Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,372,113 times

Advertisements

Does it get muggy after the rain or more like here, where it cools everything down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,720,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Does it get muggy after the rain or more like here, where it cools everything down.
It kind of does both, it gets cool-er (not really cool), and humid. After a good rain in July or August, the temp will drop to the high 70's, BUT the dewpoint will be in the 70's at that point too

Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,951,260 times
Quote:

We had a BIG rain here yesterday afternoon and it definitely cooled things down a lot. Also made it "muggy". I did turn off the AC and open both front and back doors. It wasn't bad at all. It was warmer inside the house than outside, till the breeze went through for a while. I don't know how much it cools down in the Phoenix area but it always does here after a good storm. It got down to about 75.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,720,423 times
Sky Harbor had an avg dewpoint of 62° yesterday, so that was the third consecutive 55°+, so using the old system, the monsoon started Sunday 7/9 this year.

Last year it started on Monday 6/27

Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,124,511 times
Up here on the mountain, the dew point has been hovering near but just below 55. Yesterday it was around 48 or so and no storms. Today looks dry too.

As far as 'uggy' muggy afterwards, not really up here. Unless the storm breaks too early and the clouds go away. Then you notice the extra humidity if it warms back up too much.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,006,003 times
Quote:
Its muggy before, during, and after the monsoon. Dewpoints need to register 55+ degrees for 3 consecutive days in order for monsoon season to officially start, and its been that for many days now. I got rain last night in Scottsdale, as my car is now a big dusty turd. Dewpoints the last few mornings have been in the upper 60's and low 70's, so yes, its very muggy. Don't believe the "dry heat" thing, it only really holds true for May and June, the other hot months are quite muggy.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,257,183 times
What people here refer to as muggy with dewpoints above 55 is not the mugginess felt in the Midwest where you walk outside and feel that you've walked into a sauna. I'm constantly surprised when friends here tell me a day is muggy!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:53 PM

700 posts, read 926,561 times
Nice monsoon pic this afternoon; drama!

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...f2&oe=59FD6703

Deelighted, I think the humidity got to be an issue in the past when evaporative coolers on houses were more common; the technology wouldn't evaporate very well or cool the house at a certain point.

A/C is more efficient and affordable now and more people have it and don't have to watch humidity figures. Now the data are of interest in predicting the arrival of the summer rains, since a certain level indicates the seasonal phenomenon has begun.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,257,183 times
We've had rain for the last three days. Wednesday and Thursday we also had fog so thick during the day that I couldn't even see the Huachuca Mountains for a couple of hours! Love it

Old 07-14-2017, 06:27 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,124,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
What people here refer to as muggy with dewpoints above 55 is not the mugginess felt in the Midwest where you walk outside and feel that you've walked into a sauna. I'm constantly surprised when friends here tell me a day is muggy!
My thoughts exactly. The real 'muggyness' I experienced was in south Texas in '91 while visiting a friend south of Houston. Wake up in the morning and the windows are fogged up from the outside. Take a shower and you can never really get dry. Now THAT's muggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Nice monsoon pic this afternoon; drama!

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...f2&oe=59FD6703

Deelighted, I think the humidity got to be an issue in the past when evaporative coolers on houses were more common; the technology wouldn't evaporate very well or cool the house at a certain point.

A/C is more efficient and affordable now and more people have it and don't have to watch humidity figures. Now the data are of interest in predicting the arrival of the summer rains, since a certain level indicates the seasonal phenomenon has begun.
Wilma, nice. Like I said, besides the mountain, Tucson gets some pretty awesome activity during the monsoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona