Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 02:04 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times

Advertisements

'Just seeking an opinion, and a little information.

We will soon be on a 2-week road trip in Arizona, and my husband wants to see one of these two observatories.

* Of these two establishments, which drive to the peak is less nerve-wracking? I know that is a bizarre question but I often don't do well in climbing drives, especially when they're winding and have too many
drop-offs. I think I am more interested in Kitts, although we may tour the Sabino Mts area.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 AM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
The University of Arizona's Mount Lemmon Sky Center is good. Especially in June, when we went -- when it's 100 F in the desert and 52 F at the Sky Center by the end of the evening. You'll need jackets. The view is terrific; it overlooks the city in three directions; and you get to see the sunset from there, in addition to the dome and telescope experience. They have various scientists leading the public programs; but we lucked out and got Adam Block, who has had 50+ NASA Astronomy Photos of the Day, which he produces with the same telescope in the public program. We have done both, but Kitt Peak is a long trip; and Mount Lemmon only takes an hour to get to, which is a beautiful drive -- plus you only invest a late afternoon and evening. And you get supper with the program. Probably Mount Lemmon fits your bill better and still gives you the experience. We would definitely do it again.

Welcome to SkyCenter | SkyCenter

Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 AM

P.S. You could also take in the U of Arizona Mirror Lab tour on campus, which is a unique experience. As of last November they were working on their fifth mirror casting of seven for the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile.

https://mirrorlab.arizona.edu/

Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
They are both windy with drop-offs. Kitt Peak is worse, but what a view!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:19 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Thank you both for your input. It helps a lot.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Check back if you go to either one; would be interested to hear!

Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
'Just seeking an opinion, and a little information.

We will soon be on a 2-week road trip in Arizona, and my husband wants to see one of these two observatories.

* Of these two establishments, which drive to the peak is less nerve-wracking? I know that is a bizarre question but I often don't do well in climbing drives, especially when they're winding and have too many
drop-offs. I think I am more interested in Kitts, although we may tour the Sabino Mts area.

Thanks for your help.
Are you talking about a daytime visit to the facilities or an evening star show?

For a daytime visit Kitt Peak is MUCH more impressive, with roughly 30 big telescopes.

Keep in mind too that Mt Graham offers daytime tours from mid-May through October (though you need to make your reservations in advance - 2 weeks I think). The Large Binocular scope on Mt Graham absolutely dwarfs anything on either Mt Lemmon or Kitt Peak and stands in a cavernous building nearly 15 stories tall. The tour also includes transportation up the mountain, lunch, and a visit to the radio telescope up there and the Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope at the top as well. It IS however a REALLY high climb driving up with many, many, many turns and no guardrails - breathtaking but probably too scary for you. The view from 10,500 feet though is astonishing.

Mount Graham International Observatory | An Astrophysical Research Site

Ken

Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Yes to the above - when we lived in Willcox, AZ, we drove over there in our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with Rally Red paint one beautiful, sunny SE Arizona day. We didn't visit the telescope location, but, as LordBalfor states above, it is really high up! There is a mountaintop lake to enjoy and plenty of pine trees - we felt like we were back home in the Pacific Northwest again up there. Absolutely beautiful, and, ya know, Alamogordo isn't that far from there that we wouldn't come back one day to visit Mt.Graham again. Definitely worth the visit over there.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:14 PM

499 posts, read 470,686 times
If your interest in more focused on astronomy, Kitt Peak is the better choice. Mt. Lemmon is better to enjoy the views and experience the sky island geography. The road up to Mt. Lemmon (which is just a few minutes from where I live) is about 28 miles up a winding road. Kitt Peak is 52 miles from central Tucson and likely has the same winding road to the top. I've been up to "the Lemmon" many times but haven't been out to Kitt Peak. It is a ways from Tucson so the trip would take up most of the day. Mt Lemmon could be a 1/2 day or less.

Sabino Canyon is well worth the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona