Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 14,525 times

Advertisements

In north Arizona I never had A/C and was fine with just fans and open windows. I wouldn't attempt that in South Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 843 times
I survived for 4 years in Tucson with no AC or Swamp cooler. I had running water for one summer so I was able to douse myself with water from time to time. This was good as I had injured my knee, had no car and could barely walk. The other 3 years I had no running water but I was mobile so I could seek out cooler areas. This summer I still have no running water but I bought a portable swamp cooler and would take my cart to the Walmart and fill up my water jugs. I generally was able to run the swamp cooler about 4 hours daily which was a big help. So yes you can survive with out central cooling but it is miserable and dangerous. I am in this situation because of extreme poverty but it is what it is. You would be amazed at what you can do and endure to survive. I am 60 years old and in poor health but I am sure not dead yet!

Old 10-20-2021, 11:20 AM

13,904 posts, read 8,092,523 times
I have relatives who have lived in Tucson for the past 50 years. I recall visiting AZ when I was young. Our car had no AC and neither did my cousins house.

In the past I've turned off the AC in my home (Mesa) to see how long it takes to reach 90 degrees. In the peck summer months the house usually hits 90 degrees by noon.

I have a couple of these fans:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work pretty good in the event of an emergency.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:34 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,941,601 times
Flagstaff- no problem.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:34 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Can YOU make it in Arizona WITHOUT air conditioning from May-September?

In Phoenix in a coffin.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:09 AM

999 posts, read 552,836 times
Yeah no sweat (ha ha).......if I lived in Flagstaff. You probably should've posted this in the Phoenix forum or at least worded your post to indicate the desert regions.

Summers in Flag are awesome. Beautiful, green, expensive, low humidity, cool and maybe even chilly at night.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:16 AM

999 posts, read 552,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Whats the hottest region in Arizona? Southern AZ? Maybe thats for another topic.
Towns along the Colorado River. Yuma, Parker, Bullhead. All just absolutely miserable places to be in the summer with temps exceeding those in Phoenix by about 5 degrees.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:36 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Yeah no sweat (ha ha).......if I lived in Flagstaff. You probably should've posted this in the Phoenix forum or at least worded your post to indicate the desert regions.

Summers in Flag are awesome. Beautiful, green, expensive, low humidity, cool and maybe even chilly at night.
Flagstaff is a horrible place to live for working people, high prices (higher than Phoenix generally), but without a lot of jobs paying the wages necessary to afford said prices. This is due to people from California buying 2nd homes there

Old 10-27-2021, 01:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,583,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Yes, it is scientifically possible. I worked one summer at the Department of Energy as an intern. They had world-class scientists investigating renewable energy design. One branch of scientists and engineers worked with passive solar homes. The design enhances insulation, convection, cooling, heat reflection, etc. to cool the home. There are many variations, but the technology does it exist. It won't be "ideal" but can be made to survive a Phoenix summer.

Here is one example:
This house in the desert keeps itself cool and generates its own power

There are many online resources...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylmeMilok8
Great ideas for passive solar. But since the creator of the video is from the southern hemisphere where their north is our south those two directions would have to be switched for us up here in the northern hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona