Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Arizona go to a universal all mail ballot voting?
Yes 7 25.93%
Maybe 1 3.70%
No 19 70.37%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:11 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,084,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
That's interesting that other states allow it. I would have thought it would be illegal to deny people the right to vote in person...just seems like you should have a right to show up on election day and have your vote counted if you're registered. Some people don't have fixed addresses and the mail is not 100% perfect so what do you do if you don't get your ballot? Etc.
Well, not in AZ. You must have one to be considered an AZ resident.

Just a WILD GUESS; but I think it hasn't been done because I believe it would help the democratic vote and help turn this state. AZ is politically rigged beyond belief.

(here is what its called,)
Gerrymandering
Quote:
In the process of setting electoral districts, gerrymandering is a practice that attempts to establish a political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating district boundaries to create partisan-advantaged districts. The resulting district apportionment is known as a gerrymander; however, that word can also refer to the process.

(and here it is in action)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizon...onal_districts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
That's interesting that other states allow it. I would have thought it would be illegal to deny people the right to vote in person...just seems like you should have a right to show up on election day and have your vote counted if you're registered. Some people don't have fixed addresses and the mail is not 100% perfect so what do you do if you don't get your ballot? Etc.
Here in Colorado you can also go to a "vote center" and vote in person. If your ballot gets lost or you never got one, you can also go to a vote center. FAQ: The procrastinator's guide to last-minute voting in Colorado | CPR

Voting by Mail - Jefferson County, Colorado

Old 10-19-2016, 08:41 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Here in Colorado you can also go to a "vote center" and vote in person. If your ballot gets lost or you never got one, you can also go to a vote center. FAQ: The procrastinator's guide to last-minute voting in Colorado | CPR

Voting by Mail - Jefferson County, Colorado
Basically, in order to fix some of the issues with mail only voting, Colorado opted to open locations where people can vote in person?

Sounds like the inverse of what happened in the Presidential Preference election where the Recorder tried to limit the in person voting locations. We all know how that worked out.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:07 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,188,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I think making an all mail in makes lots of sense. Cost and time savings across the board. Like it/hate it, it's the trend:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...elections.aspx

As for checking ID's for in-person voting as a safety feature, I believe that common sense requirement is being struck down all over the place across the country. All one has to do is sign something that they are who they are and done, vote away. Brilliant. What could go wrong with that?

As for "hardships" for people voting either in person who say they can't figure out how to get an ID/take the effort to do so or complains about not having access to a mailbox somewhere for a paper ballot.....if one can't figure out such basic things in life it proves to me they aren't in any way capable of making the most of basic life decisions and therefore shouldn't be deciding more "complicated" matters like voting.
Sums up King George's argument against American Independence. Those savages could never elect a good and stable government. How is that for a betrayal of the American Revolution?

Besides, Republican primary voters in record turnout voted for Trump as candidate. That qualifies them to decide "more complicated" matters????? OK.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:25 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,487,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Sums up King George's argument against American Independence. Those savages could never elect a good and stable government. How is that for a betrayal of the American Revolution?

Besides, Republican primary voters in record turnout voted for Trump as candidate. That qualifies them to decide "more complicated" matters????? OK.
I'll go a step further with your statement......the vast majority of the voting herd, regardless if they are "educated" or "savages", with their record of voting the same bought and sold/inept/don't serve the people over and over again, I would 100% agree with your statement......they have proven indeed to me that they can't elect a good government that serves the people. To add insult to injury, a populace who is supposedly disgusted with our government, ultra low ratings over and over again, yet elect the vast majority of them back in or the same type with a different suit.

I see this as insanity....doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

As for your hinting that one side of the bought off/self serving/inept/corrupt coin as being better in your view, team dem......I'll be nice and end it there.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:42 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,171,569 times
Mail in didn't work so well in the Primaries when most of the candidates had already pulled out of the race by the time our selection was held. Ah well...

Old 10-22-2016, 11:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,894,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted
Guess I'm old fashioned but I prefer to vote in person. I'm paranoid that a mailed ballot would be lost in the mail, or lost in the shuffle at the department.
Yup it WOULD NOT BE GOOD!!!!!!

Easiest way to say THEY DIDNT GET IT,etc..... Just cause they dont like the canidate,etc........

Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 PM

6,881 posts, read 9,414,143 times
I live in Colorado and I like mail-in voting for the reasons mentioned; I like sitting at my dining room table, thinking about the issues, looking at the voter booklet, etc., and then I usually drop off the ballot at a designated site. HOWEVER, I think in general, we're really sloppy when it comes to managing the voter rolls and keeping them up to date, and I'm somewhat suspicious of people voting for other people. For instance, if someone moves out of state, or if someone dies, the ballots are usually sent anyway. I would hope that people who receive them would discard them, but who knows? I'm sure it's not widespread enough to have a real effect, but I still consider it to be sloppy.

I've moved between a few states and I know that I'm still on the books in Los Angeles County and only last year received a notice from my the county I lived in in Pennsylvania to let me know that my name was being purged .... after moving away more than 10 years ago. In this day and age, with the technology we have available to us, why can't we get this right?

Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,300,574 times
It should be a choice to either vote by mail or vote in person, not mandated one way or the other. I personally prefer the mail option ... however, I would prefer electronic voting, even if there could be some way of doing it on line in a secure method. I don't understand why in this day & age there aren't more ways of casting a ballot via an electronic process instead of standing in line to cast paper ballots, or mailing it in. Paper ballots can be miscounted, and can get lost in the mail. It's about time the voting process moves into the 21st Century!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:25 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,655,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It should be a choice to either vote by mail or vote in person, not mandated one way or the other. I personally prefer the mail option ... however, I would prefer electronic voting, even if there could be some way of doing it on line in a secure method. I don't understand why in this day & age there aren't more ways of casting a ballot via an electronic process instead of standing in line to cast paper ballots, or mailing it in. Paper ballots can be miscounted, and can get lost in the mail. It's about time the voting process moves into the 21st Century!
What if the power goes out and you're stuck in line waiting to vote through an electronic screen? That's when paper ballots come into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona