U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,452 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I want to buy a couple acres of land down south to stay on in my camper van in the winter. I have found a lot of cheap land in cochise county for sale. I am curious about the laws about the land... is it legal to camp on your own land? What are the building restrictions? I'd like to eventually build a little house. But it wouldn't have septic or electricity or anything like that. I have tried emailing the courthouse about it, no response. I am just wondering if anyone who lives there, happens to know off hand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 04:40 AM

3,594 posts, read 4,416,467 times
It is doubtful that any county, anywhere in the country will let you do this....imagine what the country would look (or smell like) like with thousands of well meaning folks doing what you propose....but call the office for accurate information.

COCHISE COUNTY COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT

"The Planning, Zoning and Building Safety Division is pleased to announce that effective immediately, our One Stop Shop for your permitting needs can be utilized every day of the week. You no longer have to wait for Wednesday mornings. To find out if staff will be able to issue your permit over the counter, please contact our office at 520.432.9300 or via email at: planningandzoning@cochise.az.gov before you drive to our Bisbee office. We accept faxed, emailed, and mailed permits on a daily basis. All permits are reviewed and issued as soon as possible, to better serve your building needs. We are also able to accept credit card payments. Please note that some plans may not be legible via fax so give us a call prior to faxing plans."

"605.01 Recreational Vehicles (RV's) are allowed as follows:
A. No permit is required for storage of no more than two RV's on a parcel.
B. Temporary occupancy of one RV in conjunction with a permitted principal use up to six
months in a calendar year with a required Temporary Use Permit; stays of 15-consecutive
days or less do not require a permit.
C. Temporary occupancy of RV's in conjunction with the construction of a residential or nonresidential
permitted principal use. Such occupancy shall be limited to the length of the
building permit with a required Temporary Use Permit, subject to procedures in Article 17."

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 08-30-2016 at 04:52 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info. It would not smell bad... There are other ways of dealing with waste than septic systems. And as for looking bad well I suppose that depends on who I hire to help build. Lol. And I would be out in the country, In the middle of no where.. I would never try this in a city. Too many nosy neighbors.
And have you even been to a really poor part of town? Been inside some of those houses? Smells and looks much worse than what I am wanting to do.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM

I understand that you may be different than some of folks who want to get off the grid, and I'm not saying that off grid is bad. However, the planning folks in the county office have the responsibility to enforce regulations that fit the general population, while also looking into the future to safeguard our lands for the next generation...they are the folks you will need to convince with a good written plan.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 08-31-2016, 05:55 PM

Regulations like that make sense in the city, but not in rural areas where there aren't any neighbors. Which is what I'm going for.
I suppose I will just have to call and ask. Though, it seems camping is fine, it is the building I might run into problems with. Though I suppose if I call it a shed, who's gonna care if I sleep in it occasionally? Lol.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:55 AM

"I suppose I will just have to call and ask"....come back and post what you find out after talking with the county planning folks.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-01-2016, 10:51 AM

375 posts, read 514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja73 View Post
Regulations like that make sense in the city, but not in rural areas where there aren't any neighbors. Which is what I'm going for.
.....................Though I suppose if I call it a shed, who's gonna care if I sleep in it occasionally? Lol.
I totally agree with your opinion that it makes sense in a city where the homes are mostly "cookie cutter" and packed in like rats but a rural area should have only rules that really affect "health and safety".

Most counties, at the behest of the local real estate sales and building industry lobbies want to prevent you from enjoying your property and living your dream. If you are totally self-contained, whats' the harm?

If you buy in an area that looks like crap when you move there, it your problem! If you buy in a nice well groomed area and it degrades, I can see your point.

When you go for your morning walk be sure to carry your camera, a tape measure, a lanyard with approved paint color swatches and a guide of approved landscaping practices.

Here in Yavapai county they even have a page on their website where you can anonymously report your neighbors if you think they are building some structure that you think looks ugly.

You might consider buying two adjacent lots and re-position your trailer between them every 14 days. LOL

My requirements are simple.
"I don't want to hear my neighbors, see them, or smell them".
I live in just such an area by choice.
What happens here, stays here.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 PM

673 posts, read 357,667 times
Coop01 ...........I love your attitude.

Other than living in SoCal, I spend time at "ghetto ranch" south of Wickenburg. Which, has annexed most of Whispering Ranch where "ghetto ranch resides" And by way, thank you for the feeding our aquifer. Ghetto Ranch has more water than gawd.

yes we practice three S's as well

Old 11-25-2016, 03:17 AM

A good example of why there is a need for building codes: off grid living in Colorado....with no building codes/county regulations we could all have neighbors like this...one mans vision of paradise.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-25-2016, 04:33 AM

17,825 posts, read 24,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
A good example of why there is a need for building codes: off grid living in Colorado....with no building codes/county regulations we could all have neighbors like this...one mans vision of paradise.

Regards
Gemstone1
He's not hurting anyone. So what if he wants to live that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona