Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that gun rights attract people to Arizona?
yes 22 42.31%
no 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
The list is much longer for lower living expenses

food is cheaper

insurance is cheaper

clothing is cheaper

Food in restaurants is cheaper. Groceries are NOT across the board.

Insurance, not cheaper.

Clothing in Arizona is generally more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
I don't think gun rights exclusively attract people, but it's a piece of a bigger picture. The gun laws do speak to attitudes in general, IMO.

One of the best features about Arizona is that it hasn't been polluted or diseased by the typical eastern nanny state mentality, which is to say, making sure that everyone's decisions have been made for them.

Our city mountain parks are a simple example, and something that we take for granted. On many trails, you could find a way to fall and die pretty easily, but that rarely happens. In hot weather, you could just plain die from heat, but the decision to explore in hot weather is left up to you. It's not decided for you when the temperature reaches 95 degrees and parks are shuttered until months later when they become "safe" for the general public again. Back east, many of the things that we take for granted out here would be walled off, repaved, fenced, or otherwise altered to prevent Darwin's next gum-snapping victims from bumbling off a cliff while not paying attention.

Extend this type of thinking to many other things.

To me, our gun laws are just another extension of those attitudes. We have space, we have natural beauty, we have endless things to explore, no shortage of sunshine, and we have some easy going common sense laws that don't infringe on civil, responsible people. So it's probably not just gun laws alone that draw people to Arizona, but many things combined, that become very alluring. It's not for everyone either. There are other sunny destinations that offer a variety of political climates. And, while Arizona isn't perfect, to people who are tired of the same old political shtick of eastern cities and states, Arizona has a lot to offer.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:29 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Insurance, not cheaper.

My car insurance was $855 per year back home. It is $660 here with the same coverage. That's a pretty big cut.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:50 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
Quote:

Insurance, not cheaper.

We are only comparing these 4 states mentioned in the census
Illinois, California, New Jersey, New York,

From what state are you comparing food costs?

It is only common sense that if a state has higher taxes,higher housing costs,hjjjjunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniu then everything stands to be more expensive because everyone has to make more to be able to afford the taxes and also be able to pay their living expenses.

I find food is 20-30% cheaper because there are so many grocery store chains here and because we are close to Mexico and Cali

What type of insurance home,car, health are you saying is more expensive and compared to what state?
In Illinois I have been told property taxes are double or triple to what they are in AZ?

Clothing is cheaper because you only really need summer clothes here and a winter jacket, I wear shorts all year round here and short sleeve shirts, no need for winter clothes. However I find because of all the competition from so many clothing stores that clothes are cheaper here as well.

Last edited by autism360; 12-30-2015 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 06:05 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,242 times
Quote:

Insurance, not cheaper.

That all depends where you're coming from. I took everything into consideration when deciding to move here:

Groceries are a lot cheaper here 20-30%

House & auto insurance are again 20-30%

Clothing is by far cheaper as there's no need for all the winter stuff you need back east

Smaller its require a lot less money and maintenance.

I now have no need for lawnmowers,snowblowers,leaf blowers,weed wackers, fertilizer and spreaders. All those need gas,oil and maintenance. I had over an acre of lawn to take care of and just the fertilizer alone was over $600.00/yr. add in the cost of all the equipment I was over $5,000.00

Old 12-30-2015, 08:59 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
That all depends where you're coming from. I took everything into consideration when deciding to move here:

Groceries are a lot cheaper here 20-30%

House & auto insurance are again 20-30%

Clothing is by far cheaper as there's no need for all the winter stuff you need back east

Smaller its require a lot less money and maintenance.

I now have no need for lawnmowers,snowblowers,leaf blowers,weed wackers, fertilizer and spreaders. All those need gas,oil and maintenance. I had over an acre of lawn to take care of and just the fertilizer alone was over $600.00/yr. add in the cost of all the equipment I was over $5,000.00
that's truly incredible. 600 bucks a year for fertilizing your lawn?!?!?!? You were clearly living a life of excess consumption where ever you moved from. Public transit in Phoenix do suck balls though, it can't be denied.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Boy, there's a big disconnect between your "poll" and the title to your thread and the main subject. If you wanted to talk about the question in your poll, that's a whole separate issue than this census data.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times

Howdy Pardner...welcome

Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Boy, there's a big disconnect between your "poll" and the title to your thread and the main subject. If you wanted to talk about the question in your poll, that's a whole separate issue than this census data.
It's another soapbox agenda. What else is new? Some people like to wear their politics on their sleeves and shout from bullhorns. I find the extreme fringes of both liberal and conservative agendas extremely flawed and hypocritical.

Back to planet Earth, I hope everyone has a fantastic New Year!

Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Perhaps it seems a bit off topic but with crime and terrorism increasing, personal protection and safety for a person's family start to become more of an issue in deciding where to live.
Sadly thanks to certain politicians in both parties that could care less about doing their number 1 duty of protecting this country we have to start thinking more about how to protect ourselves since we cannot rely on the government to protect us.

Last edited by autism360; 12-31-2015 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona