Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,486,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybSecGuy View Post
Then consider the Tarantula Hawks, gigantic wasps with the second most painful insect bite in the world, flying in enormous death squadrons, ready to attack innocent passers-by, anywhere you can find a small patch of greenery that may contain a flowering plant, if you live long enough on your trek through the endless sandy dunes that make up 99.7% of the Arizona wastelands.

Or consider the roaming hordes of Killer Bees that kill 99.7% of the Arizona population each year.

Or Javelinas, a.k.a. Collared Peccaries, humungous and insanely aggressive pig-like monstrosities that storm down the streets of Arizona's towns in packs that number well into the hundreds, looking to gore to death those careless enough to ever leave their walled domiciles.

Please, be informed before making a choice to willingly transplant to Arizona. Just watch the Road Warrior and you'll basically see a cleaned up, Tourism Board-approved version of Arizona.
Those are not natural disasters. Yourself and teddy could benefit from reading comprehension. So I don't consider them, in relation to my original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I am also thinking about moving to the Phoenix metro area, from Las Vegas. I do like that the natural disaster potential in Arizona is very low, too.
Pain is subjective, therefore "second most painful bite in world", is just your own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 11:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Pain is subjective, therefore "second most painful bite in world", is just your own opinion.
That's not true. There is an established insect sting pain index.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_sting_pain_index

Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,092,503 times
Y'all forgot to mention the fact that you can't drive more than an hour at a time on a highway without a giant rock hitting your windshield from getting kicked up by other cars in front of you on the highway (not much grass and foliage to hold down rocks
means plenty of loose rocks and pebbles all over). Sometimes the big ones break through altogether, which is scary (and loud). Plan on replacing your windshield at least once a week. There is an entire cottage industry devoted to this so you WILL receive at least 10-20 calls per day from auto glass solicitors who know you likely have a cracked windshield at any given moment. Nothing you can do about it. Just comes with the territory of living in Arizona.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM

69 posts, read 54,267 times
Quote:
Those are not natural disasters. Yourself and teddy could benefit from reading comprehension. So I don't consider them, in relation to my original post.

It is ironic that you seem to feel qualified to so readily identify low reading comprehension in others.

Don't worry, most local forum folks know what I was doing, even though you don't.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,486,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That's not true. There is an established insect sting pain index.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_sting_pain_index
Yes, it is true. Whether or not there's an index, pain is subjective. The fact that a pain index can even exist is testament that pain is subjective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybSecGuy View Post
It is ironic that you seem to feel qualified to so readily identify low reading comprehension in others.

Don't worry, most local forum folks know what I was doing, even though you don't.
What you were doing, as in, twisting words? Don't worry. I'm not worried what you were doing. Nice of you to reassure the forum folks, though. I was clarifying my original post mentioning natural disasters and your response, veering off topic.

Last edited by Code Stemi; 01-15-2019 at 12:37 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 07:01 AM

2,926 posts, read 3,101,309 times
Some people just don't get a bit of satire . . .

Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,886,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonap View Post
You mean they steal paint? (Sorry coulldn't resist.)
They're THAT good!

Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 AM

69 posts, read 54,267 times
Quote:
What you were doing, as in, twisting words? Don't worry. I'm not worried what you were doing. Nice of you to reassure the forum folks, though. I was clarifying my original post mentioning natural disasters and your response, veering off topic.
Gee, I'm sorry to do this to you, buddy, but it appears that you need a little dose of reality:

1) You wrongly assumed I was responding to your natural disaster opinions, though I gave zero indication that I was responding directly to your post. You're free to assume all you want, but that doesn't make it reality. I quote folks, as I am now with you, when I am responding directly to another poster's comment(s). Reading comprehension indeed.

2) Speaking of veering off topic, natural disasters are not the topic either. The title of this thread adequately describes the topic. Your sub topic is no more germane to the original subject than my satire. Maybe you would benefit from a little reading comprehension as well.

3) I am glad that you're not worried.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Yes, it is true. Whether or not there's an index, pain is subjective. The fact that a pain index can even exist is testament that pain is subjective.
Most things are subjective, where different people react to stimuli differently, but that doesn't minimize them to nothing more than opinion; your premise is false. The tarantula hawk is the second most painful insect sting in the world according to the widely accepted pain index.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 619 times
Is Arizona cheaper to live in like Texas? I hate living in Texas((
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona