Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,955,748 times

Advertisements

Pronghorn, coati, roadrunner, prairie dog, owls that live in saguaro cacti, jack rabbit all on a trip to Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,521,801 times
I moved away several years back, but was living in the White Mountains. We saw javelina, elk, mountain lions, coyotes, rattlesnakes, and black bears on our acreage.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,258,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarashane View Post
As a former Grand Canyon National Park resident I saw ring tailed cats, rabbits, mule deer, elk, skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, ravens, havalinas, a lone black wolf (it was just me and him at 4:00 am), coyote, big horn sheep,and an occasional bat. Loved it there.
Wolf! Lucky!

Bear, wouldn't think there are too many of those. Sounds like an acreage I would want to buy and live on

Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,884,829 times
Coyotes trotting across Van Buren Ave in downtown Phoenix at 3am. Tarantulas out near Canyon Lake. Javelina at my ex girlfriends parents house in Mirana (outside of Tucson). Coyotes in Butler Park in north central Phoenix. Coyotes while mountain biking in the Squaw Peak preserve aka north mountain preserve. Coyotes in my subdivision near Rural and Warner when I was in college on several occasions. Coyotes while hiking up in Flagstaff. Antelope while working as a roadway inspector on the new roundabout in Chino Valley. Elk while driving in the white mountains east of Payson.

Last edited by HTY483; 09-21-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,933,122 times
I've had two encounters I will never forget.Both were in Lake Havasu City>
In the spring the quail have chicks and sometimes cross streets in a little procession. One day a little one could not hop over the curb across the street. The rest of the the tribe was standing on the vacant lot and the parents were squawking encouragement to the tiny chick to catch up. My kids and several neighbor kids noticed the plight of the poor bird and one of them carefully helped the chick over the curb using plastic sandwich bags on her hands. As they all stood watching the tiny quail waddle up the slope, a hawk came out of nowhere to snatch up the tasty morsel. The look on their faces was priceless. Kinda like this>
The other encounter was near the Havasu Airport when it was still on the island. A friend and i were running around the island perimeter road with my dog Barney, who happened to be female, and in heat. Usually she was in front of us, running and sniffing bushes. When I realized she was behind us I turned around and she was trotting along about 10 yards back, with a coyote a few feet behind. We all stopped for a few seconds, and Wiley took off. I made sure Barney was in front of us during the rest of the run. I know how persistent male dogs can be around females in heat

Old 09-22-2017, 03:48 PM

746 posts, read 885,982 times
We have a lot of families of quail which I love. We had a very long king snake a couple of weeks ago. I was able to touch him while he was passing through our yard-very cool! We also had a turtle show up in our garage very thirsty! We put him in a large container of water and he drank it down like he hadn't had a drink in a long time. We released him to one of the irrigation ponds nearby. He was a very happy turtle to see that water. 2 days ago we had 2 cardinals at our bird feeder. They have a very pretty song. We've also had several parakeets and lovebirds, but obviously someone released those. Coyotes, lots of different lizards, hummingbirds, great horned owls-due to lots of bunnies in our yard, red tailed hawks, a male and female roadrunner live in our neighborhood. They too have interesting calls. I like watching the Grackles in the spring. The males put on quite a show for the ladies! When we irrigate, sometimes we'll get a few ducks that stay while the water is there. Saw a bunch of Javalinas when I was in school. There was at least 15 and they created quite a dust storm running their way through the yard! Lots of deer and elk up near the Grand Canyon. Lots of antelope near Prescott.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:20 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,190,361 times
Just had a roadrunner on the back fence...apparently that is supposed to be good fortune?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona