Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should historical monuments be removed if they offend some people?
yes 11 13.58%
no 70 86.42%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2017, 12:01 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,180,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Growing up near Boston I didn't see many memorials to the Red Coats.
Here's my favorite btw:

The history of many of the early post Civil War statues/memorials is complicated and ties into the difficulties faced during Reconstruction. So I don't think all memorials were created equal and if locals want to re-examine their presence then they should do so in a respectful manner.

That being said, when I see CAIR wants all Confederate memorials removed nationwide I immediately think hit the brakes.
How is this a memorial to red coats?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
How is this a memorial to red coats?
It isn't, just one of my favorites. Poor sentence structure.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,243 times
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...estroy-9602686

One of Arizona's six Confederate monuments has been defaced just days after President Donald Trump lamented the removal of Robert E. Lee statues at a Tuesday press conference at Trump Tower.

A stone monument of the president of the Confederate States, Jefferson Davis, was apparently tarred and feathered on Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway near Apache Junction.

The haters will not stop until all these monuments are destroyed, once they have been destroyed then they will attack all Christian monuments, wait and see.True Christians will never support transgenderism or homosexual marriage because the Bible speaks against these sins, so they will be attacked along with Christian symbols and monuments.This is the beginning of the end.

Last edited by autism360; 08-17-2017 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 04:06 PM

700 posts, read 921,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
The poll indicates so far that the vast majority of patriotic Arizona Americans want historical monuments left alone.You just do not want to admit it. The stats show only 2 people out of 24 would want a ,monument removed. That is a huge
The poll question refers to historical monuments; so if monuments are not historical, then 20 million poll respondents x zero relevance still = zero relevance.

One way that the Daughters of Confederacy monuments erected in Arizona in the 1940’s could become Arizona history would be if bigger monuments are erected adjacent, explaining how a group of late-coming, bitter busybodies traveled around the country inserting their attempts to rehabilitate their grandfathers’ legacies. That might be instructive.

Both sides of my family immigrated to Virginia from the British Isles in the 1600’s; many appear as owners in the slave schedules. Members fought on both sides of the Civil War. Probably this aforementioned class of busybody is the reason a lot of the family left for parts west as soon as the Cumberland Gap opened up.

In other news, personally I am not a fan of the Villa statue; I like the Kino statue and agree it would look more at home in Veinte de Agosto Park park downtown. Pretty sure the mismatched location prompts some of the controversy. However, it’s a fact that at least Pancho Villa has Arizona history during the Mexican Civil War down in and around Douglas and the Slaughter Ranch, where Mr Slaughter made Villa's outfit pay for the beef they killed and ate. Villa has some fun legends attached to the Gadsden Hotel there, as some insist his ghost haunts the basement — and his horse's hoof nicked the renowned staircase.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:41 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,571 times
Quote:
The haters will not stop until all these monuments are destroyed, once they have been destroyed then they will attack all Christian monuments, wait and see.True Christians will never support transgenderism or homosexual marriage because the Bible speaks against these sins, so they will be attacked along with Christian symbols and monuments.This is the beginning of the end.
I think the emboldened part is why some find your credibility hard and believe you're full of a piping-hot load of crap when you try to make this cause noble (to simplify it just for you, you brought up a completely irrelevant topic, which shows your prejudice). What do trans people and same-sex marriage have to do with Confederate memorials? You've also made it abundantly clear that your opinions and beliefs matter, whereas those of others don't, and the way that you interpret statues who represent soldiers (who were white, as you obsessively have to include whenever you mention it) is all that matters in leaving them up. If I felt like raising funds to build a colossal monument in Phoenix—a statue that would dwarf the Spring Temple Buddha—of Baphomet or LGBT people who have died at the hands of Christian persecution and ideology, you'd change your tune in what you support, because your fake outrage over this issue would be real outrage when your silly superstitions, I mean, beliefs are challenged.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Arizona Confederate Monuments Defaced | Phoenix New Times

One of Arizona's six Confederate monuments has been defaced just days after President Donald Trump lamented the removal of Robert E. Lee statues at a Tuesday press conference at Trump Tower.

A stone monument of the president of the Confederate States, Jefferson Davis, was apparently tarred and feathered on Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway near Apache Junction.

How one person can live in such fear over absurd hypotheticals is just plain sad. Obsession with the LGBT is a bit bizarre and even more so considering the thread that YOU started has nothing to do with that subject.

On topic, if they're glorifying racism, chop them down. If they're depicting important parts of American history, leave them alone.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 08-17-2017 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times
I have mixed thoughts. I'm all for leaving the statues, plaques and monuments up if they're at battlesites or other historically important places (historical houses etc). Otherwise, they're not reminders of history but symbols that divide the country, much as the war did back then.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Arizona Confederate Monuments Defaced | Phoenix New Times

The only "monument" AZ needs is the one recognizing the battle at Picacho Pass. Any other monument in the state isn't historical in my mind, it's political.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,801,769 times
Pretty disingenuous to suggest that statues are mere "reminders" of history. If that were indeed true, I'm sure Germany would have its fair share of reminders in the likeness of Hitler. That isn't the case for a very good reason that seems to be lost on many conservatives.

So let's not play dumb. Statues are erected for the exact purpose of canonizing the individual they represent. Americans are simply saying that we do not want racists and traitors portrayed as heroes on our public grounds. If you have a problem with that then you are, in fact, the one with the problem.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Pretty disingenuous to suggest that statues are mere "reminders" of history. If that were indeed true, I'm sure Germany would have its fair share of reminders in the likeness of Hitler. That isn't the case for a very good reason that seems to be lost on many conservatives.
Which is why I said if they commemorate the battle, they're historical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona