U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 14,715 times

Advertisements

I am taking a live-in nanny position in Sierra Vista, near Tucson, this April.
Have been living near Washington DC since 1991, enduring the horrible hellish hot and HUMID summers! (Born/raised in Wisconsin)

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in the Tucson area -- how many months does the 'summer' last ?
Can you describe what Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter are like ?
And is DRY HEAT is better, more bearable, compared to the humidity here ?

I have had spring & fall ALLERGIES while living in northern Virginia, and severe sinus infections about twice a year. Wondering if they might be worse or better when I'm living in AZ ?

Been researching and reading things about "heat index", "relative humidity", "dewpoint", etc. -- and also reading all I can find on Tucson Arizona (in general). But thought it might be good to hear from someone who actually LIVES in the area (or has lived there in the past) and can tell me stuff about it, firsthand.

Thanks for your time in reading/answering, I really appreciate it.

God bless!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,048,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgraham777 View Post
I am taking a live-in nanny position in Sierra Vista, near Tucson, this April.
Have been living near Washington DC since 1991, enduring the horrible hellish hot and HUMID summers! (Born/raised in Wisconsin)

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in the Tucson area -- how many months does the 'summer' last ?
Can you describe what Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter are like ?
And is DRY HEAT is better, more bearable, compared to the humidity here ? I have had spring & fall ALLERGIES while living in northern Virginia, and severe sinus infections about twice a year. Wondering if they might be worse or better when I'm living in AZ ?
Been researching and reading things about "heat index", "relative humidity", "dewpoint", etc. -- and also reading all I can find on Tucson Arizona (in general). But thought it might be good to hear from someone who actually LIVES in the area (or has lived there in the past) and can tell me stuff about it, firsthand.

Thanks for your time in reading/answering, I really appreciate it.

God bless!

First of all, take everthing you know about climate and temp from out east and toss it out the window.

In Arizona, it's all about the elevation. Sierra Vista is in the 4000 ft. range, and it has a great all around climate for the desert. While other areas of AZ are in the 120's, SV hangs around in the 90's and low hundreds. It is a dry heat, although it can get humid in the monsoon season. However, when it does get humid (you may not even notice it coming from DC), there are generally clouds in the air and it cools down temp wise.

Also, SV may be near Tucson, but it isn't Tucson is a hole. SV is fairly nice, a military and retirement town.

Also things to do in the area. Bisbee is one of my favorite haunts, as well as Tombstone nearby. Bisbee is even higher in elevation, and even in the worst of summer months, is generally in the low 90's, tops. Very temperate.

I'm not sure about the allergies, although I can tell you that coming from Yuma with it's agriculture, SV was a relief. There are native plants there, but no agriculture.

As for heat index, it won't be as much in effect there in SV as in other places because it never really gets stupid hot like in Yuma. Yuma can get in the 130's and can even get some humidity in there that raises the heat index.

All in all, I think you'll enjoy the climate. There aren't any real seasons other than warm and warmer. Or, in Yuma, we called it warm and "**********! I'm going to San Diego".

Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,764,775 times
I'm from Maryland and have had allergy/sinus issues since high school. My allergies are better out here, but the sinus stuff remains. I think it's because it is dry. Don't expect miracles, but it might improve a little bit. Ivest in some saline nasal spray.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,537,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
First of all, take everthing you know about climate and temp from out east and toss it out the window.

In Arizona, it's all about the elevation. Sierra Vista is in the 4000 ft. range, and it has a great all around climate for the desert. While other areas of AZ are in the 120's, SV hangs around in the 90's and low hundreds. It is a dry heat, although it can get humid in the monsoon season. However, when it does get humid (you may not even notice it coming from DC), there are generally clouds in the air and it cools down temp wise.

Also, SV may be near Tucson, but it isn't Tucson is a hole. SV is fairly nice, a military and retirement town.

Also things to do in the area. Bisbee is one of my favorite haunts, as well as Tombstone nearby. Bisbee is even higher in elevation, and even in the worst of summer months, is generally in the low 90's, tops. Very temperate.

I'm not sure about the allergies, although I can tell you that coming from Yuma with it's agriculture, SV was a relief. There are native plants there, but no agriculture.

As for heat index, it won't be as much in effect there in SV as in other places because it never really gets stupid hot like in Yuma. Yuma can get in the 130's and can even get some humidity in there that raises the heat index.

All in all, I think you'll enjoy the climate. There aren't any real seasons other than warm and warmer. Or, in Yuma, we called it warm and "**********! I'm going to San Diego".
I apologize for the glaring falsehoods in the post above.

The weather in Sierra Vista is quite cooler than the weather in Tucson. The normal high in Sierra Vista in January is around 58, while the average high in July is near 90. Temperature rarely make it to 100 degrees in Sierra Vista, often hovering in the low 90s during the hottest part of the summer. It does get somewhat humid (nothing like DC) in the early part of July through late August/early September during the monsoon season. Along with increased humidity, there are very often showers and thunderstorms during the hottest part of the day. So in exchange for increased humidity, you will get cooler temperatures. Some days during the monsoon might not break 80 degrees in SV if there is enough cloud cover throughout the day. Winters are nice, with low temperatures dipping below freezing quite frequently, but rarely below 20 degrees.

It does not reach the 130's in any part of Arizona. It has never even hit 125 in Yuma, which is often considered one of the hottest (temperature-wise) parts of Arizona. Tucson, where many amenities that are absent in SV can be found, often gets above 100 degrees, but rarely makes it to 110.

I think you will enjoy SV's climate, but do be prepared that it does get quite chilly there in the winter, and somewhat humid in the latter part of the summer.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,517,996 times
In my opinion SE Arizona (where Sierra Vista is) has the best weather in the continental US outside of the moderate coastal areas of Southern California. Did lots of research when trying to decide where to buy retirement property and climate was my single most important consideration - and when all was said and done I bought land in SE Arizona (not specifically Sierra Vista, rather near relatively close-by Benson (the land itself is at 4,200 feet and has a climate nearly identical to Sierra Vista).

I suspect you will find the climate to be nearly ideal.

Ken

Old 02-23-2008, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 14,715 times
Thumbs up THANKS everyone, for all the helpful info! :-)

Just want to say thank you to every one of you for your very helpful posts!
I really appreciate it, and I'm feeling much better about moving to AZ. My greatest concern was how I'd deal with temps over 100 degrees, but it sounds like the elevation of this location is really helpful. The 90's without the
D.C. jungle-humidity, will be almost heaven!

Some pics I saw of the mountains near Tucson (when I did a google search) looked really gorgeous too, much bigger than the little foothills of the Blue Ridge here.

This was the FIRST time I've ever done a posting to ask a question, and I didn't know what to expect, as far as responses -- am blown away by the KINDNESS of strangers taking their time & energy to write and help me.

Anyway, I thank "y'all" again, GOD BLESS!

Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 PM

21,146 posts, read 39,388,544 times
I am a Wash DC native born and raised within a 20 mile radius of the Capitol building.

Trust me: even so-called 'hellish' Phoenix is more pleasant than DC in the summer.

As for Sierra Vista: what summers?

90F @ 20% humidity feels like 86F--------->Sierra Vista typical summer day

90F @ 80% humidity feels like 113F-------->Wash DC summer day

And; remember that Sierra Vista winters are about 15F warmer than DC's as well

Heat Index Calculator (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/heatindex.html - broken link)

Sierra Vista weather

Need i say more?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
hts

752 posts, read 1,957,969 times
I currently live in DC (Sterling VA) and own property (and lived) in N. Phoenix (Anthem). I'm also originally from the midwest (Nebraska) and spent 6 months in Sierra Vista at Ft Huachuca. While the weather is very desirable, I found SV to be more boring than either Lincoln or Omaha, and that's saying a LOT.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM

21,146 posts, read 39,388,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I apologize for the glaring falsehoods in the post above.

The weather in Sierra Vista is quite cooler than the weather in Tucson. The normal high in Sierra Vista in January is around 58, while the average high in July is near 90. Temperature rarely make it to 100 degrees in Sierra Vista, often hovering in the low 90s during the hottest part of the summer. It does get somewhat humid (nothing like DC) in the early part of July through late August/early September during the monsoon season. Along with increased humidity, there are very often showers and thunderstorms during the hottest part of the day. So in exchange for increased humidity, you will get cooler temperatures. Some days during the monsoon might not break 80 degrees in SV if there is enough cloud cover throughout the day. Winters are nice, with low temperatures dipping below freezing quite frequently, but rarely below 20 degrees.

It does not reach the 130's in any part of Arizona. It has never even hit 125 in Yuma, which is often considered one of the hottest (temperature-wise) parts of Arizona. Tucson, where many amenities that are absent in SV can be found, often gets above 100 degrees, but rarely makes it to 110.

I think you will enjoy SV's climate, but do be prepared that it does get quite chilly there in the winter, and somewhat humid in the latter part of the summer.
The PO stated that he/she is from Wisconsin; and DC winters are not nearly as bad as those in the Cheesehead state.

As for official highs; I have seen it hit 124F in Bullhead City (125F in Needles across the river in Calif).

Old 02-23-2008, 03:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,517,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgraham777 View Post
Just want to say thank you to every one of you for your very helpful posts!
I really appreciate it, and I'm feeling much better about moving to AZ. My greatest concern was how I'd deal with temps over 100 degrees, but it sounds like the elevation of this location is really helpful. The 90's without the
D.C. jungle-humidity, will be almost heaven!

Some pics I saw of the mountains near Tucson (when I did a google search) looked really gorgeous too, much bigger than the little foothills of the Blue Ridge here.

This was the FIRST time I've ever done a posting to ask a question, and I didn't know what to expect, as far as responses -- am blown away by the KINDNESS of strangers taking their time & energy to write and help me.

Anyway, I thank "y'all" again, GOD BLESS!
You're quite welcome.

Enjoy your stay in Sierra Vista.

Ken

PS - Just thought I'd add that in addition to the delightful weather, the area is indeed quite scenic - especially south of town where the views off to the east down into the San Pedro River Valley and south into Mexico are are truly breathtaking. In my opinion SE Arizona is really a largely overlooked gem, both weatherwise and scenerywise. The views often go on FOREVER. Keep in mind too that Sierra Vista is sometimes referred to as the Hummingbird Capital of the US since so many of those birds (among others) overwinter there.

In any event, as long as you're not expecting much in the way of nightlife etc (Sierra Vista is a modest-sized town) you should enjoy your time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona