Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,080,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Like I said, snow melts fast. Its probably already gone. And besides, all other amusement parks across the country have to deal with crappy weather, too. It would be no different.
It melted as soon as it hit the ground. My point is that anything with elevation over 3K feet and the weather is a little more unpredictable. Even that close to Phoenix is still a remote chance of snow almost year round. Doesn't make for good business if people are trying to make future plans and need to come from several hours away. The weather in Casa Grande for 300+ days a year is going to be sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:45 PM

770 posts, read 838,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
oh geeze, chill out about the light rail. so you're one of the few... Do I really need to break that down for you?

First, what would you think the ticket is going to be to enter?? Tickets to Disney are over $100 per person for a day. Then add on food, drinks, souvenirs, games, add-ons, and you're at $150-$200 per person for one day. Then this is a theme park, which means its probably designed to be more for families/kids. Two adults and two kids, were talking (EVEN IF, kids got free tickets which they don't), were at $300-$1,000 for the day for a family of four. Then lets get realistic about anyone who has that kind of money to blow on entertainment, IS GOING TO HAVE A VEHICLE. Between the hassle of taking and leaving with the kids after a long day, plus everything you may be bringing back with you, people are going to want the convenience and ease of there own vehicles. Single people don't go to the theme park to hang out, or because they want to go on a rollercoaster a few times for $100. You might, and you might not, have that kind of money to blow on a day of fun now that I've spelled out a little bit of what the costs are, but the average light rail user does not.

And just FYI, Castles & Coasters, is an arcade with a mini golf and a few carnival rides. Its for kids, and really lame people going on a first date. What you're suggesting is taking little sally's lemonade stand, and make a grocery store out of it.

FYI I own a damn vehicle and first off I would ride to the light rail but this is The mute point anyway since this isn't going to be built anywhere. Not casa grande not here but the Metrocenter location makes more sense then casa grande regardless what you think.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,352,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Closing during the winter when kids are in school is one thing, closing for the summer when kids are on summer break is completely different.
Just need to get all those kids in the Southern Hemisphere to visit during their summer when they're off from school, which would be the winter time in the Northern Hemisphere!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:08 PM

127 posts, read 171,765 times
I'm disappointed that in five pages, nobody has made a cheap Westworld reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
FYI I own a damn vehicle and first off I would ride to the light rail but this is The mute point anyway since this isn't going to be built anywhere. Not casa grande not here but the Metrocenter location makes more sense then casa grande regardless what you think.
I think both sides of this argument are overly focused on local customers, where when I hear "global destination" and comparisons to Walt Disney World, I'm thinking a typical customer is expected to be deplaning at PHX without a car and needing to proceed from there. (Say what you will about the viability of that business model.) Neither riding the light rail nor renting a car and driving 45 minutes across the desert in August sound like the go-to solution.

Phoenix is delightful, but I don't know that too many folks leave room in their Disney World/Universal Studios itineraries to spend an evening experiencing downtown Orlando.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:20 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,387 times
Mister A -

Reading their proposal - it is a combination of both:

An analysis was performed on 4 markets, i.e. broad market, target market, local
market and target submarket. Additional analysis was performed on the State of
Arizona, Tucson and Yuma MSAs that are part of the broad market.

 The broad market is defined as a roughly 400 Mile radius of DVCG which includes
several U.S MSAs and several northern tier cities in Mexico. The broad market
represents a population of 39.2 million.

 The target market consists of both the Phoenix and Tucson MSAs with a combined
population of 6.5 million and average household income of $70,355.

 The local market consists of the Phoenix MSA with a population of 5.4 million and
average household income of $71,817.

 The target submarket consists of a 100 Mile radius of the proposed DVCG site.

However they also mention having a "satellite facility" near Sky Harbor to assist visitors with arrangements etc.

So I think they expect a combination of both - they are "projecting" at buildout 4 million visitors per year.

Again - still early. But a lot of effort already put into this.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:26 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,352,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
I'm disappointed that in five pages, nobody has made a cheap Westworld reference.
I was thinking of an "Under the Dome" reference, where they construct the largest dome in the history of mankind!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,733,496 times
I usually don't take these proposals serious for various reasons, however, I think this one may actually have a shot if they can get the funding. Time will tell.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
There are also ways to diminish the effects of the heat at amusement parks. Misters, shade, lots of structures.

Use some imagination negative nancies this is a 4billion dollar project, not two guys and some bricks.
My sister-in-law came to visit us in August with her kids and we took them to the Water Park. They about died and said "it is way to hot to be at the Water Park". I can't imagine strolling around a amusement park from May to October.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 PM

8,638 posts, read 10,167,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Stop trying to make Dreamport Metrocenter happen.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:40 PM

127 posts, read 171,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Mister A -

Reading their proposal - it is a combination of both...Again - still early. But a lot of effort already put into this.
Oh, for sure it's a combination. I just mean that access to existing local mass transit is not likely their guiding principle.

Reading it, I note that they go on to spend a lot of time talking about deplaned passengers and visits to Arizona from outside the state. They seem to envision the local market as including existing tourism, people who are visiting Arizona otherwise, so it's hard to break the number out. I also note that they project an initial marketing budget nearly on par with the State of Arizona's marketing budget.

This screenshot implies that they're envisioning something heavily indoors. The "Under the Dome" reference above may be right on-point.

Dreamport Villages: Developer proposes $4B amusement park over 1,500 acres in Casa Grande - ABC15 Arizona

If it's for real, it's certainly interesting. The Block Sports Company appears to have historically built go-kart tracks or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona