U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 10:07 AM

113 posts, read 253,039 times

Advertisements

I currently own a 2010 Kia Soul which I bought new in NY State for $15,500 not including sales tax. I registered it in NY State the same day I bought it. If I move to Arizona, I know I have to pay a VLT based on the information someone sent me (below):

Arizona imposes an annual vehicle license tax. The tax is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer’s base retail price, reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona. The rate is $2.80 for new vehicles and $2.89 for used vehicles, for each $100 of assessed value. So for a vehicle costing $18,000, the vehicle license tax for the first year would be $302.

I read posts in the Arizona forum that the reduced rate of 16.25% is for each year since the vehicle was first registered in any state (not just Arizona). Yet, I couldn't find anything official about this on the Arizona DMV web site. Does anyone know where I can find out for sure if I can reduce the rate by 16.25% for each year it's been registered in NY if I move to Arizona?

Also, since I bought it new, would I pay the $2.80 or $2.89 for used vehicles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 06:05 PM

41,372 posts, read 52,655,939 times
When you move to AZ and you re-register your vehicle you turn in your plates, you pay for and get new AZ plates based on current value of your vehicle. If your previous state has a proration license plate program then you apply to that state for the balance of the remaining fee and they send you a check.
You can always call the AZDOT and get the fee information for your vehicle.
What happens in NY stays in New York, has nothing to do with reduced value % they charge for valuation in AZ.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:47 PM

9,093 posts, read 17,374,387 times
The depreciated value is from the year the vehicle is new.

What you paid is not important. What the mfg base retail price is. This smooths out new/renewal issues or if you got a good/bad deal.

60% is taken off that amount. Year one the cost is based on that 60% about.

Year 2 whatever value 60% have you is reduced by 16.25% . This new value is used for the calculation.

Year 3 there is 16.25% reduction of the year 2 value.

Sounds like you'd be in year 5, so it would be 60% of the mfg retail value with 4 reduction steps.

I'm not sure which rate they would use.

You may also need or be due for emissions depending on how the actual cutoff works, move date, etc. If you live in the Phoenix or Tucson metro you typically need testing unless there vehicle is newer than 6 years old or you hit another exemption

Registration is pricey here, but you can claim the tax on your state taxes and we don't have the annual inspection game like NY

Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Thanks for responding. Does the Arizona MVD use a source that tells them the MSRP of a make, model and year of a car when it was new (like the Kelly Blue Book)?

Old 09-23-2016, 04:36 PM

9,093 posts, read 17,374,387 times
Yeah, they do have a reference but I'm not sure what it is.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:38 AM

Okay. Thanks. I am now more aware of how they do it in Arizona.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:13 PM

684 posts, read 657,706 times
For the longest time I could not figure out where AZ got the price that they use. The figure listed on the registrations for my car and my girlfriend's car did not match what either of our cars cost as listed on the sticker or various websites.

But I looked again just now, and for my car it was the MSRP of the base model with no options. I actually have a trim level one level up from the base and have two major option packages plus a few other minor things, so I actually come out on top here by over $5k compared to the value they use.

For my girlfriend's car, the value listed is $100 cheaper than the base model with no options, so not sure what's going on there. She has the base trim level, but with a big option package and few other minor things, so she comes out ahead here too by $3k.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but if it's consistent, it's good to know when shopping both in terms of what the VLT will based on and in knowing that in some cases you can get higher trim levels and options and still pay the same price as the base with nothing.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:11 PM

I'll keep that in mind if and when the time comes. It'll be interesting to see if Arizona new car dealers mention this when option packages are offered.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:50 PM

1,621 posts, read 1,061,665 times
They use various sources but it's an interesting question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: