Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 PM

19 posts, read 75,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
It doesn't bother me, as I'm not into night life and neither is my SO. We are big cyclists, and I like to hike as well.
You should like SV.
Weather is great - you can ride your bike nearly year round and se AZ is full of places to hike.

The only problem I can think of is the number of illegals - SV is directly north of the Naco Corridor. However, as one poster pointed out, they are passing thru. ...But they pass thru in DROVES!!

Just be careful where you hike and don't hike alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the information! I know I would love the climate. Where I am now, the high today is going to be about 25. UGH. I like my job here and hate looking for a new one, but I'm hoping to get an idea of the job market down there in my field before making a change.
As for 'not much to do," there's not a lot to do where I live now, without a 30-45 minute drive to the nearest big city. It doesn't bother me, as I'm not into night life and neither is my SO. We are big cyclists, and I like to hike as well.

Thanks again--

Denise
You will be in close to bicyclist heaven. You can pick your ride for flat and long distances to challenging hill climbs. Lots of places within a reasonable ride.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,834 times
Thumbs up Sierra Vista

In my opinion, Sierra Vista is AZ’s best kept secret. It is a military/retirement town. The winters are mild, the summers are hot, but the higher elevation equates to at least 5 degrees cooler than Tucson’s highs. The mountain views are beautiful. Housing prices have dropped significantly since a year ago.

The job market depends on your field of expertise. Ft. Huachuca is one of the major employers in the area. With defense contracts, things can get iffy. We do have shopping for the necessities (mall, groceries), but major shopping is usually done in Tucson (hour or so drive). Another nice thing is we do not have a “rush hour” as you do in the big cities.

There is not much nightlife (clubbing) to speak of. That’s not to say there are not any places to go and unwind on a Friday night. Various professional shows (Nutcracker, Swan Lake) are booked at the Performing Arts Center. There is not much for teenagers to do in town though. However, Cochise College offers programs that are beneficial to the kids and parents. Just have to take advantage of it.

If you ride bicycles, there is a bike path around the city. If you ride motorcycles, there are always events sponsored by different MC clubs and the weather allows for riding year round to nearby Tombstone, Bisbee, Sonoita, etc. Hiking and birding are other outdoor activities that folks in Sierra Vista enjoy.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM

26 posts, read 82,996 times
Default sierra vista

Thanks, lludvig! I am a veterinary assistant and love what I do, so I'm not willing to settle for something else (unless it still involves working with animals).
I'm not into nightclubs--an occasional movie or dinner out is enough for us. We don't have kids, so schools or entertaining children are not an issue.
My SO talked to a couple of vet.hospitals who said they were hiring right now, but unfortunately I can't go right now as I'd have nowhere to bring all our stuff and our four cats! (He is living in a small, short-term rental apartment right now). I have to wait until he buys a house, so hopefully there will still be a job somewhere in a few months.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:04 PM

10 posts, read 40,031 times
Sierra Vista is pricey and salaries/pay is low for "non professional" positions. As a Vet Tech, you might make around $7 or maybe if you're lucky $9/hour IMO. (I could be wrong, I left in 2004, so check around). We had a house built in 1995 and it cost around $250K. We sold it for $389K in 2004. That's appreciation of around 6% per year. Traffic on Fry Blvd can be bad, but then again it's all relative. Schools are generally good, but I know that some referendums for school funding had previously been defeated, not sure currently. As you've seen, retirement, military, and government contracting postions are the main deal there. Development is going on east of town on Hwy 90, also south on Hwy 92. There are remanufactured homes on acreage available all around the area. Two areas I'd avoid are (I forget the name of one of the areas) is Fry Township and the other has a lot of Italian-named streets. If you like nice weather, (it can get windy there, though) you will like Sierra Vista. If you or your husband are good with electronics you might be able to land a job with government contractors. Check out the Sierra Vista Herald/Bisbee Daily Review at http://www.svherald.com for jobs.
Good luck,
Tom
Tulsa, OK

Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM

13 posts, read 65,902 times
Default Possible move to Sierra Vista summer fall 2007

Late middle age couple looking to move to Sierra Vista by Fall 2007. Not really into the wild big city late night lifestyle but we are not dead yet either. Some fun would be nice. Please tell us more about the area.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,917 times
When you say, Sierra Vista gets windy....how often does it get windy and to what mph? Also, how many sunny days would you say per year?

Thanks for info.....

Old 04-19-2007, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,401 times
Quote:
I already searched this forum for comments, but I'm open to more. My significant other is taking a job at Ft. Huachuca and wants me to move with him. We currently live in northern Utah and HATE the winter here. ( I'm a CA native and would like to move back there but can't afford it).
We have looked at several homes from Sierra Vista up to Whetstone, and like the idea of having a a big yard for our cats (we have no kids). I work as a veterinary assistant and would like to stay in that field.
Any opinions about the area are welcome!
You will love this area. The weather is beyond perfect most of the time. It doesn't get really cold nor really hot. The nights in the summer are warm cooled by a nice breeze. No worries about tornados, hurricanes, or earthquakes. I was born and raised here and will never leave. I have property in Whetstone for sale. I have (3) one acre lots at $46,900 each and (1) two acre lot with a double wide mobile home on it for $119,900. Let me know if you are intersted. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
[quote=lludvig;240684]In my opinion, Sierra Vista is AZ’s best kept secret.

Not anymore. Was just listed, along with Kingman, Surprise, and Lake Havasu City, as one of 4 AZ cities among America's Top 100 Places To Live.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:32 PM
OB1

4 posts, read 106,140 times
Default S.V. environmental issues

Isn't the childhood leukemia linked to the power lines rather than the Radon? I don't know that much about it, just what I heard.

We're also considering a retirement move to S.V. So many things to consider.

Could someone tell me specifically what they like and do not like about it? I realize, though, personal preference plays a big part in this. What one likes someone else may dislike.

We're looking for a healthy place to live but with the leukemia issues we wonder about the power lines and other issues that affect health, environmentally. We're tired of the mold and cold in the PNW. Heat is not a problem. We've lived in worse than that.

We want clean fresh air & peace and quiet, but then again we don't want to be bored.

Thanks,
OB1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona