Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,880 times

Advertisements

My family and I plan on moving to the Florence area may 2018. We currently live in Illinois and I'm curious about the home buying process for first time home buyers. We're tired of renting and decided if we're gonna make the move we're gonna go ahead and buy. Was wondering what to expect for a down payment and just regulations in general for buying. Being that I'm from Illinois will this hinder me from buying a home since I'll obviously be getting a new job? Being at a job for 2 years is what I hear is the Golden rule when buying. I have been working for the state of Illinois for over that amount of time now can I buy the home while I'm still employed here? How is the Florence area in general? We have 2 kids one that will be going into 2nd grade at that time and the other will be going into kindergarten... How are schools? My significant other is a cosmetologist is the area good for that line of work? I've worked in corrections for about 5 years now so I'd like to be in the Florence area because that's where I plan to apply and work if all goes well at the state prison or maybe at county level. Will see when it gets to that time. I'd be willing to look into a 20mile radius of Florence. Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 06:04 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,456,142 times
Since you're a CO you may not mind, but bear in mind that the city of Florence is almost ALL:

a) Prison employees
or
b) inmates' families (for visitation purposes)

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck then get a house in Florence or Coolidge. If you could do a slightly longer commute then look into Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, East Mesa and possibly Gilbert and Apache Junction...That would at least give u some more options of possibly being less out in the boonies...Good luck...Now go lock down ;-)

Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,347,527 times
Don't forget about Casa Grande! LOTS of CO's here - both the state employees that drive to Florence, and the CoreCivic (formerly CCA) private variety for the three facilities in nearby Eloy.

I will let a loan officer pipe in on the home buying process since it has been awhile since I did - and it was before the crash so I am sure rules have changed.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 PM

98 posts, read 137,435 times
Florence, Arizona lacks the glamour portrayed in the Sally Field/James Garner movie [i]Murphy's Romance[i], as well as the 2 traffic lights. It's basically prisons and the county seat of Pinal County. If you stay at the Blue Mist Motel, located conveniently across the street from 2 of the prisons, you may want to avoid the room where one escaped prisoner killed his mother-in-law, a few decades ago.

Almost all the jobs are around Phoenix (Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa) and Tucson because only about 15% of the population lives away from those areas.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,880 times
Yea I don't mind living in a "prison town". I live less than a mile from the prison I work for now. We both also like the whole being away from society and driving to get to things and places. My parents and uncle/aunt live in Gilbert and it's way to crazy for me. I'm used to slow moving even at the old age of 29 lol. My only concern was my other half getting a job. I can't imagine Florence is a hot bed for hair stylists​. I'll look into the towns mentioned for sure. Any info on buying a house in AZ while being in Illinois is greatly appreciated. I have no clue on where to begin with that.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:18 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,061 times
I would say getting pre approved for a mortgage amount should be the very first thing you do, especially if you are a first time home buyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona