Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Northern AZ is snowy, and often very frigid. Many mornings I watch the news and itll be 50 in PHX in the morning, and subzero up at the Grand Canyon, and a blizzard in Flagstaff. And no, I wouldn't recommend whitewater rafting in the winter, unless you want instant hypothermia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Northern AZ is snowy, and often very frigid. Many mornings I watch the news and itll be 50 in PHX in the morning, and subzero up at the Grand Canyon, and a blizzard in Flagstaff. And no, I wouldn't recommend whitewater rafting in the winter, unless you want instant hypothermia.
At the bottom of the Grand Canyon, on the river, temps are similar to Tucson year round

Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
At the bottom of the Grand Canyon, on the river, temps are similar to Tucson year round
Yes, but the water is f-f-f-f-freeeeezing. I know.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yes, but the water is f-f-f-f-freeeeezing. I know.
That skinny-dippin's gonna kill you eventually, Cats!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:15 PM

72 posts, read 79,886 times
Around Phoenix in January it can be a bit brisk on some days (especially after the sun sets). I had to leave the flip-flops at home and put on a t-shirt instead of tank top most days. Still wore shorts 50% of the time, but a few rare days I had to wear jeans/slacks. Not quite as warm as I was hoping winter would be, but still pleasant most of the time.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 14,433 times
In Grand Canyon, snow up to your hips and below zero temps are not unusual, but it is beautiful.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
High desert ranks as some of the coldest places in the continental US. There are definitely times I've seen where Flagstaff was the coldest city in the country on one particular day. Not a foreign concept for 7000 feet elevation.

Flagstaff gets 100" of snow a year, one of the snowiest cities in the country. And it always snows in May, too. But it is why Flagstaff is a great ski town.

No humidity to keep anything temperate, and that goes for both high and low desert. While this can be beneficial, it means big temperature extremes not just during the week but even during the day. In the winter its not an unusual concept to have a 40 degree difference between highs and lows (like 70 and 30 which happened in Tucson quite often) or even more. This concept is why Los Angeles is nice by the coast and then suddenly triple digits a few miles in. No different here, except it's already evened out because we are far enough inland.

But winters in high and low desert are almost night and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona