Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:11 PM

33 posts, read 31,038 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Phoenix in a week to run the marathon! My first trip to someplace warm in the winter. I'm only going to be there for 5 days, and I wanted to see as much of the state as possible. Living on the border up here, I've always been curious about the border area by Nogales. I see there are a couple ways to get there (shuttle, bus - I won't have a car). Is it a realistic day trip? Is there much to see or do there? Would going to Tucson for the day be just as interesting?

Either way I will be happy to be absent from -20 windchill temporarily!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 AM

4,528 posts, read 6,218,151 times
By car (I'd rent one), a 6 hour round trip from Phoenix, will make for a long day....but I'd go (stop here for lunch), take some extra cash for silver jewelery, and return thru Patagonia, stopping for ice cream. Stop overnight in Tucson, go up to Mt Lemmon to take in the view, go down the back side (gravel road) into Oracle and make your way back to Phoenix, just in time to make your flight, as (IMO), there is nothing to see in Phoenix. Beautiful country and views on the mountain drive.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 01-02-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-02-2018, 08:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
I think to say there is "nothing to see in Phoenix" is a view not to be adopted by someone who has never been here. I would not bother to spend a day driving to Nogales. Yes, the drive back suggested would be pretty. But, I'd go on a day trip to Sedona before I'd do that. But for any day trip out of the Valley, rent a car.

What to see in Phoenix depends on what interests you. The Musical Instrument Museum is truly a world class facility. The Heard Museum (southwestern Native American culture and art) is another. Taliesin West architecture school (established by Frank Lloyd Wright); Pueblo Grande Museum; lots of shopping, of course, particularly in Scottsdale.

If you get a car for Sedona, keep it and drive out Scottsdale Road up to Carefree, go west into Cave Creek and back down into Phoenix. Beautiful desert scenery right here in the Valley. Drive to South Mountain Park in south Phoenix and drive up to the lookout, especially at dusk. (Or, for a slightly lower view, go have a drink or dinner at Rustler's Rooste, and watch the city lights.

Good luck with the marathon, and safe travels!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:20 AM

3,603 posts, read 7,853,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
What to see in Phoenix depends on what interests you. The Musical Instrument Museum is truly a world class facility. The Heard Museum (southwestern Native American culture and art) is another. Taliesin West architecture school (established by Frank Lloyd Wright); Pueblo Grande Museum; lots of shopping, of course, particularly in Scottsdale.
IN Phoenix you haven't mentioned the Desert Botanical Gardens, which is very close to the airport. And quite an experience for anyone from the frozen north.

Without a car, your options for going outside Phoenix are rather limited. I believe there are tours that might be a good option.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
IN Phoenix you haven't mentioned the Desert Botanical Gardens, which is very close to the airport. And quite an experience for anyone from the frozen north.

Without a car, your options for going outside Phoenix are rather limited. I believe there are tours that might be a good option.

Forgot an obvious one! Thanks!

Old 01-08-2018, 02:15 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls14303 View Post
I'll be in Phoenix in a week to run the marathon! My first trip to someplace warm in the winter. I'm only going to be there for 5 days, and I wanted to see as much of the state as possible. Living on the border up here, I've always been curious about the border area by Nogales. I see there are a couple ways to get there (shuttle, bus - I won't have a car). Is it a realistic day trip? Is there much to see or do there? Would going to Tucson for the day be just as interesting?

Either way I will be happy to be absent from -20 windchill temporarily!

You can take any number of Mexican shuttles or buses (Tufesa, Tap Royal and Greyhound) that serve Phoenx, Tucson and Nogales. Personally, I would NOT spend the time or the money to see Nogales. I have been to every border city on the southern border from Matamoros to Tijuana. There is not much in Nogales. Both Tucson and Phoenix have a lot more to enjoy, especially for someone who has not been down here.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:29 AM

183 posts, read 240,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think to say there is "nothing to see in Phoenix" is a view not to be adopted by someone who has never been here. I would not bother to spend a day driving to Nogales. Yes, the drive back suggested would be pretty. But, I'd go on a day trip to Sedona before I'd do that. But for any day trip out of the Valley, rent a car.

If you get a car for Sedona, keep it and drive out Scottsdale Road up to Carefree, go west into Cave Creek and back down into Phoenix. Beautiful desert scenery right here in the Valley. Drive to South Mountain Park in south Phoenix and drive up to the lookout, especially at dusk. (Or, for a slightly lower view, go have a drink or dinner at Rustler's Rooste, and watch the city lights.

Good luck with the marathon, and safe travels!
You're right,but stop pushing Sedona...it gets crowded enough with tourists LOL I say it is better to do Monument Valley area

Old 01-08-2018, 03:35 AM

183 posts, read 240,614 times
Default Alternatives To Nogales

Nogales? Gross! Well,let me share with you how I spent my 2015 Christmas Eve: I did the I-19 from Tucson... Not only us it closer and more easily-accessible than done if the places folks have mentioned so far, but not only can you see 2-3 Authentic Spanish missions, but you can visit the Titan Missile and do the tour, and if you save time, visit Baboquivari Peak for the astronomical observatory and the sweeping views of the forested desert mountains...visiting Ajo and Tumacàcori is good for the soul. It was a priceless experience that I would readily do all over again.
The 19 goes all the way down to the border, so you can put to see 'la frontera' if you want to !

Old 01-09-2018, 02:11 AM

40 posts, read 53,296 times
Sedona is a ripoff tourist trap for pretentious Midwesterners, with credit cards burning a hole in their pockets. I send people there, who don't know how to enjoy themselves.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 AM

4,235 posts, read 13,997,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
visit Baboquivari Peak for the astronomical observatory and the sweeping views of the forested desert mountains
it's Kitt Peak for the observatories......

gee, with all these helpful replies, I hope the OP will report back, at least......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona