Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,749 times

Advertisements

I recently got married and shifted to Chandler, Arizona.

I used to live in a really hot and humid (over 90% humidity everyday) place. I have never used any facial creams in my life. I like the humid heat more than the dry heat because I never had problems with my skin in that weather and I am so used to it, (though many people here seem to prefer this dry heat).

I would like a few tips from people here. What kind of lotions do I need? Would buying a humidifier help?

My skin turns dry and white all the time. The skin in my finger tips seems to be peeling off. I used a shea butter Dove moisturizer during the past few months.

But once winter started, my skin is becoming worse, I feel a slight itch (or am I just imagining it?).

My long hair is super dry ( I'm thinking of cutting it upto my shoulders.)

Just give me your suggestions. What do you all do for skin care and hair care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:15 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
I use Hylunia products for my face...coconut oil is good for all skin and hair (to deep condition).

I'd have your fingertips checked by a doctor, that doesn't sound normal to me.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2015, 12:20 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Vaseline intensive care.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I use Hylunia products for my face...coconut oil is good for all skin and hair (to deep condition).

I'd have your fingertips checked by a doctor, that doesn't sound normal to me.

Good luck!
Not all my fingers are like that. Just the thumb and the forefinger of my right hand. I think that it might be due to cooking and washing the dishes. Now that I think about it, my mom's right hand fingers are always rough because of the cooking.

Thank you for the tips

Old 11-18-2015, 12:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times
Everyone's skin and hair is so different. You could get 100 answers and still not find a product you like.

I use Yes to Grapefruit moisturizer for face during the day. It's light and has SPF and is comfortable under makeup. I use whatever I have on hand for nighttime moisture, usually the vitamin C stuff from Body Shop. Go HEAVY moisturizing at night.

Eucerin is an emulsion, meaning oil suspended in liquid. It tends to be very rich and moisturizing for body care. It's one of the most moisturizing lotions you can buy. If nothing else works, try Eucerin. Personally, I can get by with Bath and Body Works lotions.

Agree with AdventureGirl, I'd ask a doctor about your hands. Could be any number of conditions. If it's eczema, many OTC creams aren't going to help and you might need a steroid cream instead. Keep your hands as dry as possible and don't use hand sanitizer. Avon has some really good hand creams that work but absorb well and they are cheap. (I can't stand the Neutrogena hand cream that's like vaseline and makes your hands all slimy and sticky) Read the reviews on their website - there's a holiday version hand cream that people swear by, and when I tried it I liked it too! You can probably find an Avon rep to give you samples, too.

Keep your hair trimmed of dry ends and try a leave-in conditioner. Always use a leave in conditioner before you blow dry. I like Beauty Without Cruelty leave-in. I also got a free sample of Suave Professionals leave in that I used on a recent trip and it was surprisingly good. Suave gives away lots of free samples on their website.

Google for free samples (or head over to the Deals, Coupons, and Free Stuff forum here where Bob posts a lot of great freebies, sometimes lotions and hair products) and start getting samples of things to see what you might like.

I've never done the humidifier thing but sleeping next to one might help? Lots of people at work keep personal-sized humidifiers at their desks.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:55 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
They make gloves (and socks) to wear at night that basically you put lotion/cream all over your hands and then put the gloves/socks on and let it soak in all night. I have seen these for sale in department stores and I'm sure online, seems like they would work.

For cleaning, dishes, etc, my best advice is think about wearing gloves more often while doing the household chores. Doing the dishes with no gloves on here will leave your hands hurting but if you put gloves on the whole time, problem solved.

I don't really enjoy using moisturizer etc. because it feels sticky/slimy to me but sometimes you have no choice and you just have to get used to doing it during the winter/dry seasons here so your skin doesn't itch.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:45 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Cutting your hair is a good idea - especially for the heat. It is easier to condition shorter hair, too.
For lotion, trader Joes has good hand lotion that's intense. It works great for dry skin. If you have a Costco membership, buy Cetaphil lotion and/or Aveeno lotion.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:55 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Good to use skin lotion, lip balm, etc of your choice of course as has been mentioned(I use coconut oil once in a while that works really well) but don't forget the important element of a healthy diet to moisturize from the inside out to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Ground flax seeds, avocado, walnuts, celery, etc. are some good ones but of course there are more. And of course drinking enough water.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
^^^^ ALL excellent advice above! Here's another:

Remember to bathe at least once per month -- whether you need it or not!

Old 11-20-2015, 06:10 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post

Remember to bathe at least once per month -- whether you need it or not!
Obviously you don't care about the water shortage in AZ.

If you MUST bathe, do it with a friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona