U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 05:03 PM

7,986 posts, read 13,895,890 times

Advertisements

This test is asking if I call a road a freeway, expressway or highway. Another question was do I call a Traffic Circle a Round About or a Rotary. All the questions referred to regional names for whatever. So where is the basis for accent in this test?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 PM

3,044 posts, read 3,180,391 times
I don't believe it's all based on accent. Some of the questions asked are relative to regional areas. For instance, in AZ they call their state highways 'state routes' and interstates 'freeways'. Also I can easily pick out former Californians when they call I-17 or I-10 'the 17' or 'the 10'. When I lived in Colorado, nobody in their right mind would call I-25 'the 25'

Old 05-09-2021, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 5,109 times
It's a dry accent.
But it's also kinda hot.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:59 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,619,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
...I can easily pick out former Californians when they call I-17 or I-10 'the 17' or 'the 10'...
I still say this after living in Arizona for 31 years.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:48 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,051,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I am targeting this post to other Arizona natives, who haven't lived outside of the state for an extended period of time.

I am an Arizona native, my family has been here since territory days and most came here before WWII. Though I have no ties to people, family-wise, outside of Arizona, I am aware that my family has mostly come from the mid-Atlantic region... Eastern Maryland and Central Pennsylvania (slightly closer to Pittsburgh) in particular, with a splash of New York (the City and Ithaca region). Growing up I had no transplant friends either to "modify" my speech.

Here in college I meet a lot of out-of-state students, from the Northeast and Midwest region in particular. I keep getting told that I have an accent... a Midwest accent in particular. Some have even gone as far to say I sound like I'm from Iowa. And a lot of times this comes from people who are actually from the Midwest. I find this peculiar since I have not even put one toe in the Midwest, along with the people who raised me. I always assumed I had a "standard American" accent, one you'd associate with Californians and most of the country, rather than a unique one like a New York or Southern accent. But getting told this repeatedly makes me question my own speech.

Does any other natives to the Grand Canyon State get told they have an "accent"? Maybe not a Midwestern one in particular but... just not a "standard American" accent? I thought this was the accent characteristic to this region. I don't want to use myself as a poster child, but Arizona is the youngest state on the mainland, the population overall is new to the area so maybe Arizona is starting to develop its own unique accent? Any thoughts on the matter, or do I just talk strange?
I am indigenous from AZ and learned English as a 2nd language in early childhood. But I know have multiple graduate degrees with many years of work experience off the reservation.

In late middle age, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to speak English is with an Al Pacino accent.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:25 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,053,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
But I know have multiple graduate degrees

Old 05-17-2021, 09:35 AM

3,211 posts, read 4,629,747 times
I took the test : Chattanooga, Lexington, Louisville. I haven't ever been to any of those cities. Been close but passing through. LOL

I am 3rd gen West Texan , went to LA for undergrad and Dallas for grad., rest of time in WT.

Last edited by Rogarven; 05-17-2021 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-17-2021, 11:54 AM

2,372 posts, read 1,149,169 times
Interesting based on my recent experience staying for a month in the Lake Havasu area and western Arizona and met people who were there from all over NA. At least based on the license plates. Some come as snowbirds others come for boating activities on the lake.

Less from Canada and from Mexico these days likely due to continued COVID border and quarantine restrictions.

Interestingly while I didn't see any Texas plates however yet I met quite a number of people and business owners talking with a "Texan" accent.

And many love pickup trucks. And BBQ. I do see license plates from many many other states including even Alaska. It almost appears as if there were more out of state plates than Arizona plates.

Though interestingly on the flip side I also met people talking with a "Surfer" accent and look and talk like a surfer in everyway as well as "valley Girls" yes they do have Wakesurfing on the lake and the Colorado River and many of these same people also done ocean surfing in the past.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:22 PM

5,223 posts, read 4,760,743 times
I feel like this quiz will vary because everytime you take the test you will not get the same questions. But I generally always get Arizona as the main one, so it's pretty reliable as a whole.

Also wow, ancient thread.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:23 PM

5,223 posts, read 4,760,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I still say this after living in Arizona for 31 years.
I always say it that way too? Not sure what they're on about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona