Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 06:42 PM

270 posts, read 326,754 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to relocate, and Arizona is one of the places I've been looking into. Decent air (really clean air would be even better!) and low crime are my highest priorities. I'd also prefer somewhere that's politically moderate to conservative, has natural beauty and hiking opportunities, isn't too far from a hospital, and has some charm or history to it (not just strip malls and cookie-cutter new homes). I like tourists, so "touristy" isn't a problem.

General AZ stuff:
- I dislike marijuana (and drugs in general) and do not want to live in an area where I'm going to be smelling it everywhere-- does Arizona have a prominent stoner culture, pot dispensaries, etc.? Does legalization look probable?
- What kinds of natural disasters do you have there, and how often? Forest fires, floods, earthquakes? Any super-disasters looming on the horizon?
- How are taxes? Do they vary a lot between different counties?

I started out looking at Prescott, but am concerned about the halfway house issue and distance from a full-service hospital (seems odd for a place with so many retirees...). I like the historic cowboy stuff but not what seemed like a "biker bar" vibe (or am I mistaken on that?).
I'm also looking at the Sedona area. I'm not on any kind of spiritual journey, but it sure looks beautiful.
Do these seem like good places for me? Any other suggestions? Do you think I'm a good fit for Arizona in general?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 12,307 times
Although I am unsure if you are a good fit for Arizona, if anywhere you would definitely be looking at the more mid to northern areas such as Prescott or Sedona. Crime rates are decent. You don't seem to hear bad things happening in those areas. Plus Prescott and Sedona have more historic qualities. Hiking you can find just about anywhere in Arizona, even in the middle of the big cities. Clean air will be more of an issue the closer you get to the city or the more south you get.

As far as Marijuana, I'd say it will most likely become legal. There are dispensaries in many areas and farms to grow it in the northern areas. You will probably smell it frequently. In general, Arizona is a very laid back State. Although the laws are in place, drugs are still prominent whether you are north or south. You might get lucky in a neighborhood that doesn't have it around, but when going out and experiencing different events you will most likely smell pot from time to time.

With living up North there are forest fires that do happen every once in awhile. It is not as often, but more probable when living in Prescott or Sedona. Other than that, we have Monsoon season and Haboobs, which you will learn to love. Usually there are a few bad storms, but nothing to worry about.

The more North you get, the smaller that towns get which mean, the smaller the Hospitals. I would think that up North the best Hospital you will find will be in the Flagstaff area. With NAU being around their, you would be safe to assume it's a bunch college students who are a part of that "stoner culture" you were talking about.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,089,545 times
Fires, flooded washes, dopers, pot dispensaries on every corner, ignorant bubbas, snakes, scorpions, Black Widow spiders not to mention the dreaded Cone-nosed Kissing bugs. It's an aweful place. I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britanylynn View Post
Although I am unsure if you are a good fit for Arizona, if anywhere you would definitely be looking at the more mid to northern areas such as Prescott or Sedona. Crime rates are decent. You don't seem to hear bad things happening in those areas. Plus Prescott and Sedona have more historic qualities. Hiking you can find just about anywhere in Arizona, even in the middle of the big cities. Clean air will be more of an issue the closer you get to the city or the more south you get.

As far as Marijuana, I'd say it will most likely become legal. There are dispensaries in many areas and farms to grow it in the northern areas. You will probably smell it frequently. In general, Arizona is a very laid back State. Although the laws are in place, drugs are still prominent whether you are north or south. You might get lucky in a neighborhood that doesn't have it around, but when going out and experiencing different events you will most likely smell pot from time to time.

With living up North there are forest fires that do happen every once in awhile. It is not as often, but more probable when living in Prescott or Sedona. Other than that, we have Monsoon season and Haboobs, which you will learn to love. Usually there are a few bad storms, but nothing to worry about.

The more North you get, the smaller that towns get which mean, the smaller the Hospitals. I would think that up North the best Hospital you will find will be in the Flagstaff area. With NAU being around their, you would be safe to assume it's a bunch college students who are a part of that "stoner culture" you were talking about.
Thanks so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate it.

Sounds like I'm on the right track looking at Prescott and Sedona then. Forest fires aren't fun, but glad to hear that crime isn't a big concern and natural disasters are generally not either.

I'm a little surprised about the marijuana though; I had thought of Arizona as being more conservative, old-fashioned, traditional values, etc. Now, I don't care what people do in their homes, so long as I don't see or smell it-- and I think it's no surprise anywhere to catch a whiff at a large outdoor concert or similar. But smelling it frequently just walking around in public is not something I would've expected! Very interesting, and thanks again.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,981,741 times
Not that I want more retirees in Prescott, but your two main reasons for not coming, halfway houses and full service hospitals, shouldn't cause you to stay away.

The half way house situation is an issue but a minor one. It is blown out-of-proportion by old geezers living directly next to half way houses. Most of the kids up here in those houses will eventually fail, sadly, but for the most part while they are here they are trying to do their best and with the exception of some minor crime as they wash out there are very few issues with half way houses. At least the half way houses bring some people to Prescott to live that are under 55...

As to not having a full service hospital, there are two OK hospitals in the region. For specialty work I'd probably go to Phoenix, but for most things the medical care up here is fine, and they have plenty of experience dealing with issues common to retirees. I'd expect in the next five to ten years you will see a full service trauma center start up here as well.

Over all it is a nice place to live. Some decorative snow fall in the Winter, some cold then as well, Summers are hot but 10-15 degrees less than the Phoenix metro area, lot's of hiking, camping, beautiful lakes, decent shopping to where you really don't need to go anywhere else for things. It is also close to Phoenix airport which is an international hub.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 AM

Thanks for your response! I'm actually not a retiree and am significantly under 55, but my preferences/concerns about my next move do line up just about perfectly with that profile, don't they? (I don't mind; I've had my fill of "hip, young, exciting" and am ready for "normal".)

See, a halfway house opening up right next to me is one of my main concerns about them. I don't doubt some people probably blow it out of proportion, and I'm glad to hear that they're not as bad as some make them out to be, but to be perfectly honest it's still just not a neighbor I'd want. What do the "old geezers" living next to them complain about, specifically?

Glad to hear that the medical situation might be better than I had heard! And the weather sounds great, as does most of the rest.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:23 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,978,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Thanks so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate it.

Sounds like I'm on the right track looking at Prescott and Sedona then. Forest fires aren't fun, but glad to hear that crime isn't a big concern and natural disasters are generally not either.

I'm a little surprised about the marijuana though; I had thought of Arizona as being more conservative, old-fashioned, traditional values, etc. Now, I don't care what people do in their homes, so long as I don't see or smell it-- and I think it's no surprise anywhere to catch a whiff at a large outdoor concert or similar. But smelling it frequently just walking around in public is not something I would've expected! Very interesting, and thanks again.
Arizonans political history was that of libertarians and moderate Republicans. Live and let live, true today? To an extent. Arizona was actually a progressive state at its founding believe it or not and has many progressive policies in place. Namely water management.

Marijuana has two shots at being legalized this year and was legalized once in the 90s before our wonderfully wise and competent legislature protected us from ourselves.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Arizonans political history was that of libertarians and moderate Republicans. Live and let live, true today? To an extent. Arizona was actually a progressive state at its founding believe it or not and has many progressive policies in place. Namely water management.

Marijuana has two shots at being legalized this year and was legalized once in the 90s before our wonderfully wise and competent legislature protected us from ourselves.
Very interesting, thanks-- the way you describe it, Arizona sounds historically more similar to Oregon or Washington than I had expected. I had no idea Arizona had legalized marijuana once in the '90s.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,942,731 times
> Arizonans political history was that of libertarians and moderate Republicans.

Barry Goldwater warn't no moderate Republican. And Sher'f A ain't no moderate Republican.

It IS true that Arizona doesn't fit so neatly on the D-R axis. One difference from other Republican states is little religious Republican influence.

Having said all that, the very nature of a Republican is in considerable flux and we might have to wait for it to shake out before deciding who is a Republican.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:47 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,978,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> Arizonans political history was that of libertarians and moderate Republicans.

Barry Goldwater warn't no moderate Republican. And Sher'f A ain't no moderate Republican.

It IS true that Arizona doesn't fit so neatly on the D-R axis. One difference from other Republican states is little religious Republican influence.

Having said all that, the very nature of a Republican is in considerable flux and we might have to wait for it to shake out before deciding who is a Republican.
Goldwater had a libertarian bend and Arpaio isn't history yet...unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Very interesting, thanks-- the way you describe it, Arizona sounds historically more similar to Oregon or Washington than I had expected. I had no idea Arizona had legalized marijuana once in the '90s.
You'd be surprised in the drift between our leaders and our residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona