Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing 37 acres in SMR- unit 1. (If all goes well). I have a few questions though for those that live there or near by.
1- Do you have a septic? Any issues in getting a perk test to pass? how much did the septic cost to install?
2- Do you have a well? If so, which aquifer did you tap into and how much did it cost you?
3- I saw somewhere if you put a ranch fence up your taxes go up due to free range laws... is that true? If so, how much of an increase are we talking?
4- For people that are only there on weekends or a few times a year, how do you properly and safely store things? If we have a structure with a lock is the structure going to be broken into?
5- What kind of wildlife do you really have? I saw jackrabbits and cows...what else roams there? (please include all wildlife not just big ones)
6- Did you negotiate your price or did you pay the asking price?
7- Any issues with the POA that I should know up front?
8-Any issues with First United Realty or the trust company that I should be aware of?
9-What do you know now that you wish you knew before you purchased?

I am trying to get as much information as possible before making an investment. I have done my homework but I want to know things from people living there. I would have knocked on a door but when we went up there were no structures we saw except for a shed on parcel 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:20 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
First United Realty...found this on line....buyer beware....their words, not mine.

For securing personal property...invest in a steel shipping container...but be aware, a lock only keeps an honest person honest.

Land deals like these are all over the west, where open land was once commonplace. Someone got the idea that marketing to folks who wanted a place to "get away from it all", (if only for a couple of months a year) was a good way to make money....they were right....there is no end to new prospective buyers. St Johns is not the middle of nowhere, but as they say, you can see it from there.

Good luck to you....at least you are asking questions....before buying.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 07-11-2016 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,216 times
Hello,

Is this the ranch lands close to mile marker 333 off of 191?
We have property in the Sierra Highlands Ranch, and we were wondering if anyone has had any luck with putting in a well? Or, if a community well has been established?

Thanks,

breatheasy

Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM

271 posts, read 257,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndan View Post
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing 37 acres in SMR- unit 1. (If all goes well). I have a few questions though for those that live there or near by.
1- Do you have a septic? Any issues in getting a perk test to pass? how much did the septic cost to install?
2- Do you have a well? If so, which aquifer did you tap into and how much did it cost you?
3- I saw somewhere if you put a ranch fence up your taxes go up due to free range laws... is that true? If so, how much of an increase are we talking?
4- For people that are only there on weekends or a few times a year, how do you properly and safely store things? If we have a structure with a lock is the structure going to be broken into?
5- What kind of wildlife do you really have? I saw jackrabbits and cows...what else roams there? (please include all wildlife not just big ones)
6- Did you negotiate your price or did you pay the asking price?
7- Any issues with the POA that I should know up front?
8-Any issues with First United Realty or the trust company that I should be aware of?
9-What do you know now that you wish you knew before you purchased?

I am trying to get as much information as possible before making an investment. I have done my homework but I want to know things from people living there. I would have knocked on a door but when we went up there were no structures we saw except for a shed on parcel 35.
Hello Cyndan,

Was wondering if you ever purchased this property. I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing some land myself and was hoping you could share your experience. I currently have a small property in Wisconsin and looking for someplace warmer but not too hot to pass the winter.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

hatethewinter!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM

Hi Breatheasy,

I'm currently looking at buying land in the Sierra Highlands or Sierra Mountains area. I was wondering how your experience there has been. Did you purchase the land through First United? Was that an easy process? This would be a place for me to spend my winters away from bone chilling Wisconsin. Do most people live there full time or is it mostly recreational? I have a small 5 wooded acres up North in Wisconsin that I use for recreation on weekends and summers, with a cabin and camper on the property. It's empty all winter long and thankfully all is very safe. Have you had the same experiences there? What do you do for power, water or heating in the winter?

Thanks for your help!

hatethewinter

Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 PM

hatethewinter....are sure you want to "winter" in the White Mountains of AZ ? Most people summer there, and winter where it is warmer. Have you looked at the temperatures and snowfall for Show Low, AZ (closest town) ? I'm sure the weather is not as harsh as Wisconsin, but it's not balmy by any means.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM

Gemstone1... sat down with my financial advisor on Friday and he did not recommend a retirement in Arizona. The costs alone for building and set-up in such a remote environment would be too much. The winters in Wisconsin can be unbearable. Christmas week alone we saw wind chills drop to -39 degrees. I still have a few years left to retire but I like to plan ahead. I'm looking into the Carolinas now!

There's warmer weather somewhere calling my name!!

Old 03-18-2018, 04:26 PM

FYI....NC, is not known for being a retirement destination either....SC is better.

Check out Best/Worst retirement states.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,650 times
I bought over at Sierra Ranches and a piece over in Concho, looking forward to camping
And exploring all the lands around...United Realty was fine met the agent he showed me the land and
Purchase options it was all good looking forward to some future adventures.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,579,971 times
My wife and I looked at some of their properties in NW Arizona. We were put off by the fact that a 37-acre property has an HOA. Might be fine for some people, but I really don't want to have an HOA telling me what I can and cannot do on that large of a property. I realize that there are some who want to make sure the property is surgically clean and the HOA can protect them, so for those people it's not a problem.

FYI there are very few full-time residents on these properties, mostly people have a small cabin or drive in an rv and use them as vacation spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona