Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,440 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I will be moving to Arizona in the next month or 2 and would like some advice on this important topic.

About me:

- 29 years old
- Single male
- Introverted for the most part (don't like bars or clubs)
- No ties to the area (or ties anywhere for that matter)
- Looking for something serious with a girl
- Republican

I am currently interviewing in both Phoenix and Tucson. The best offer that I have so far is a stable government job in Tucson. I am also interviewing in Phoenix, but I have not been extremely impressed with my options.

I've read that Tucson does not have a great singles scene and is mostly liberal. There is less to do, but the scenery is nicer. Phoenix is more conservative and has a lot of singles to choose from.

Also, I'm currently inactive military so I will have access to bases in the area (Luke in Phoenix and Davis-Monthan in Tucson) so I guess I could meet women in these areas as well.

In my situation, would you recommend Phoenix area or Tucson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
I'd take the job in Tucson, rent, and play it out. I couldn't do Tucson forever but the 5 or so years I was down there were some of the happiest years of my life. Phoenix will always be here, Tucson is its own little world, if you love it(like I do) you'll do your best to stick around. If one day you realize money is a serious object you'll leave and go for Phoenix (like I've had to). It's not hard to move from Tucson to Phoenix, but once you're in Phoenix you forget Tucson is even there. Tucson lives in a shadow and its economy is terrible. Phoenix has what I consider to be slightly warmer than lukewarm of an economy.

Tucson has singles, it has the flagship university for the state, you'll be fine with that. It has a nice urban area that is real and down to earth along 4th/Congress. Tucson is liberal and run by Democrats, but it's not oppressive, it's a hands off government that the residents like to vote against (yet reelect) so I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'd take the job in Tucson, rent, and play it out. I couldn't do Tucson forever but the 5 or so years I was down there were some of the happiest years of my life. Phoenix will always be here, Tucson is its own little world, if you love it(like I do) you'll do your best to stick around. If one day you realize money is a serious object you'll leave and go for Phoenix (like I've had to). It's not hard to move from Tucson to Phoenix, but once you're in Phoenix you forget Tucson is even there. Tucson lives in a shadow and its economy is terrible. Phoenix has what I consider to be slightly warmer than lukewarm of an economy.

Tucson has singles, it has the flagship university for the state, you'll be fine with that. It has a nice urban area that is real and down to earth along 4th/Congress. Tucson is liberal and run by Democrats, but it's not oppressive, it's a hands off government that the residents like to vote against (yet reelect) so I wouldn't worry too much.
I tried to rep you for this, but I guess I've repped you too many times already.

Great post! Thanks a lot!

Old 05-10-2016, 01:32 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Tucson is moderate, huge Air Force base along with other defense industries help balance the academia and government liberal influence from being overwhelming, lol.

As a young (few years younger than you), single woman living in Tucson, let me tell you something... Tucson has a lot more women than they do men. If you're looking for a career-oriented young single woman it will be hard to find it in either city. Phoenix will be easier because of a better economy but with a higher male population and more transients it may still be difficult. But singles here (in both cities, Arizona in general) are pretty wrapped up in the bar scene. Tucson has no clubs, Phoenix has quite a bit of those. I think if you're more into not drinking or nightlife Tucson will be easier for a social life. Phoenix revolves around bars for young people.

You'll find that in both cities there is a high level of transience, with most the young folk being in U of A or ASU and planning to leave once they graduate. Arizona's economy sort of forces them to do that, anyway. Tucson I feel like is less transient in a way, people here tend to enjoy a slow-paced life and seem comfortable with how life works down here. Most people I know who lived in Tucson for some time didn't want to leave, but the economy made them. I can't say the same for Phoenix.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Personally, Akonyo . . . after almost 20 years, I would definitely pick Tucson.

Phoenix is just too big, too many freeways, too many miles to drive and, above all, too hot.

Good Luck and Welcome to Tucson is you decide to "chance it".

Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 AM

114 posts, read 204,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Hey all.

I will be moving to Arizona in the next month or 2 and would like some advice on this important topic.

About me:

- 29 years old
- Single male
- Introverted for the most part (don't like bars or clubs)
- No ties to the area (or ties anywhere for that matter)
- Looking for something serious with a girl
- Republican

I am currently interviewing in both Phoenix and Tucson. The best offer that I have so far is a stable government job in Tucson. I am also interviewing in Phoenix, but I have not been extremely impressed with my options.

I've read that Tucson does not have a great singles scene and is mostly liberal. There is less to do, but the scenery is nicer. Phoenix is more conservative and has a lot of singles to choose from.

Also, I'm currently inactive military so I will have access to bases in the area (Luke in Phoenix and Davis-Monthan in Tucson) so I guess I could meet women in these areas as well.

In my situation, would you recommend Phoenix area or Tucson?
Google "Meet-up" and you will find a variety of groups that share your interests. If you enjoy hiking, there are lots of attractive single women who enjoy hiking with groups for safety. Same with cycling, wine tasting, single groups, etc.. I would think it would be a great way to meet someone. I much prefer the Tucson area (Oro Valley actually) over Phoenix due to the beauty of the surrounding mountains with hiking/cycling opportunities. There are lots of current and former military who share your (and mine) political views. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Tucson is moderate, huge Air Force base along with other defense industries help balance the academia and government liberal influence from being overwhelming, lol.

As a young (few years younger than you), single woman living in Tucson, let me tell you something... Tucson has a lot more women than they do men. If you're looking for a career-oriented young single woman it will be hard to find it in either city. Phoenix will be easier because of a better economy but with a higher male population and more transients it may still be difficult. But singles here (in both cities, Arizona in general) are pretty wrapped up in the bar scene. Tucson has no clubs, Phoenix has quite a bit of those. I think if you're more into not drinking or nightlife Tucson will be easier for a social life. Phoenix revolves around bars for young people.

You'll find that in both cities there is a high level of transience, with most the young folk being in U of A or ASU and planning to leave once they graduate. Arizona's economy sort of forces them to do that, anyway. Tucson I feel like is less transient in a way, people here tend to enjoy a slow-paced life and seem comfortable with how life works down here. Most people I know who lived in Tucson for some time didn't want to leave, but the economy made them. I can't say the same for Phoenix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Personally, Akonyo . . . after almost 20 years, I would definitely pick Tucson.

Phoenix is just too big, too many freeways, too many miles to drive and, above all, too hot.

Good Luck and Welcome to Tucson is you decide to "chance it".
Thank you both for the advice. Great responses!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofmisery View Post
Google "Meet-up" and you will find a variety of groups that share your interests. If you enjoy hiking, there are lots of attractive single women who enjoy hiking with groups for safety. Same with cycling, wine tasting, single groups, etc.. I would think it would be a great way to meet someone. I much prefer the Tucson area (Oro Valley actually) over Phoenix due to the beauty of the surrounding mountains with hiking/cycling opportunities. There are lots of current and former military who share your (and mine) political views. Good luck.
The Tucson area is a very beautiful place, and I have many like-minded friends there who are military, police, Border Patrol, fellow cowboys/cowgirls/ranchers & church groups which share conservative principles. Best wishes to you!

Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,887 times
What is like-minded? Racist? Serious question. in this context as I'm considering a move to Tucson.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Beach to Tucson View Post
What is like-minded? Racist? Serious question. in this context as I'm considering a move to Tucson.
Really? Conservative = Racist? Please step back, take a moment and rethink that attitude you've taken within just three posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona