Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,331,970 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to start this thread to troll but I am asking a legitimate question. Full disclosure, I am a Hispanic (Mexican American) voter in Arizona. With recent polls showing Hillary Clinton ahead in Arizona polls, if Trump should win, is that an indictment on Hispanic voters in this state? After all, Trump is arguably the most anti-Hispanic Republican candidate that has emergeged in the general election in recent memory. Registered Hispanic voters comprise approximately 20-30% of the population in Arizona. By the numbers, I cannot fathom how Trump could win this state if Hispanic turnout is strong. So should Trump win, can we reasonably blame poor Hispanic turnout? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-09-2016 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 05:17 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I I didn't mean to start this thread to troll but am asking a legitimate question. Full disclosure, I am a Hispanic (Mexican American) voter in Arizona. With recent polls showing Hillary Clinton ahead in Arizona polls, if Trump should win, is that an indictment on Hispanic voters in this state? After all, Trump is arguably the most anti-Hispanic Republican candidate that has emergeged in the general election in recent memory. Registered Hispanic voters comprise approximately 20-30% of the population in Arizona. By the numbers, I cannot fathom how Trump could win this state if Hispanic turnout is strong. So should Trump win, can we reasonably blame poor Hispanic turnout? What are your thoughts?
Are you sure? It REALLY sounds like a troll thread, It does not in any way sound legitimate, and even though its partly about Arizona, its in the wrong section the way you ask it.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,933,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
After all, Trump is arguably the most anti-Hispanic Republican candidate that has emergeged in the general election in recent memory
Couldn't disagree with you more; Trump is the most anti ILLEGAL ALIEN
Candidate in recent memory, NOT anti Hispanic..

And yes, this is a troll thread..

Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,976,226 times
Are you an American or a Mexican? Choose.

And it doesn't matter who AZ votes for. Our votes don't count in the Pres election.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:37 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,480,881 times
If trump wins AZ? He definitely will win AZ.
I'm not all too fond of trump but as other voters said he isn't anti-Hispanic, he is anti-illegal immigrants (who come from all over the world).

Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Are you an American or a Mexican? Choose.

And it doesn't matter who AZ votes for. Our votes don't count in the Pres election.
They matter now that our state is in play for the first time in 20 years. They matter a lot now.

As to OP, it can always be blamed. I helped manage a certain unsuccessful candidate for Governor a few years ago, getting this specific demographic to even care was a chore, much less simply mailing a ballot.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,349,782 times
I live in Arizona and given some of the provable voter suppression tactics that have gone on in Maricopa County recently, I'd say a fair number of American citizens who are of Latino or Hispanic heritage who want to vote have been/will be prevented from doing so. Perhaps even some voters who are of other nationalities.

We know what kind of chaos ensued in Phoenix in the March presidential primary. AZ Secretary of State Michele Reagan answered "yes," when asked in a hearing at the state capital if she knew for certain voter registrations had been changed prior to the primary election. She then added, "This was something that I know happens, and I know it happened to people in this room. It’s not hearsay. It happened to someone in my own office. One of my employees was registered as a particular party, went to go vote, and I don’t want to divulge his personal details, but it happened to him." Despite her testimony, a judge ruled there was not enough "proof" of voter fraud to warrant a court case.

There is also no excuse for polling places in Maricopa County to have been reduced from 200 in 2012 to only 60 in 2016, especially when the number of registered voters increased from 300,000 in 2012 to 800,000 in 2016. At some polling places hundreds of voters were still in line when the Associated Press announced the winners. County Recorder Helen Purcell took responsibility for the decision to close so many polling places, but then basically threw her assistant under the bus for how the decision was made.

Asked by FOX News who was responsible for the chaos the day after, Purcell replied, "Well, the voters for getting in line, maybe us for not having enough voting places." Maybe? In fact, 86% of primary voters mailed in their ballots yet the county was still unable to service voters on election day. Maricopa County had less than half the number of polling places Pima County had, yet has more than three times the population.

If Purcell wanted to make this look like an accident, then the polling places should not have been closed so obviously in minority neighborhoods, especially Latino areas. Central Phoenix had only one polling place for the mostly Democratic-registered 108,000 voters. Then, to add insult to injury, the polling places "ran out" of Democratic ballots, forcing voters to use provisional ballots, which are NOT COUNTED unless the outcome of the election is challenged.

In the 2008 election, we had a suspicion of voting machine tampering in Pima County, but since Obama won anyway, the investigation never gained much steam.

In the days leading up to the 2012 presidential election there were charges with some merit that voter registration applications that were gathered by Latino youth groups were either destroyed before they ever reached Recorder Purcell's office or were simply not acted on after they got there. Again, no money was assigned for a credible investigation since Obama won anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizon..._primary,_2016

Voters given wrong ballots in Arizona primary, poll worker says | PBS NewsHour

Old 08-09-2016, 08:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,349,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Are you an American or a Mexican? Choose ...
Do you say that to Irish people who march in St. Patrick's Day parades?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,511,703 times
The better question is,

If Trump wins the election can voter stupidity be blamed?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 PM

65 posts, read 122,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The better question is,

If Trump wins the election can voter stupidity be blamed?
This could be asked if Hillary wins, as well. Just sayin'..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona