Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,815 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a trip to AZ in January or February. Thinking about Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon etc. I really want to do white water rafting. Is that possible to do in the winter? I've never been to AZ, but I've heard the state has extremes in weather. Like 100 in the southern part, snowing up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,660,545 times
Awesome, just avoid Flagstaff in the winter, they can get snow.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:54 PM

3,612 posts, read 7,952,923 times
> 100 in the southern part, snowing up north.

More like 70 in Phoenix when it snows in Flagstaff.

Sedona can get snow in January/February. It will never last long, rarely into the afternoon. Or if may be 60 and sunny. The Grand Canyon rim is roughly at the same altitude as Flagstaff, so it can be cold, chilly, and snowy. Or maybe not.

Come with some warm clothing, some T shirts, and be prepared to adjust your plans according to the weather.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,174 times
Expect snow from Flagstaff, Grand Canyon northward. Lovely, warm and dry in the southeast. Florence AZ is affordable, stress free and centrally located to the rest of the state for day trips. Youtube has some good videos on historic Florence and the general area. Canyon and Apache Lakes are spectacular.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 PM

696 posts, read 707,500 times
Although winter in southern Arizona is mild compared to what we have in New England (and is usually quite nice), I've experienced snow in February and sleet in March while visiting Tucson and the surrounding area. We went to the Grand Canyon one May and found the early morning to be chilly.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:36 PM

44,678 posts, read 61,802,419 times
Grand Canyon in the winter is beautiful with all the snow and red scenic background. Lower central AZ is gorgeous in Jan-Feb. You'll think you're in heaven with the mild temps. Tucson rarely gets snow, mostly in the higher parts of the Mtns.
To put it in perspective Phoenix and Tucson are where the thousands of winter visitors from the cold areas come to enjoy the warm winter weather. White water rafting is doubtful.
You'll love it in AZ.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,629,498 times
Quote:
What's Arizona like in the winter?
According to snowbirds...

it's HEAVENLY! It's PARADISE!

Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,741,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1000 View Post
I'm considering a trip to AZ in January or February. Thinking about Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon etc. I really want to do white water rafting. Is that possible to do in the winter? I've never been to AZ, but I've heard the state has extremes in weather. Like 100 in the southern part, snowing up north.
Get some zip codes for places you might visit and run them through the monthly weather at Weather.com.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:57 PM

202 posts, read 221,356 times
The Southern arid portion has great weather during winter. Northern Arizona is usually very cold. You'll experience snow there. I'd still visit that area because it's really quite scenic. The Grand Canyon is really nice when it snows, but I think the North portion gets closed down. Not sure about that. Hiking is a great activity here in Phoenix. White water rafting is mostly closed I think. You'll have to do more research on that.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,676,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
The Southern arid portion has great weather during winter. Northern Arizona is usually very cold. You'll experience snow there. I'd still visit that area because it's really quite scenic. The Grand Canyon is really nice when it snows, but I think the North portion gets closed down. Not sure about that. Hiking is a great activity here in Phoenix. White water rafting is mostly closed I think. You'll have to do more research on that.
Yes, the road from Fredonia to the North Rim is closed from November thru April every year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona