Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,088,411 times

Advertisements

As I said earlier, there is true adobe in AZ, but it's not as common as NM. Here's one builder working out of Prescott but a lot of his jobs are in Wickenburg.
Culhane Contracting LLC Joe Culhane, Projects
My home, while not typically "Santa Fe" style, is a southwestern adobe. The walls are 16 inch thick adobe with an additional inch to inch and a half of stucco on the exterior. From street level the roof appears flat, but there is a parapet wall around the top that disguises the roof pitch. It slopes towards the north and drains very well out of canales that pierce the north parapet. When I built the house 27 years ago I used a torch down butyl rubber roof which lasted well until last year when it began to leak in spots. I had painted it every two-three years with white elastomeric paint. I replaced it with a nice thick foam roof without tearing the old roof off and it's topped with a very thick sprayed-on elastomeric layer that the roofer recommends re-doing in 5-7 years. The new roof extends up the inside and over the top of the parapet wall. The cost was very low and took a day and a half to complete. We immediately noticed better interior temperature moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 05:57 PM

700 posts, read 921,070 times
Here's a topic from the Tucson forum about flat roofs. I included Rosie Romero's column with a link to the original in it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...flat-roof.html

Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,619 times
Just an FYI, if you have a roof that was not explicitly built to be a terrace/patio/etc., don't try to make it one...many flat roofs are not designed to bear much weight at all and you actually have to be really careful walking on them so you don't damage/crack/break the membranes, etc. Or so I've been told, since I've been scared out of walking on them.

Same goes for tile, it cracks easily so be careful if you have to go up on a tile roof. Now shingle roofs, you can climb up there any time you want to take pictures of sunsets and sunrises and generally be that weird neighbor who's up on his roof. What's he doing? Is he looking into my backyard?

Old 02-19-2017, 12:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,376,832 times
The "Santa Fe" style actually don't have a true flat roof. They are angled for run-off, and they'll generally have drains in the sides of the house near the top for the water to get out of. You can't see the angle because the sides are built up to make it appear flat. I've actually seen some with a pretty good pitch, but again the sides are built up so you can't see the pitch, all you see are the drains on the side.

Depending on what part of Arizona you are looking at, it's not all completely dry and there are places that get a lot of rain in a short time span... and depending on where you are in the desert, the sand doesn't absorb the water very quickly and neither does the pavement.

The state is very diverse, and the weather patterns vary with location and elevation. When I lived in Yuma, we actually went a span of about 18 months with zero rain. Yet at the same time, Phoenix was getting dumped on. Another thing to remember, Phoenix is one of the highest elevation large cities in America, and the second highest state capitol (after Denver).

Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 PM

744 posts, read 879,894 times
You are looking for a "Territorial" style home. My friend has one and the only difference from her house and the one across the street is the elevation or outside look. On the inside it's the same house.

I love the look. We bought our house because it has a basement and that is rare in the Phoenix area because of the ground is so hard.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Is there any chance of finding an affordable rammed-earth house in the Valley?

The only ones I've seen have been multiple millions of dollars.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,965,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is there any chance of finding an affordable rammed-earth house in the Valley?

The only ones I've seen have been multiple millions of dollars.
Doubtful. High labor costs. Usually they are built by individuals over time, or by groups of friends, volunteers, or as a class project of some sort. In the time it would take to pack 50 tires I'd have a structure up and dried in, with one third the crew.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:57 PM

186 posts, read 195,841 times
Rammed earth doesn't use tires. You DO need a special soil mix and formwork is equivalent to what you'd need for poured concrete. Very labor intensive and building departments are usually a hard-sell when building an unconventional structure, not to mention getting a bank to finance one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona