Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,237,850 times

Advertisements

I live in AZ and have recently become enamored with Palm Desert to the point of considering a move there. I am in the process of making a pros and cons list. I am currently in the Verde Valley and sometimes wish there was more to do. Also, it seems it's often too hot or too cold here while in Palm Desert it is generally nice for about 6 months.

I do know that it is VERY hot there in the summer, and that gas and car insurance will be more. I own a business that is not location specific so that will go with me.

What are some of the pros and cons that you can think of (and I might be unaware of).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:55 PM

448 posts, read 323,409 times
You would be leaving one of the most friendly tax states in AZ to one of the worst in CA. Gas is much cheaper in AZ than anywhere in CA. The weather in Palm Desert is similar to the Phoenix area and Palm Springs/Palm Desert has a lot of retirees, maybe more than in the general Phoenix area. Palm Desert is still 2 to 2 1/2 hours to Los Angeles and Orange County (probably more due to traffic).
The political environment is very liberal in CA so you need to keep that in mind. The Democrats win all state level elections and have a super majority in the state senate and assembly so can pass anything they want.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:16 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,098,706 times
I finally escaped the CSSR in 1996 after 36 years of living there. There is no thing, no place, and no way I would ever move back. In fact I do my best not to even cross over that line.

The last place I lived there was in the Inland Empire of Riverside county. I also lived in San Gabriel, Leucadia, Long Beach, and Bellflower. Explored all of SoCal so much I (used to) know it like the back of my hand. I have explored a bit of NoCal as well. I used to go to the beach and surf so much that I must have gotten it all out of my system as I don't miss the ocean at all.

Living in AZ there really is more outdoor activities available than there are in the CSSR since over there more and more folks are trying to restrict access, much like what is going on in Sedona.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:28 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Dems are trying to raise the gas tax by 17 cents a gallon, while doing nothing to repair the worst roads in the country (which is what gas taxes are supposed to be for). If you like being taxed excessively, California is the place for you.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 PM

191 posts, read 344,887 times
Pros and cons compared to where? Phoenix?

It would also help if you gave us some idea of what you like to do as far as hobbies and recreation.

My wife and I retired from Socal to The Prescott area two years ago. We lived in the pass area, 40 miles from Palm Desert and spent a lot of time there on weekends.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post
Pros and cons compared to where? Phoenix?

It would also help if you gave us some idea of what you like to do as far as hobbies and recreation.

My wife and I retired from Socal to The Prescott area two years ago. We lived in the pass area, 40 miles from Palm Desert and spent a lot of time there on weekends.
Thanks funflyer99, I am in the Verde Valley so 2 hours north of PHX...although I love the small town I do find that it gets small at times (I'm originally from a big city) however I do love the lack of crowds and traffic (sometimes).

I like to hike, walk, eat out, shop, and be in a vibrant area...Palm Desert was just so beautiful when I was there and there seems to be so much to do (I LOVE the desert too). I work from home so spend a lot of time at my desk.

I find Prescott a bit cold in the winter, I actually moved from Sedona (4500') to 3300' to have warmer winters...I'm pretty much done with snow as I had it most of my life.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:46 PM

191 posts, read 344,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks funflyer99, I am in the Verde Valley so 2 hours north of PHX...although I love the small town I do find that it gets small at times (I'm originally from a big city) however I do love the lack of crowds and traffic (sometimes).

I like to hike, walk, eat out, shop, and be in a vibrant area...Palm Desert was just so beautiful when I was there and there seems to be so much to do (I LOVE the desert too). I work from home so spend a lot of time at my desk.Without

I find Prescott a bit cold in the winter, I actually moved from Sedona (4500') to 3300' to have warmer winters...I'm pretty much done with snow as I had it most of my life.

Palm Desert and Palm Springs both have a lot to offer, however, as others have said, they come with a price and really don't offer any more than you have here in Arizona.

The best thing Arizona has over the Socal area are the small towns which are still close enough to the big city and everything you like to do. There are no more small towns in Socal where you can get away from the crowds, traffic, noise and unfriendly, rude people. Back during the housing boom they all moved out to the IE from LA and Orange county and brought all that with them.

Also, along with the boom came the crime, it's real bad and getting worse every year. Property crimes have gotten so bad that the police don't have the manpower to respond like they used to. Now they take non-violent crime reports over the phone. Do some online research and you'll see. The bottom line is you would probably want to find a home in a gated and guarded community. Those are also costly with monthly HOA dues of up to $900 or more.

Now hopefully you like the wind. The wind in the PD and PS area blows worse than anywhere I've ever been in Arizona, especially in the summer. Oh, and the blowing sand comes with it.

Good luck to you wherever you decide to live.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:24 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,053,206 times
Not mentioned, but CA has this crazy real estate property tax called Mello-Roos (funds bonds used to build sewers, roads, schools, etc.) Mainly applies to newer built homes, but it significantly raises one's property taxes. Just be on the look-out for it in CA.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:01 PM

OK you are convincing me that maybe I should stay in AZ and just visit PD more often.

I wish there were areas with more to do but not the crowds and congestion of the PHX area.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
OK you are convincing me that maybe I should stay in AZ and just visit PD more often.

I wish there were areas with more to do but not the crowds and congestion of the PHX area.
Have you ever considered Tucson? It's in the desert, it rarely snows, it's a little cooler in the summer than Phoenix with more rain, it's surrounded by gorgeous mountains with lots of outdoorsy things to do, there's some cultural and social things to do since it's still a mid-sized city, but it's not nearly as big as Phoenix.

Normally I don't advise people to move to Tucson because the job market isn't as strong as Phoenix's, but clearly you don't have that issue since you work from home.

I love the California low desert, it's very beautiful and there's so much to do and explore, but the same is true of Arizona's deserts -- and I'd argue we have a much nicer array of deserts since we have a lot of desert that gets more rain and is more verdant than the California deserts -- and it's much cheaper to live here in just about every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona