Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,705,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Check your state laws. It's likely there's a state constitutional provision or law giving legislators immunity during legislative sessions. These laws were typically passed long ago and they evolved from British law for the following reasons:

Legislative speech and debate immunity grew out of centuries of struggle between the English parliament and throne. During the 16th and 17th centuries, some English monarchs sought to intimidate legislators--especially those not sympathetic to the Crown's viewpoints--through legal action. The adoption of the English Bill of Rights in 1689 sharply limited this practice by granting immunity to members against civil or criminal action stemming from the performance of their legislative duties. It provided that “the Freedom of Speech, and Debates or Proceedings in Parliament, ought not to be impeached or questioned in any Court or Place out of Parliament.”

In America, the constitutions of 43 states provide legislators with a fundamental protection of free speech and debate. This immunity protects legislators from punitive executive or judicial action. The intent is to allow lawmakers to work independently and unimpeded by the threat of intervention from the other branches of government in the discharge of their legislative duties.
Court decisions interpreting the extent of protection afforded by legislative immunity vary. The interpretations have centered on a definition of “legitimate legislative activity.” Such activities extend beyond floor debate and include the act of voting and views expressed in committee deliberations.

The framers of the U.S. Constitution recognized the fundamental necessity of protecting members of Congress from arbitrary arrest. While U.S. Constitution Article I, section 6 placed some restrictions on the police or justice to arrest or detain legislators during a legislative session, its protections did not apply to situations involving "treason, felony or breach of the peace." Most state constitutions contain similar provisions.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/about-s...-immunity.aspx
The Arizona constitution defines legislative immunity as follows: "Members of the legislature shall be privileged from arrest in all cases except treason, felony, and breach of the peace, and they shall not be subject to any civil process during the session of the legislature, nor for fifteen days next before the commencement of each session."

Felony reckless endangerment could be argued. Either way, he should have absolutely been cited and left it to the court to sort out. And regardless of the legality or lack thereof, he simply shouldn't be going that fast nor bragging about it like a DB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 AM

9,493 posts, read 11,258,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The Arizona constitution defines legislative immunity as follows: "Members of the legislature shall be privileged from arrest in all cases except treason, felony, and breach of the peace, and they shall not be subject to any civil process during the session of the legislature, nor for fifteen days next before the commencement of each session."

Felony reckless endangerment could be argued. Either way, he should have absolutely been cited and left it to the court to sort out. And regardless of the legality or lack thereof, he simply shouldn't be going that fast nor bragging about it like a DB.
True.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,721,509 times
The fact remains that doing 100 MPH and above endangers other driver's on the road.
First of all they are not expecting this type of speed and may pull out to pass.
But mostly, if anything happens to his car, like a blowout or he hits road debris he may well crash into traffic going either way at his high speed killing innocent people.
I could care less what the law (that they passed to protect themselves) says.
It's bull****.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:45 PM

3,613 posts, read 7,963,742 times
For sure he doesn't have immunity from (1) being considered a self-important idiot and (2) being voted out of office (if he doesn't get censured or required to resign first).

Old 07-20-2018, 04:02 PM

2,927 posts, read 3,115,728 times
Quote:
<snip> And regardless of the legality or lack thereof, he simply shouldn't be going that fast nor bragging about it like a DB.
[off topic]I'm sorry, I just have to chuckle at the irony of this opinion of yours. I've read some of your posts about how you drive. And how you've defended it and even bragged about it.[/off topic]

Old 07-21-2018, 09:06 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,189,267 times
Sounds like we may need to amend the AZ State Constitution...Or at least make any offense able to be held until Legislature is out of session:

Gov. Ducey: 'No one is above the law,' signs executive order abo - Arizona's Family

Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,705,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
[off topic]I'm sorry, I just have to chuckle at the irony of this opinion of yours. I've read some of your posts about how you drive. And how you've defended it and even bragged about it.[/off topic]
You're right, it's off-topic and also irrelevant. Show me a post where I've bragged about cruising at over 100 mph. I'll wait. You'll find there's no comedy nor irony there, no matter how hard you reach.

This guy was bragging about cruising at up to 140. That's downright idiotic. What's your point, Ted?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,895,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
The fact remains that doing 100 MPH and above endangers other driver's on the road.
Oh piffle. It's easy to get 90+ on I-8 between Yuma and when it connects to the 10. There's no-one out there! Most of the time I'm doing 85 or more and still there are people blowing past me, and we're somehow managing not to careen into each other. On most of the highways outside the two major cities in the state, the vast majority of the time the roads are empty. I am not going to putter along at whatever some government desk jockey thinks I should be driving! I am so not worked up about that legislator, because we all speed out there on the lonely highways. (Well, except for that yutz who's driving his travel trailer 20 below the limit... HE's the one who needs to be hauled off the road!)

Old 07-21-2018, 01:23 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Oh piffle. It's easy to get 90+ on I-8 between Yuma and when it connects to the 10. There's no-one out there! Most of the time I'm doing 85 or more and still there are people blowing past me, and we're somehow managing not to careen into each other. On most of the highways outside the two major cities in the state, the vast majority of the time the roads are empty. I am not going to putter along at whatever some government desk jockey thinks I should be driving! I am so not worked up about that legislator, because we all speed out there on the lonely highways. (Well, except for that yutz who's driving his travel trailer 20 below the limit... HE's the one who needs to be hauled off the road!)
Agree 100% about how easy it is to speed on the open highways, but if you're driving over 90 MPH, you're naturally going to be an easier target for the cops to pull you over. Unfortunately, the bozo driving under the speed limit, or moving slow in the left lane & holding up the traffic flow is rarely ever stopped & cited.

Anyway, this is all beside the point. Rep. Mosley thinks he should have been immune from citation or prosecution just because he's in the Legislature. Worst of all, he brags about how he frequently drives over 100 MPH and gets by with it. In addition, he has been known to push his religion and meddle into people's personal lives while on the job. Not only is he extremely arrogant, but his actions are nothing but abuse of power, plain & simple!

Old 07-22-2018, 02:54 PM

2,927 posts, read 3,115,728 times
Quote:
You're right, it's off-topic and also irrelevant. Show me a post where I've bragged about cruising at over 100 mph. I'll wait. You'll find there's no comedy nor irony there, no matter how hard you reach.
I never said you bragged about nor even mentioned driving over 100 mph. Those are your words, not mine. So your wait will be a very long one. I'm thinking about a thread from probably two or more years ago. You talked about your aggressive driving in it. Lane changes maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona