Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 03:21 PM

421 posts, read 391,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
interestingly, Iowa has been determined by linguists to be the state with the "least" accent, I've read....

I presume anybody has an accent if you're talking to somebody from far afield.....even rural vs. urban Arizona has noticeable distinctions, of course....
I recently moved to AZ after living in Iowa for 64 years. Took the quiz and the three cities it listed for me Des Moines, Omaha and Rockford Illinois. I lived 15 miles from Des Moines for my youth (until 22) and 3 miles from Omaha in Iowa for 42 years. Quite incredible lol. I do believe most Iowans feel we have the least accent of most Americans (at least the most generic or blah lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 04:20 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I had some guy from Canada tell me (this being when talking on the phone) that I had an accent, although he couldn't imitate or explain exactly "how" I had one.

More recently, I had a library co-worker tell me that I sound like I'm from Georgia, because I have a slight "Southern drawl".
That's funny...on the test (I've taken it a couple of times) I put that I say "you guys" because I do, but I have been known to say y'all and many years ago someone asked me what part of the south I am from.

Maybe I'll change that and a couple of others just to see, since I often say more than one thing (like "soda" instead of "Coke" or "water fountain" instead of "drinking fountain") but I tried to to with what came to mind first...

Well, this time Tucson, Albuquerque, and Fresno...interesting...

Old 04-29-2021, 02:45 AM

326 posts, read 673,086 times
Amazing test. I'm a German who only lived in AZ for one year 25 years ago. Prior to that I learned mostly British English in school and over the last couple of decades I've been speaking English mostly with fellow Europeans including Brits.

The test placed me in Glendale, Phoenix or Scottsdale, Arizona. All the same metro area where I actually lived for just one year 25 years ago. In fact I did live specifically in Glendale and Phoenix during my time in AZ. Fascinating.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:21 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
When I lived in Arizona I don't really remember any accent other than there were some "hick" type accents in the smaller towns. Seemed like the big city accents were all over the place depending on where somebody was from originally.

What I DID notice is that when I came back here to Oklahoma I could hear some accents from family members that I didn't hear before and don't hear now now that I live back around here.

As for the test. It nailed me. OKC-Tulsa-Springfield. The exact area I grew up in and live in now.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:32 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Took the test twice. Born in western Nebraska, lived in Colorado for 28 years, and lived in AZ for 5 years.

Results are Santa Rosa, Modesto and Reno. Not sure how I got the nor-cal area.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:02 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrilander View Post
Most of the people in AZ do not fully pronounce their words, drives me nuts! For example: Glendale is Glndle. Phonics, another issue. Example: Don is Don, and Dawn is Don too! Or they mispronounce (especially local news broadcasters). Kristy Seifkin on Fox10 (I know she`s originally from San Francisco) calls Mohave County - Mo-ha-VAY, Nogales - No-GAH-las. Pronounced Seligman - SLOG-man some years back. Kylee Cruz (Ch 3) sounds like she has marbles in her mouth when she speaks, one of the worst for not pronouncing her words. I know the West is a melting pot of transplants, I guess this is the end result.
I have never heard your Glendale example in the decade I have lived here. Everyone says Glen-dale with ease.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:54 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I have never heard your Glendale example in the decade I have lived here. Everyone says Glen-dale with ease.
I haven't heard it either in over 31 years; now that I've said that, maybe I will...

Old 05-03-2021, 06:17 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
One thing I want to know is why Prescott is pronounced Preskitt...
Oh god, here we go . . . . . .

Old 05-03-2021, 05:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Phonics would have to be the wildest pronunciation to have ever been heard. In all my years I have never heard that. I have however, seen people spell it that way... when a spelling is just messed up so bad it just turns humorous I was laughing pretty hard. Honestly if I heard someone unironically pronounce Phoenix as Phonics I might die a little inside.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Lived in Eastern AZ all my life, that map put me as Amarillo, Irving and San Antonio. Apparently I sound like a Texan.

I'll reflect what eddie gein said above, there is a definite "hick" accent in the smaller towns, I have one, relatives who live in California and Tucson have remarked on it. There was map I posted here years ago that showed my hometown (Safford) and Silver City, New Mexico within the same dialect/accent subgroup. Sandwiched between the Texas/Southern drawl and a Mountain West/Mormon accent. Harrison Schmitt sounds dead on like many people around me. Outside of that you do get the occasional Texas and/or cowboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dc5bD43I3U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona