Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times

Advertisements

Everyone's responses illustrates the OP's point. It seems that most AZ people are kind, friendly, and have a nice sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 03:22 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Everyone's responses illustrates the OP's point. It seems that most AZ people are kind, friendly, and have a nice sense of humor.
They do.

However, I've found (especially after living in Arizona for most of the last 15 years) that people in the Midwest tend to be even friendlier and more polite than Arizonans.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:53 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
They do.

However, I've found (especially after living in Arizona for most of the last 15 years) that people in the Midwest tend to be even friendlier and more polite than Arizonans.
That's interesting. I've lived on Long Island all of my life, so the norm for me is the rat race mentality. Apart from the NY area, I've only been to Florida and Arizona. In FL, people tend to be distant and mistrustful of "Yankees", and yes I've been called that. FL is unimpressive. AZ visits have always been wonderful, and Sedona is the closest thing to paradise I've ever seen. It's nice to meet friendly people. It's nice to not have to posture and get into contests with others all the time in order to avoid being taken advantage of in some way.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
You're from California therefor you will be praised in Arizona(phoenix) lol. No but in all seriousness people are so much nicer in AZ than they are in Socal.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:24 PM

700 posts, read 919,537 times
I love kale; but I liked it before it was cool, because my ancestors on both sides are from Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Tennessee since about 15 minutes after they opened up the north American colonies.

However, I lived in California twice -- elementary school and graduated high school in SoCal; and I do love it. It's got incomparable beauty and is the most dynamic and entertaining place on the planet, IMO. Los Angeles is my favorite big city. But you do have to stick up for yourself; Angelinos are consistently in the top five and usually number one on the rudest cities surveys.

The only thing I know about New York is what Lewis Morris, their representative to the Continental Congress, said in the movie, "1776":

Lewis Morris: I'm sorry Mr. President, but the simple fact is that our legislature has never sent us explicit instructions on anything!

John Hancock: NEVER?

[slams fly swatter onto his desk]

John Hancock: That's impossible!

Lewis Morris: Mr. President, have you ever been present at a meeting of the New York legislature?

[Hancock shakes his head "No"]

Lewis Morris: They speak very fast and very loud, and nobody listens to anybody else, with the result that nothing ever gets done.

[turns to the Congress as he returns to his seat]

Lewis Morris: I beg the Congress's pardon.

John Hancock: [grimly] My sympathies, Mr. Morris.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:14 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I mean, really, c'mon people. Here we are visiting your state in a vehicle that has California plates, and everyone has been unfailingly kind, friendly and helpful.

I'm not sure I can cope. I'm used to being snubbed back home, to being ignored when I say hello, cut off on the freeway or having people pass me, honking, on surface streets because I failed to realize they were really really really in a hurry and as a lesser being I should immediately pull over to the side.

You people are just too darned nice.

There must be a curmudgeon somewhere in PHX, but not at Fry's Electronics, where we were smilingly and eagerly helped by a returns associate and then asked if there was anything else they could help us with. Dear Fry's store manager, do NOT send your associates to the Bay Area stores, where they are bound to pick up bad habits such as considering all customers nascent thieves and ruffians.

I don't want to go home.
Boy do I agree with you fluffy. I live in so cal and for multiple reasons looking to relocate to probably Tucson. Every time I go there to scout around I'm continually shocked at how nice everyone is! Your fwys are heaven! So smooth open and clean and graffiti free. There's no smog and I feel very at home in the desert. Can't wait to leave hellhole Ca and relocate.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:28 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
However, I lived in California twice -- elementary school and graduated high school in SoCal; and I do love it. It's got incomparable beauty and is the most dynamic and entertaining place on the planet, IMO. Los Angeles is my favorite big city. But you do have to stick up for yourself; Angelinos are consistently in the top five and usually number one on the rudest cities surveys.
The culture is different in Northern California, i.e. the San Francisco Bay Area, from which I hail (for now).

No political slogan is too radical, no number of bumper stickers too extreme. You can get beaten up here for espousing the "wrong" candidate or advocating personal responsibility. When we talk politics at dinner with friends, we keep our voices low.

I give up California as a lost cause.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 PM

551 posts, read 693,618 times
Hard to be nasty when the weather is just so damned nice most of the year

Old 12-30-2016, 12:45 AM

430 posts, read 290,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I'm not sure I can cope. I'm used to being snubbed back home, to being ignored when I say hello, cut off on the freeway or having people pass me, honking, on surface streets because I failed to realize they were really really really in a hurry and as a lesser being I should immediately pull over to the side.

Posts like this, is why I'm glad I live here in TX and not crazy California.

At the Airport, whenever there is an LAX, or SFO flight. I just literally *Sigh* to myself.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
That's one thing I do have to give Arizona, most people outside of Tucson are really cool. I don't miss it because folks are pretty decent where I live now, but growing up in Minnesota it took time to adjust to Arizona where people actually talk to each other. "Minnesota Nice" is dark humor lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona