Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM

7,333 posts, read 12,412,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I've been to Disneyworld in Orlando in the summer when the heat combined with the high humidity was a hundred times worse than anything I've ever experienced, yet people flocked to it.
As I stated, the average person doesn't pay attention to such fine details. They will see the difference in temperature (90s vs 100s/110s) and will easily choose Orlando over Phoenix based on temperature alone. Plus, humidity doesn't affect how hot the seats will get or feel under extreme heat.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 02-22-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,995,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As I stated, the average person doesn't pay attention to such fine details. They will see the difference in temperature (90s vs 100s/110s) and will easily choose Orlando over Phoenix based on temperature alone. Plus, humidity doesn't affect how hot the seats will get or feel under extreme heat.
Actual evidence suggests otherwise, we had a successful park here when the population was much smaller.

You're assuming the temperature is the basis for the visit.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,356,514 times
SO - as was said earlier - I did post this in the AZ forum as I thought is was more accurate there - though I knew it would get more activity HERE.

Anyway - here is a link to the entire application at the City.

They definitely have the "A" team project people on it for design, engineering, traffic studies and legal representation (Rose Law is by far the pre-eminent land use legal team in AZ).

As for water - this document has a significant discussion about it and includes a commitment letter from AZ Water to supply without problem.

This is a long - dry read for the most part - but lots of graphics and interesting reading.

I will of course be at the planning meeting next week - but I am at all of them!

I personally am as excited about the "adjunct" amenities planned in the project potentially - Amtrak station, Movie Studio, Vet School, College Annex etc.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...0188cd.pdf.pdf

Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,996,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
An AZ theme park should be built in the Verde Valley or somewhere on the Colorado Plateau, like Williams or Flagstaff. Summers are just too hot in the low country
Agree 100%. When the kids are out of school (when most families take trips to amusement parks), having them stand around outside in 110 degree weather all day is flat out stupid and dangerous. Plus, can you imagine how hot the rides would be in the summer? OUCH!!!!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,996,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
No way. It would be freezing standing in line and have snow on the ground for half the year. The elevation change and drive from Socal, or Vegas would be such a hassle if you thought you were going to go play for the day. Williams is hours away from Vegas. There is no way it would draw any notable crowd from there. There is no market for it, Its not something most locals could afford to do often. Last, it just doesn't fit.... When I think of heading to Northern Arizona, a theme park is just not the..... theme. When I think of Northern AZ, I think of national forests and nature.

Casa Grande is getting some larger business growth and will become a booming location if this happens. The 10 year construction alone will be a big kickoff to Casa Grande connecting Phoenix to Tucson in a large Metropolis. They are talking an Amtrak station; This would be one of the few places where they would have plenty of room for this country to finally install a high-speed rail system to Socal. If this takes off, buy your retirement investment land in between as soon and as cheap as you can. With investment like this, and Lucid, This city could easily be built up as one of the most advanced cities on the planet in only 2-3 decades. Keep an eye on it, and see if the start of production starts to bring in other large tech.

As for the summer weather, you either design the park with many cooling off points, and shade or do the reasonable thing, and please.. MAKE IT OPEN AT NIGHT.. Summer hours should be around 8pm-10am. This will depend on who and what the focus is. There will be a sports park, and what will probably be the BIGGEST DIFFERENCE, between here and Disney (which I don't know of yet), but Disney does not sell alcohol.
You act like the Verde Valley is Anchorage or something. The Verde Valley gets snow, but not a ton like you think, and it melts off rather quickly. It would be cold in winter, yes, but not so cold you cant enjoy a day outside. And the beauty of the cold is that YOU CAN DRESS FOR IT. You cant dress for 110 and be comfortable standing outside all day long in that sun. Can you imagine the heat, coupled wiht long lines, blistering hot pavement, and the scorching ride surfaces? No one would be having a good time. Want ice cream? Forget it. Feel like sitting in someone else's sweat when they get off the ride? Yummy. It would be a disaster with people passing out all over the place. Heat Stroke City, baby!

And to propose operating hours from 8PM to 10AM is just weird, man. Families go to amusement parks in droves. I know, I lived by Six Flags Great America in Chicago area. Its majority families and teens. No family is going to take their children at those hours. Well, maybe a few, but the majority will whine about the hours and not go at all. I think the Verde Valley is actually a rather decent location to look at as a possibility.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM

As for location - the reason THIS area is always selected (Decades a few years ago and others that have not materialized) is clearly because of the proximity BETWEEN Phoenix and Tucson.

Going far north of Phoenix really minimizes the Tucson and Mexico populations as they will be just as close to the San Diego/Anaheim options.

This project is very appealing to those of us interested in Casa Grande planning as it is right at the "gateway" to the city when coming north from Tucson, and the city has been in search of an adequate project for this space for a while.

Still a long ways to go - I will have a much better feeling after this initial meeting next week.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:27 AM

594 posts, read 701,748 times
This is great news.
I am so looking forward to the fruition of this blessing..
I've said it over and over, Arizona is the prime real estate on planet earth.
People will read my post 100 years from now and say....how did he know.
It's funny because I look at the forefathers and mothers of our great state and wonder the same thing.
I thank God every day for the wisdom he impart to his children, past, present and future.
The world will marvel one day, near and far at the great garden of God called.........ARIZONA !

Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,209,953 times
Eloy would be a perfect spot for a Six Flags-style amusement park. Lots of open space, close enough to both Phoenix and Tucson, and there doesn't seem to be much of anything else going on that town.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Tumamoc -

This proposed location is as close to Eloy as you can get and still be in the city of Casa Grande. This is the area at the base of CG Mountain and behind the empty outlet malls along I 10 near I 8.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,696,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They go to Texas and Florida, why not here?
Much different level of heat. There is a huge difference between our 108°/84° and Dallas's 97°/76° or Orlando's 93°/72°. You realize that sidewalks and metal surfaces like doors give people first and second degree burns here in June&July?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona