is that correct? While electric heat pumps can have similar or better operating costs in our climate, many prefer the comfort of a gas furnace, which I presume is the reason why many tract home builders continue to install them in communities with available gas service.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 AM

It will be electric. I don't like gas at all. The builder mentioned a 14 SEER.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
This is Az, what rain?
LOL! That's what I thought when I moved here. But apparently I moved to the wet part of the state. Last year our monsoon didn't want to end. Then we had a wet fall, a wet winter and a wet spring. Then monsoon again. My yard has been pure mud for most of the past 12 months. Funny, I don't remember moving to Seattle.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:43 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
I have had both and frankly I do prefer ground AC units just for aesthetic reasons since you can hide them behind a half-wall or in a side yard, etc. BUT, you have to have room for them on the ground and ideally in a place that won't be an eyesore and won't communicate too much noise into the house or outdoor living space. On some of the postage stamp-sized lots, this can be tricky to manage. Also, if you have a roof mounted unit, it's more trouble to get up on the roof to check on them, and if you have to replace it, be prepared for pay for the crane rental.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 PM

I'll have 3 acres, so plenty of room. I do like how quiet the roof unit on my current house is. But I can't climb roofs anymore so anything that has to be done requires hiring someone.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Don't put it on the roof! We had a place with A/C on the roof and every time it kicked on, you'd hear it - and almost have a heart attack if you were in the room below it. Never again.

Get gas heat. Electricity costs way more and will likely soar in price in the coming years as the EPA closes electric generators for almost any excuse. Gas is cheaper and will likely stay that way.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Decisions . . . decisions, TheMudPuppy.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, however, I would go with the Roof Unit primarily due to the lack of noise as well as the access for the critters.

Remember, if the Roof Unit is more difficult for you to inspect or service, it will also be more difficult for the critters to invade and call home.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Don't put it on the roof! We had a place with A/C on the roof and every time it kicked on, you'd hear it - and almost have a heart attack if you were in the room below it. Never again.

Get gas heat. Electricity costs way more and will likely soar in price in the coming years. Gas is cheaper and will likely stay that way.
LOL! Yeah, it does take you by surprise when you're right under it. I got used to it though.

Not gonna go with gas. I know it's cheaper, but there is no gas service out there yet so I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny to bring it in. Plus, I had gas once and never felt comfortable with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona