Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 48,650 times

Advertisements

The PHX, TUCSON area is a potiential contender as a place for my family and I to move. people that ive talked to in real life say positive things about it, but researching online people say a lot of negative things such as:
-rude people
-too hot
-boring terrain
-no jobs
theres whole threads and websites dedicated to how much people hate AZ. Yet, ATL is the opposite people hype this place up online and in person, and I've been here a year with mostly bad experiences. They complain that theres no jobs in AZ or the pay in too low for retail or warehouse, but a indeed/craigslist search shows most warehouse and entry jobs start at 10-12 hourly. Medical Billing jobs call me from AZ
and I'm not even there, yet ATL recruiters don't email back nor call after I send a million resumes. They
have hiring freezes all over the city and half of the production jobs send people home because there is no work. ATlis far worse those positions pay $8 average and expect a lot out of you during the job process. Its very lengthy and you waste a lot of time on bait staffing agencies that lie to get you in, then have nothing for you. ATL is super ghetto no matter where you go and job competition is fierce, since this is a college state. People with degrees have trouble here. I haven't had any luck in my field medical billing, wheres in Chicago I only needed to interview at one to two places before I got a job. I've never been turned down a professional job in Chicago. As far as rude people, ATL has a plethora of non-helpful and jealous people. Jobs are so scare they'll do anything to take your spot or get you out of the way to keep theirs. ATL has nothing but nightlife and that's not relevant as I am married with children.

I just want to know honest opinions of the job market and the renting houses/apartment situation out there....I don't want to go somewhere else and its ATL part2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM

550 posts, read 1,486,872 times
People are not rude here in my opinion, though they aren't as friendly as people in Raleigh (where I lived for 9 years) and I'm guessing they won't be as friendly as people in Atlanta.

It is really hot, you kind of have to plan your life around the heat in the summer, but you know, we all manage.

The terrain is far from boring, especially compared to the southeast. There are beautiful mountains in every direction. I have no idea what those people were talking about, Phoenix the most scenic place I've lived, and for whatever reason landscaping is taken very seriously here.

As for jobs, I can only really comment on my own field (engineering). There are plenty of jobs for people with 4 year degrees, but not a lot of companies are looking for people with PhDs. The factory operator jobs where I work, which go to people with no college degree, tend to be really easy to fill.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
People are not rude here in my opinion, though they aren't as friendly as people in Raleigh (where I lived for 9 years) and I'm guessing they won't be as friendly as people in Atlanta.

It is really hot, you kind of have to plan your life around the heat in the summer, but you know, we all manage.

The terrain is far from boring, especially compared to the southeast. There are beautiful mountains in every direction. I have no idea what those people were talking about, Phoenix the most scenic place I've lived, and for whatever reason landscaping is taken very seriously here.

As for jobs, I can only really comment on my own field (engineering). There are plenty of jobs for people with 4 year degrees, but not a lot of companies are looking for people with PhDs. The factory operator jobs where I work, which go to people with no college degree, tend to be really easy to fill.
Good, and I only ask about the warehouse jobs, because when your going through the lengthy process of getting a professional higher paying job, warehouse jobs where you can come in today and start tomorrow come in handy when supplementing income.

Also are there a lot of baiting staffing agencies there. That say theres jobs to get you to come in, and when u come in have nothing for you?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Hopefully your ATL experience shows you that reality and online opinions don't always match.

I would argue that many people love Phoenix, we've been one of the fastest growing cities for 50+ years now, our rapid growth is just one aspect of it. People complain about Phoenix and sunbelt cities a lot because it doesn't fit the mold of what some people think a city should be. Our Anglo history is shorter than most in the US and that draws a lot of criticism as well. There's also a lot of futile attempts to undercut our very existence but they're often not well constructed arguments and obviously from folks who do not understand Phoenix well.

I'd suggest you read the book by Gardy Gammage called The Future of the Suburban City. He takes a hard look at many of the critical points made about Phoenix and offers a very objective view on our future. This covers just about every topic you mentioned above which include.

I can offer my insight but I'd suggest you come and visit for yourself. Life works a little different here compared to typical northern cities. Summers are grueling but we make it work, pool time is kind of a way of life here, hiking is also considered a major part of life.

Rude People? Sure, they're every where. But I can't go on a single hike without someone saying hi and good morning, not rude at all. Driving can be crazy like everywhere but overall congestion is light here which makes for less aggression on the roads. Out and about people are talkative, open doors and our neighbors always wave and say hello.

Boring Terrain? I don't even remotely understand that argument. We've got rivers, lakes, mountain peaks and an amazing amount of outdoor activities to enjoy. I've never met anyone who found the view from atop the superstitions boring or the top of Four Peaks where the desert gives way to pine trees. There are seasonal waterfalls to find and just beyond the valley limits you reach the high country which is part of the largest pine forest in the world. Places like Fossil Creek, Tonto Natural Bridge, and even the riparian preserves around the valley are awesome. If you've never seen a Phoenix sunset from the top of south mountain you're missing out.

Too Hot? That's relative 75% of our days are below 100. And in the dry climate here that makes for amazing mornings and evenings for everything you want to do outdoors. Our summers are hot, hotter than any other big city in the US but we get through just like northern cities get through winters.

No Jobs? 14 Fortune 1000 companies are based here and our economy has been roaring lately, of course your industry may decide what types of jobs you need nearby but there's certainly a lot of jobs.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid93 View Post
Good, and I only ask about the warehouse jobs, because when your going through the lengthy process of getting a professional higher paying job, warehouse jobs where you can come in today and start tomorrow come in handy when supplementing income.

Also are there a lot of baiting staffing agencies there. That say theres jobs to get you to come in, and when u come in have nothing for you?
What do you mean by staffing agencies? Temps agencies? For those types, yes they will say they have jobs as they always do, however there is still an interview process and you have to be the right fit for the position. It’s not generally a “walk in and you’re hired” situation.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
There are a lot of people here that use improper grammar, type like they're 12, and come across as barely literate. Many, many low-level, low-income jobs to be had, but high-dollar white collar employment isn't as prevalent. I personally like living here, but this isn't exactly where most educated people end up and it's evident as you're out and about. If $10-12 per hour sounds good to you, you'll fit right in.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
This forum was a place for people to vent. During the recession, people who lost their jobs came here to vent about Arizona to feel better about themselves. People who are successful usually don't come on these forums. That's human nature. Most review sites attract negative reviews; rarely does someone who had a positive experience come to speak positively.

There are plenty of jobs of here. However, what is a valid criticism is the type of jobs. We don't have a lot of white collar jobs. We are getting better about attracting those jobs especially in the last 3 years as the economy has improved but Arizona doesn't help itself with it's redneck reputation which wards off well educated professionals who don't want to raise their children in a perceived right wing environment. In reality, it's socially liberal to moderate here but the headlines speak otherwise. As the economy has improved, the right wing element has died down. I predict recreational marijuana will be legalized in the next election and a lot of conservatives will be driven out by their perceived invasion of liberals.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Hopefully your ATL experience shows you that reality and online opinions don't always match.

I would argue that many people love Phoenix, we've been one of the fastest growing cities for 50+ years now, our rapid growth is just one aspect of it. People complain about Phoenix and sunbelt cities a lot because it doesn't fit the mold of what some people think a city should be. Our Anglo history is shorter than most in the US and that draws a lot of criticism as well. There's also a lot of futile attempts to undercut our very existence but they're often not well constructed arguments and obviously from folks who do not understand Phoenix well.

I'd suggest you read the book by Gardy Gammage called The Future of the Suburban City. He takes a hard look at many of the critical points made about Phoenix and offers a very objective view on our future. This covers just about every topic you mentioned above which include.

I can offer my insight but I'd suggest you come and visit for yourself. Life works a little different here compared to typical northern cities. Summers are grueling but we make it work, pool time is kind of a way of life here, hiking is also considered a major part of life.

Rude People? Sure, they're every where. But I can't go on a single hike without someone saying hi and good morning, not rude at all. Driving can be crazy like everywhere but overall congestion is light here which makes for less aggression on the roads. Out and about people are talkative, open doors and our neighbors always wave and say hello.

Boring Terrain? I don't even remotely understand that argument. We've got rivers, lakes, mountain peaks and an amazing amount of outdoor activities to enjoy. I've never met anyone who found the view from atop the superstitions boring or the top of Four Peaks where the desert gives way to pine trees. There are seasonal waterfalls to find and just beyond the valley limits you reach the high country which is part of the largest pine forest in the world. Places like Fossil Creek, Tonto Natural Bridge, and even the riparian preserves around the valley are awesome. If you've never seen a Phoenix sunset from the top of south mountain you're missing out.

Too Hot? That's relative 75% of our days are below 100. And in the dry climate here that makes for amazing mornings and evenings for everything you want to do outdoors. Our summers are hot, hotter than any other big city in the US but we get through just like northern cities get through winters.

No Jobs? 14 Fortune 1000 companies are based here and our economy has been roaring lately, of course your industry may decide what types of jobs you need nearby but there's certainly a lot of jobs.
Good points, I never thought the desert terrain was boring. It looks beautiful to me. People claim they get tired of the "Beige" coloring with the sand and homes. I agree that Rude people are everywhere. People have been more rude in ATL and stand offish than I have experienced in Chicago if I ever needed help or assistance. Heat doesn't bother me. I love the pool life. IF I have a professional job, ill be in an office anyways and really won't deal with it. Seems to be a lot of medical billing positions there, recruiters have already contacted me . How is the housing market for renting?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There are a lot of people here that use improper grammar, type like they're 12, and come across as barely literate. Many, many low-level, low-income jobs to be had, but high-dollar white collar employment isn't as prevalent. I personally like living here, but this isn't exactly where most educated people end up and it's evident as you're out and about. If $10-12 per hour sounds good to you, you'll fit right in.
$10-$12 doesn't sound good to me, but it's better than temp services here that only pay $8. Those type of wages are only acceptable to try to supplement income if all else fails when finding professional jobs.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:29 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
Life is what you make of it, whether its in Phoenix, Chicago, Miami, or anywhere else.

I dont understand why folks thing that their personality will be drastically changed by where they move to; if you are intelligent, happy, friendly, and upbeat, you'll do just fine anywhere you live.

If you are a negative, whiney, complainer, Debbie downer type, then it wont matter where you live.

Dont pay attention to things your read on an internet forum; if you dont like the "beige" color everywhere, then move to Flagstaff! Make up YOUR OWN mind about how you feel about someplace, based on YOUR OWN observations, not the krap you read on the internet..

There is a good reason the growth in Phoenix has been explosive recently, and its obviously not just because it doesn't snow here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona