Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Prop 205 to Legalize Recreational Marijuana in Arizona
I vote YES. 84 66.14%
I vote NO. 37 29.13%
Undecided / No Opinion 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 03:11 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,081,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's a bad proposition and not a true legalization effort but better than putting people in jail for a plant. This should be viewed as a rest stop on the way to the final destination and not the final destination itself.
medical marijuana was first, and everyone knew that wasn't the end of it then.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:44 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,100,081 times
I just returned to Arizona today and will not be able to make it 'official' until Monday; so I can get registered to vote in time.

I am not a 'pothead' but I agree that it is time. I did find it disheartening to see a couple of signs up here on the mountain against prop 205. They say, "Keep Arizona Drug Free". Such ignorance.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:57 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,427,847 times
For it, and I don't smoke. Makes ZERO sense to keep it illegal with alcohol and cigarettes being legal and actively killing WAY more people than weed ever has. Create tax revenue, decriminalize people who aren't really hurting anybody. Between increased revenue and not wasting as much money in the courts and legal system it's a huge win for everyone.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:41 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,675,688 times
Will vote yes.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:09 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,733,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's a bad proposition and not a true legalization effort but better than putting people in jail for a plant. This should be viewed as a rest stop on the way to the final destination and not the final destination itself.
This comment is being overlooked IMHO. According to the mailer I just received, Prop 205 is about 15 pages long, whenever pols (or lobbyists) go that in depth, I know they are burying something. I haven't read it all, I will, and I am for legalization, I just have a feeling that when I'm done reading I'll discover a crap bill.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 AM

812 posts, read 796,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I just returned to Arizona today...
Welcome back!

Old 10-02-2016, 08:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I did find it disheartening to see a couple of signs up here on the mountain against prop 205. They say, "Keep Arizona Drug Free". Such ignorance.
The TV ads opposing it are disheartening as well. From what I've noticed, there seem to be more TV spots against legalization vs. the pro side. Most of the opposition seems to comes from those who are concerned about children getting access, the addiction problem, as well as how the revenue from the sales are used. Addiction to pot still happens when the substance is illegal, and I don't care one bit about the children. If passed, the legal age to purchase marijuana will be 21 (just like alcohol), so it will still be illegal for children to have it. The "no" side is just using scare tactics as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 PM

26,232 posts, read 49,112,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
.... The "no" side is just using scare tactics as far as I'm concerned.
I'd love to see who's funding all those TV ads for the 'no' side.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:11 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,081,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd love to see who's funding all those TV ads for the 'no' side.
abc news reported the leading donor to the NO side was the wife of the diamondbacks owner, ($100,000) so far.

I would suspect that most large contributors against would be expecting to lose money from alcohol sales.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:09 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
abc news reported the leading donor to the NO side was the wife of the diamondbacks owner, ($100,000) so far.

I would suspect that most large contributors against would be expecting to lose money from alcohol sales.
Many people who have ties to the pharmaceutical industry are against 205. They know that there are many who will stop loading up on pills with recreational MJ legalization. Many people don't realize that it can cost up to $300 to get a medical MJ card in Arizona, which can impede many lower income people who might benefit from MJ from even getting to try it as an option. The legal community is against it too because they know the way to attract private prisons is to promise them a minimum occupancy rate. If the state is no longer able to lock people up for minor offenses such as possession, that'll cut deeply into the state's bottom line. Unfortunately, I think many of the so called freedom loving, get the government out of our lives "conservatives" will vote the proposition down because they want to regulate what others are doing in their spare time. Couple that will concerned parents who think pot is going to handed out like pencils at school, older people who just have their own old fashioned ways on how society is "supposed" to behave, and the people who essentially want completely unrestricted legalization with pot shops as concentrated as Circle Ks and you will likely find that the pro 205 side is outweighed by the anti side. Arizona is not Colorado. The demographics are different in a way that isn't conducive to legalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona