Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM

90 posts, read 85,340 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

Somewhat long time reader, first post. I've been reading a bunch of posts on different places, but am still uncertain of places to put on my short list. I am interested in an eventual relocation to the Southwest, but am struggling with my choices. I think I am mostly interested in the subject states/areas:
Northern Arizona
Utah
Nevada near Arizona/Utah border
Norther New Mexico

I've been to Utah a few times, Arizona a couple of times, Nevada a number of times but not recently. I've only been in New Mexico once (and then only on a train ride), so I'd count that as minimal. In terms of my trips, I really love the mountainous southwest with its incredible beauty.

Hopefully I can give some background on my interests and what I like/don't like, and perhaps get some insights from the group. I'm male, sixty, and in good shape and keep active with some sort of exercise just about every day. I love outdoor activities, particularly running, hiking, and skiing (both down hill and cross country). I currently live in upstate NY, and while I like the outdoor aspects I don't like the political climate here, nor do I like the taxes. While I like winter sports, I would like a milder/warmer climate with more summer months and less winter. I am not opposed to driving a couple hours if necessary for decent snow.

In terms of politics, I would call myself a conservative libertarian. That is, I believe in individualism and am generally opposed to giving 'the state' more and more power over our lives. On the other hand, I could care less what people want to do with others or themselves, as long as it doesn't violate the constitutional rights of others. I'm not trying to start a political discussion here, rather to give some insight into myself. I am also a big supporter of the bill of rights, including the 2nd Amendment. (This is one of the reasons I don't want to remain in NY.) This is a reason why Colorado isn't near the top of my potential list, because of the direction the state has taken in terms of their elected officials in general and specifically in restrictions on 2A rights. (I am not opposed to the changes in terms of cannabis - except for the draw it has had in terms of people wanting the state to do everything for them.) I guess to summarize I would be happier in an more liberal/moderate area in a conservative state than the other way around (which is my current situation).

I am not currently retired, but for the purposes of this discussion (and the move) would be retired. I have adequate wealth and income to live in most areas, so being able to get a job is not an issue. (I currently work full teaching at the college level as a second career. Possibly teaching part-time as an adjunct for fun would be a minor plus.)

While I am in good health today, I am aware of the inevitable path in terms of what I can expect to be able to do 5, 10, and hopefully for quite a few years after that. That's a way of saying that access to health care should be a consideration, but currently I don't need to be near any sort of specialty.

Suggestions on places to put on the short list? I am hoping to make a trip this summer to check out a couple places.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 AM

110 posts, read 120,029 times
I would go with Utah or Northern AZ. You might like Northern AZ a bit better than Utah, politically. Have you looked into the area around Pinetop-Lakeside? There are some really nice areas in there, in particular the Pinetop area.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,119,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
I would go with Utah or Northern AZ. You might like Northern AZ a bit better than Utah, politically. Have you looked into the area around Pinetop-Lakeside? There are some really nice areas in there, in particular the Pinetop area.
My name is teddyearp and I approve this message.

Just remember that overall, Arizona is a terrible place.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
My name is teddyearp and I approve this message.

Just remember that overall, Arizona is a terrible place.
That's ok, I enjoy terrible places.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Never heard of it. I have been to Phoenix (eons ago) and Flagstaff (two summers ago). Phoenix is in the too big and too hot category. I will check it out and perhaps add it to the list of places to visit this summer. It looks like it is up there in altitude (6800') and lots of sunny days. Looks like the closest downhill skiing is Sunrise Park?

Why do you consider AZ better than UT politically? (Just curious.) I've had ski trips to SLC area (Snowbird etc) and stayed in Sandy and found it to be pretty nice, but obviously that isn't living there. I've also traveled around on vacation in Southern Utah (mostly the parks) but have been through Cedar Breaks and St George a couple times (and stayed in Kanab once).

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2018, 01:04 PM

4,056 posts, read 5,196,180 times
Politically...you probably won't want to look at Flagstaff...it tends to lean left quite a bit and has a chance to get lots of snow BUT they have fantastic health care and you may be able to get a teaching gig at NAU.

Pinetop-Lakeside/Payson/Show Low areas are beautiful, has mild weather, tends to be Conservative but the only education jobs would either be in the Public School systems or Community Colleges.

Prescott...a little warmer to equal to Payson area, good health care, the population tends to skew towards older residents, Embry-Riddle has a campus here. Cottonwood may be worth a look around this area.

There are the River cities...I am sure people will chime in on Kingman and others.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:08 PM

114 posts, read 205,596 times
Work permitted me to travel all over AZ, FL, CA and made several trips to NM and UT. When it came to buying a 2nd home, FL was out because it is flat, boring and flat so if you enjoy hiking,cycling,backpacking...uck. Central FL has a giant sand dune running down the middle so some decent climbing there but way too limited. CA is fantastic, great cycling and hiking opportunities and have friends who bought or rent around Encinitas but I hate the politics there and so expensive so that was out. I love southern UT but for me, winters about 10 degrees cooler than southern AZ. Otherwise, can't go wrong there for outdoor active people (I will be 60 in a few months too). I like the heat so....Phoenix too large and too crowded and settled on Oro Valley, northwest of Tucson. Surrounded by mountain ranges and virtually unlimited hiking/backpacking opportunities. It is cycling nirvana and many pros/top amateurs winter there who can't afford SoCal (you did not list cycling but as you age, the low impact of the sport may draw you in). Plus, I am 90 minutes from the east end of Phoenix where there is Superstition Wilderness and all it has to offer. Mount Lemmon around the corner so at the top it is 25 degrees cooler than at the base and they ski up there part of the winter. Riding a bike that 26 miles to the town of Summerhaven, then on up to Ski Valley and finally to the observatory is a heck of a workout. NM, beautiful but did not "grab" me like AZ. Good luck! Probably can't go wrong with UT or AZ. For me, northern AZ way too cold in the winter although I go to the Canyon frequently.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyChoices View Post
Hello all -

Somewhat long time reader, first post. I've been reading a bunch of posts on different places, but am still uncertain of places to put on my short list. I am interested in an eventual relocation to the Southwest, but am struggling with my choices. I think I am mostly interested in the subject states/areas:
Northern Arizona
Utah
Nevada near Arizona/Utah border
Norther New Mexico

I've been to Utah a few times, Arizona a couple of times, Nevada a number of times but not recently. I've only been in New Mexico once (and then only on a train ride), so I'd count that as minimal. In terms of my trips, I really love the mountainous southwest with its incredible beauty.

Hopefully I can give some background on my interests and what I like/don't like, and perhaps get some insights from the group. I'm male, sixty, and in good shape and keep active with some sort of exercise just about every day. I love outdoor activities, particularly running, hiking, and skiing (both down hill and cross country). I currently live in upstate NY, and while I like the outdoor aspects I don't like the political climate here, nor do I like the taxes. While I like winter sports, I would like a milder/warmer climate with more summer months and less winter. I am not opposed to driving a couple hours if necessary for decent snow.

In terms of politics, I would call myself a conservative libertarian. That is, I believe in individualism and am generally opposed to giving 'the state' more and more power over our lives. On the other hand, I could care less what people want to do with others or themselves, as long as it doesn't violate the constitutional rights of others. I'm not trying to start a political discussion here, rather to give some insight into myself. I am also a big supporter of the bill of rights, including the 2nd Amendment. (This is one of the reasons I don't want to remain in NY.) This is a reason why Colorado isn't near the top of my potential list, because of the direction the state has taken in terms of their elected officials in general and specifically in restrictions on 2A rights. (I am not opposed to the changes in terms of cannabis - except for the draw it has had in terms of people wanting the state to do everything for them.) I guess to summarize I would be happier in an more liberal/moderate area in a conservative state than the other way around (which is my current situation).

I am not currently retired, but for the purposes of this discussion (and the move) would be retired. I have adequate wealth and income to live in most areas, so being able to get a job is not an issue. (I currently work full teaching at the college level as a second career. Possibly teaching part-time as an adjunct for fun would be a minor plus.)

While I am in good health today, I am aware of the inevitable path in terms of what I can expect to be able to do 5, 10, and hopefully for quite a few years after that. That's a way of saying that access to health care should be a consideration, but currently I don't need to be near any sort of specialty.

Suggestions on places to put on the short list? I am hoping to make a trip this summer to check out a couple places.

Thanks!
Politicaly because you siad that you would want to be in liberal/moderate area in a conservative state. Flagstaff is kinda like that in my opinion. St. George Utah might be worth looking into. Although I personally didn't really like it over there. I like Pinetop and Prescott, like some people mentioned better than St. George. When I was in Utah I stayed in South Jordan. Absolutely loved the place. The area I stayed at was newer too and it had a really good frozen custard/ diner place. I can't remember what it was called, oh well. The thing that I like about all of the states that you've picked is that they are all on the up ( except NM) you really can't go wrong. Anyway, just my thoughts, I hope you get to check out Pinetop, I really like it over there.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,050,133 times
I can't speak for the other states but would give Utah a pass unless you're LDS. That place is as close to a theocracy as you'll see in the USA.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I can't speak for the other states but would give Utah a pass unless you're LDS. That place is as close to a theocracy as you'll see in the USA.
Someone has issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona