Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

Last night I kept the window open to enjoy the cool air. Shortly after 3am there was a commotion of howling & yipping. I get the howling was from wolves but what does all that yipping?

What kind of weird animals live in this terrible place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 07:01 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
I honestly do not know if you were hearing any wolves. Coyotes though for sure.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
probably vampires returning home after Halloween..

Old 11-02-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I honestly do not know if you were hearing any wolves. Coyotes though for sure.
I just realized that. Wolves=Minnesota, Coyotes, Arizona. That explains the howling but do they also yip? Sounded like a bunch of them out there.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:50 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I just realized that. Wolves=Minnesota, Coyotes, Arizona. That explains the howling but do they also yip? Sounded like a bunch of them out there.
Meo, this article may be helpful:

https://www.desertusa.com/animals/coyote.html

Old 11-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Meo, this article may be helpful:

https://www.desertusa.com/animals/coyote.html
That was very helpful. Thank you Colt. I didn't realize they yelped as well as howled.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
One night while camping in the woods near here several years ago, I heard some really terrible noises with a tiny bit of howling and yipping mixed in. It was spooky. Maybe a pack of coyotes cornered a big foot? LOL.

Seriously, they can make some serious noise.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 PM

812 posts, read 795,276 times
Yes, coyotes can be quite vocal! I love hearing them though. AZ has some wolves, Mexican gray wolves, over in the White Mountains.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 AM

287 posts, read 897,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2AZ View Post
I talk to people frequently about living in AZ and it's commonly the same displeasures about heat, drugs, desert landscape, rocks, dirt, etc.

As a native to the PNW, I cannot tell you how appealing the HEAT... HOT HOT CLIMATE really is. Crime, drugs, extremely high priced housing, ridiculously snobby people, homeless population is insane the population continues to grow at an alarming rate...etc, etc. All of these things continue to plague the state of Oregon. So much rain, gray skies for so much of the year, HORRIBLE traffic and no grid system to accommodate the continuous growth.

I have to wonder if those who have grown up in AZ have dislikes simply from a lifetime of exposure, where my wife and I actually enjoy spending time during the summer in AZ. The triple digits are the most appealing to us. People use sun lamps around here to try and counter the depression they experience from the months gray, dark and rainy weather we get every year. I have never heard of anyone living in a sunny climate who needed a cloud lamp to offset the frequent sunlight.

I'm sure it's all relative, but my wife and I will be calling Arizona our home by the end of next summer. Phoenix, Gilbert, Peoria...all being looked at. I can understand desert setting may not appeal to everyone, but there is so much openness and room to grow in AZ. Genuinely cannot wait to have our home sold and make a life where we can dry out after more than 45 years in the PNW.

You will also encounter crime and traffic, snobby people, and homelessness here in AZ as well. You really can't get away from any of that here (this article came out 2 years ago but is still relevant: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ear-stuck.html). My experience with many who are from colder, wetter, dreary climates (my husband included) is that they love it here. I've been here long enough to be considered a native and I can tell you that I myself get tired of the blue skies, the lack of rain (its been MONTHS since its rained), the pollution, etc. (I suffer from migraines because of it - the pollution and dryness. Often can tell when it will be a high pollution day just on how my head feels). Long term water availability will most likely become an issue in the future. BUT I do travel and when I return I understand the lure of the open sky. We do have some of the most beautiful sunsets (thanks in large part to the pollution).

I don't think Phoenix is any worse then anywhere else. If we have the heat they have soggy days; if we have monsoons, they have tornadoes; if we have dryness, they have 3 feet of snow AND they have to drive in it. Its really personal preference. At the end of the day, maybe its more of an issue about familiarity breeds contempt?

Old 11-03-2017, 01:50 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
There is crime and traffic and snobby people everywhere in the usa, so of course you will see it here too..
The same goes for pollution, and since moving here from northern illinois, I have gone from daily allergy meds to never taking a single pill, for almost 3 months.
And, the trade off of months and months of sunny gorgeous weather, versus, rain/cold/weeks of clouds/snow/sub zero,and all the other krap you encounter almost every where else in the USA makes Phoenix a home run in my book.
Everyone obviously has their own opinions, but I cant fathom every wanting to leave this paradise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona