Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should AZ have more military license plates?
Yes 15 32.61%
No 26 56.52%
Army 3 6.52%
Navy 4 8.70%
Air Force 3 6.52%
Coast Guard 1 2.17%
National Guard 1 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 06:21 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

Since this post has been resurrected, on the subject, AZ's USMC plates is not restricted to those who served in the USMC. Anyone from a draft dodgers to felons can legally obtain and use the plate. All special plates (with the exception of those restricted by legislature to a specific verified group of recipients) can be bought by anyone for whatever reason they want so long as they pay the state their money. Money collected for these special plates are required to be used for a related purpose. In the case of the USMC plate, it's used for educational scholarships for Marine and Navy dependents who meet certain requirement. Limiting this to only USMC personnel or dependents would not have reached enough viability of sales to make it worthwhile for the State to process the special requests; so, the sponsors said any old Joe nobody can get and display the USMC plate even if it's just to pretend they were a Marine to impress others or gain free stuff. The state just wants their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 06:41 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Since this post has been resurrected, on the subject, AZ's USMC plates is not restricted to those who served in the USMC. Anyone from a draft dodgers to felons can legally obtain and use the plate. All special plates (with the exception of those restricted by legislature to a specific verified group of recipients) can be bought by anyone for whatever reason they want so long as they pay the state their money. Money collected for these special plates are required to be used for a related purpose. In the case of the USMC plate, it's used for educational scholarships for Marine and Navy dependents who meet certain requirement. Limiting this to only USMC personnel or dependents would not have reached enough viability of sales to make it worthwhile for the State to process the special requests; so, the sponsors said any old Joe nobody can get and display the USMC plate even if it's just to pretend they were a Marine to impress others or gain free stuff. The state just wants their money.
This is what I don't agree with AZ as far as obtaining plates. In Colorado when I wanted to get Honorable Discharge Veteran plates, I'd have to bring in a copy of my DD214 to the DMV as evidence that I'm a Veteran in order to qualified for the plates. Same goes for the other branches. If you were in the USMC, you should only be allowed to get USMC plates and not other branches.

Who Qualifies:
'Any person who can demonstrate being honorably discharged or retired from any branch of the U.S. Armed Services.'

Requirements:
'Qualifying person must submit a copy of form DD214 (issued by the U.S. Government) or their honorable discharge documents.'

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/node/41611/

Until AZ gets more military plates, I'm sticking with the standard Grand Canyon ones.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:53 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
This is what I don't agree with AZ as far as obtaining plates. In Colorado when I wanted to get Honorable Discharge Veteran plates, I'd have to bring in a copy of my DD214 to the DMV as evidence that I'm a Veteran in order to qualified for the plates. Same goes for the other branches. If you were in the USMC, you should only be allowed to get USMC plates and not other branches.

Who Qualifies:
'Any person who can demonstrate being honorably discharged or retired from any branch of the U.S. Armed Services.'

Requirements:
'Qualifying person must submit a copy of form DD214 (issued by the U.S. Government) or their honorable discharge documents.'

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/node/41611/
It's my understanding that to get a "Veteran" license plate in Arizona, a person must be a veteran of the armed forces. But, the USMC plate isn't a recognition plate (like Veteran, Classic Cars, or similar plates with specific requirements) it's just a slogan plate like a Sports team plates, Pet plates, or supporting solar energy.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
yes

Old 05-14-2019, 04:00 PM

Called the DMV earlier for general questions regarding more military AZ vanity plates for the other branches such as US Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. They said there is a bill that's going through and in the process of creating the special plate designs for the other 'missing' branches. They can't go into full details, but it will be available by the end of the year.

My guess, they will look similar to these?

Old 05-19-2019, 12:34 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
I'd love to see a Zombie Outbreak Response Team license plate

Old 05-24-2019, 03:47 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Quote:
Called the DMV earlier for general questions regarding more military AZ vanity plates for the other branches such as US Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. They said there is a bill that's going through and in the process of creating the special plate designs for the other 'missing' branches. They can't go into full details, but it will be available by the end of the year.

My guess, they will look similar to these?

Bunch of POG's. The fact that AZ went with USMC and not others should tell you something. They could do Navy Corpsman plates too.

I have a coworker that's a Sea Bee veteran. He told me once "anyone can buy a USMC shirt, you know". I told him anyone can buy a Navy shirt but nobody does. Then our Chair Force vet coworker started laughing, and I told him I'll try and hire a Coastie or an ex postal worker so he has someone to pick on.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Quote:
AZ currently has Marine Corp, Military Support (freedom), Veteran and woman veteran plates. Where are the other branches, Army, Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force license plates? With the amount of veterans living in AZ, we deserve a larger selection.

Yes that is discrimination no matter where you are. As an ex-marine said to his fellow classmates ( in college )

"all military are the same and none are different in aspect of duty" ( This was a Marine who have seen Navy and Army armed with him on missions. ). You might be a computer network technician but does not mean you will be up against a wall with your hand on the trigger.

I feel the Marine Corp might have been installed since 2001 as marketing. I know 19 years looks like a long time but in reality it is not.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
AZ currently has Marine Corp, Military Support (freedom), Veteran and woman veteran plates. Where are the other branches, Army, Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force license plates? With the amount of veterans living in AZ, we deserve a larger selection.
More propaganda for thr military industrial Complex.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:14 PM

Looks like this might go through. I've contacted a few congressmen via e-mail and Paul Gosar regarding the expansion of Veteran license plates for the other 4 branches. I suggest others to e-mail sborrelli@azleg.gov as they have more information for the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: