U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:57 PM

5,202 posts, read 4,727,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
This dialect test was created at Harvard. It's VERY accurate. Arizonans actually have our own dialect.

It will break it down by City. The uploaded didn't pinpoint the cities, but the test actually matched me with Glendale/Phoenix/Tucson. It picks the three cities you speak most like, all of mine were in AZ.

Enjoy Folks.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-quiz-map.html
So I took this and my most three similar are Glendale (I am from West Valley, raised in Peoria/Surprise/Glendale so this is accurate) Wichita, KS; and Lincoln, NE.

Well... lol. Well Lincoln isn't too far from Iowa I suppose. I'm not sure if at the end it ranks them in order by which one is most similar if that is the case, I am most similar to Wichita, then Lincoln, then my actual hometown of Glendale.

Kansas and Nebraska are the deepest red for me overall (across the whole states).

My least similar are Providence, RI; Newark, NJ; and Jersey City, NJ. I was kind of hoping Boston would be one of my least similar since their accent makes me cringe but that's ok... Providence is close enough.

http://nyti.ms/1R5AXpe

Thanks by the way for sharing this! It's pretty cool. I still have no explanation for why I sound like I'm from Kansas or Nebraska, but I guess I have to figure that out.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 02-15-2016 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Added more content
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,005,114 times
It had Baton Rouge, where my mother lived, some of my kids live there. Birmingham, close to where I live, and Jackson, where I had relatives, but not Atlanta where I was raised?

Old 02-15-2016, 11:54 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,292,340 times
Quote:
This dialect test was created at Harvard. It's VERY accurate. Arizonans actually have our own dialect.

It will break it down by City. The uploaded didn't pinpoint the cities, but the test actually matched me with Glendale/Phoenix/Tucson. It picks the three cities you speak most like, all of mine were in AZ.

Enjoy Folks.

I'm most similar with both Southern California and AZ. Both show up bright red. This test is so cool. I'm gonna rep you for that one.

Oh and my cities were Los Angeles, Phoenix and Denver.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,087,416 times
Giving the answers as to how I talk now, I got three cities in Texas: Brownsville, San Antonio and Austin.

I have never lived in Texas, and I most decidedly don't have a Texas/Southern accent. However, I guess perhaps I picked up some of the vocabulary from my relatives who are from Oklahoma/Texas when visiting as a child. Makes sense I guess.

I guess if I do have any sort of accent it would be the way I pronounce i's and e's, e.g. I say pin and pen, been and bin, etc. the same, and "if" sometimes sounds more like "ef" and so forth. It's not that noticeable to most people but some people have noticed it over the years.

EDIT -- I will recruit my wife who is a lifelong Arizonan to take this survey and see what she gets as well.

Last edited by ScottsdaleMark; 02-16-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 07:44 AM

8,127 posts, read 14,017,607 times
It put me right in Detroit. Neat test!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:07 AM

9,093 posts, read 17,544,468 times
I think I broke the quiz, it tells me there is an error and to check back later.

I've lived in a few different places so I'm curious fit the results. On a lot of the questions I use multiple answers, but tried to go with what I use most often now

Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM

509 posts, read 741,343 times
Quote:

Enjoy Folks.

That is pretty cool! It got very close for me. Gave me Fresno, CA (Along with 2 other California cities) and I was born in/lived just outside of Sacramento, CA for 25+ years

Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-16-2016, 09:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,087,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think I broke the quiz, it tells me there is an error and to check back later.

I've lived in a few different places so I'm curious fit the results. On a lot of the questions I use multiple answers, but tried to go with what I use most often now
I got the error in Chrome and IE, I had to do it on my phone finally. And there I got an error the 2nd time I took it, but it did work the 1st and 3rd times I did it on my phone. So you are not alone...keep trying...haha.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 AM

7,862 posts, read 5,355,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I got the error in Chrome and IE, I had to do it on my phone finally. And there I got an error the 2nd time I took it, but it did work the 1st and 3rd times I did it on my phone. So you are not alone...keep trying...haha.
I've had no issues w/ Firefox FWIW.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:32 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,008,534 times
My result was a little strange. I've lived close to Chicago all my life before recently moving to AZ. My result showed Grand Rapids, Detroit and Buffalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona