Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,818,804 times

Advertisements

The west valley does have a sort of Old West ghost town out Hwy 60 Morristown way called Western Trails Ranch. They have roping, events for kids, a couple of restaurants, a bar, and I think two stages. Live music. Bring a horse if you've got one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 06:48 AM

4,055 posts, read 5,070,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
When I interviewed for my first job in AZ, the man who interviewed me was wearing a Bolo tie. Anyway, there's more of a cowboy culture in AZ than there is in most other states.
Well that is the "State Tie" you know.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,547,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
My friend who lives in Phoenix says there is not cowboy culture there so to speak, and that hordes of people from Los Angeles have moved to Arizona in last decade changing things for the worst( at least in Phoenix). I was wondering if Arizona still has some pockets of a "cowboy" or western culture just like Montana, Wyoming or Texas.
Out in Gilbert there are still many small ranchers and farmers and yes, cowboys/gals. They ride their horses to the grocery store sometimes. They still do rodeos, etc. Every other yard outside of the track homes has barrels for barrel ridding. I'm not sure what a "true" cowboy would be but close enough.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,144,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yeah, what Packard said. That's why I changed my location from the "wild west" to "a valley by a river" the west sadly isn't so wild anymore. Thanks a lot California. There's still a handful of cowboys in Mohave County and the AZ Strip. Some of us, gals included, still think we're cowboys, at heart anyway.

At least I've got an old truck with wind up windows and no AC. And I can still ride a horse, d*nm stupid horses... Gimme my rice rocket!

The only cowboys left in Phoenix are the Cartel Cowboys... Sigh.

I remember as a kid the indians would have a big summer rondevous in Flagstaff, you could camp in Zion for free, and the cowboys wore turcoise belt buckles and hats and drove old trucks and still carried six shooters in gun belts. This was about 25 years before plastic guns, real cowboys carried steel and had to get out of the truck in the snow and lock the hubs for 4wd.

I spend a lot of time traveling the western states, there's still a few cowboys left in Woyming, and NW New Mexico, south and SW Colorado, west Utah, don't know about Montana, but the west is shrinking.

And to make matters even worse the Indians dress like cowboys these days.
Isn't that a line from an old country/western song, Cherokee Fiddle? Something about Indians dressing like cowboys and cowboys wearing turquoise?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:05 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,941,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but I think western style wide-brimmed hats are the norm for sheriff departments and state police all around the country, and are not just found in Texas and Wyoming. I don't think I've ever seen a NYS trooper or any deputy sheriff in New York wearing anything but unless they were in riot gear or riding motorcycles and wore helmets.
You're mixing up a western hat, like a Stetson, with a campaign hat. NY State Troopers, AZ DPS Officers, and army drill sergeants -to name a few- wear campaign hats. Both have wide brims all around but the styles are different. Some law enforcement agencies do wear more cowboy-hat style uniform hats (like in Texas).

Old 12-04-2015, 12:43 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,729,852 times
How western and cowboy are we talking about? If you mean the equestrian community, there is all kinds of action. Check out Bridle & Bit magazine. It's Arizona based and has info about events. Also WestWorld in Scottsdale is a venue for competitions including horse shows (various breeds/disciplines), ropings, etc. There are lots of western horse trainers and breeders in Arizona.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,178,124 times
We have cowboy culture up here in the Verde Valley

Old 12-04-2015, 09:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,053,242 times
Well, this video is six years old, but show a bit of western/cowboy culture if'n y'all ask me . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiIQRZlusbo

Old 12-05-2015, 07:41 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,570,819 times
Quote:
Does Arizona have a western or cowboy culture?
Yep! As the previous responses indicate, we're here... we're there... we're everywhere. Always have been; always will be. Now leave us all alone. We ain't botherin nobody!

Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,412,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Well, this video is six years old, but show a bit of western/cowboy culture if'n y'all ask me . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiIQRZlusbo
Freat find, now have to see the rest....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona