Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Unless your parents had you at 45 and you had a baby at 40 I doubt your parents are elderly.
Actually, believe it or not my parents had me around 50 approximately. Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 03:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,276,916 times
Stay in OR. The business you have will help you buy the house in OR so that takes care of that. The other issue is weather but weather is not more important than spending time with your parents and the piece of mind you have by being nearer to them. Besides, OR summers are pretty dry and sunny so it's not like there is gloom all year.

I used to live in AZ and after awhile, the endless sunny days and brown landscape got depressing too.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,307,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEinAz View Post
I say stay there for your parents and to buy that business. In five to seven years, your business will be worth more money and it will be yours. Your daughter will know her grandparents and will have spent quality time with them. Re-evaluate your situation at the end of five years. It’ll go very quickly, I promise.
I agree. Financially and family wise it makes sense to stay. Take vacations.....I would have trouble adjusting too. But, the reason Oregon is so green and beautiful is because it is so wet and overcast.....

Old 07-28-2018, 01:26 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,400,920 times
What I find interesting is that this thread was posted on both the Arizona and Oregon forums and the feedback is different. Oregonians saying definitely go back to Arizona and Arizona resident replies slanted towards staying or at least giving the decision more careful consideration. But since you are not allowed to post the same thread twice, the Oregon thread was closed. I find that unfortunate since the advice was conflicting and it is best to get both perspectives.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:37 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,895,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
What I find interesting is that this thread was posted on both the Arizona and Oregon forums and the feedback is different. Oregonians saying definitely go back to Arizona and Arizona resident replies slanted towards staying or at least giving the decision more careful consideration. But since you are not allowed to post the same thread twice, the Oregon thread was closed. I find that unfortunate since the advice was conflicting and it is best to get both perspectives.
As a native Oregonian who spent my first 35 years there, I can say that the Oregonian position to go back to Arizona is entirely consistent with their decades-held position (dating back at least to the Tom McCall era in the 70s) that folks are entirely welcome to visit Oregon but then get the heck out and leave Oregon to the Oregonians. Sadly, it was a battle they lost when wave after wave of Californians moved north and over-ran the state.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,364 times
Your parents are elderly, You don't like to fly and your child is the only Grandchild that lives in Oregon. Stay in Oregon. Let your child create memories while they are still alive. That is my personal opinion. Life is so short. Make the memories. wish you all the best.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM

40 posts, read 103,386 times
Hi! I'd like to chime in on this topic, only. I'm in California so I can't speak for much else.

1. My parents live here and are elderly and not in the greatest health.

I'm currently taking care of my parents who live 1.5-2 hours away (LA traffic) but I wish I could do more. As they age, it is getting harder and harder to help from even this short distance. I wish I could attend doctors' appts with my parents because they are getting so forgetful and don't remember what the doctor said and may not be asking all the right questions. They need help with getting their cars fixed or even putting gas in the cars. Then there are dentist appts, physical therapy, church, etc. The list goes on and on. (I work full time so weekends are my only opportunity to help.) My brother and I also pay all their bills and check on what comes in the mail. I cannot imagine doing that long distance.

My point is that your elderly parents are going to need more care as they age. They may be okay now but what about five or 10 years from now?

Please keep that in mind while you make your decision. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona