Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:26 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,202,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It's great up to about 108-112 degrees!
Payson is 94 today...Flag is 84...the whole state isn't above 100F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 01:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 8,578,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Payson is 94 today...Flag is 84...the whole state isn't above 100F.
Right. But gotta get there from here! Wherever here and there are.

So if you can stay and ride in the upper half of the state, you should be good.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 PM

50 posts, read 43,074 times
Problem with payson and flagstaff would be the winters.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,202,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide72 View Post
Problem with payson and flagstaff would be the winters.
Flagstaff yes...it is actually one of the snowiest climates in the US. Payson...not so much. If it snows there it is usually gone within a day. As a trucker, I would look at Prescott, Camp Verde...somewhere a bit more temperate so that when you are off the road you can relax. Of course you are young so you may want to be where the "action" is...so Phoenix may be the best choice...and 8 months out of the year the weather is awesome so there is that. Maybe just schedule some long hauls from June-September

Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM

31 posts, read 24,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
When you say moved to the mountain, are you still in Arizona somewhere?

SW Colorado, LaPlata Mts. now looking to move to Maine.

What part of Maine would you move to? Why move to Maine (Northeast area) at all? I am curious what it is you don't like on this side of the country. Or is it that you have work there?

I live outside of Phoenix and am looking to move to a place for retirement that isn't as HOT or ISOLATED. I like the idea of Prescott or Flagstaff, but I fear the water shortages and isolation of those places. Flagstaff is also very expensive, so I don't think I'd end up there. Prescott looked perfect to me but then I wonder how long it will be before we run out of water.

Anyone know the true answer about water in this state (AZ)?

So my choices thus far are:

ARIZONA:
Prescott
Flagstaff
Cottonwood
Show Low
Payson

UTAH: (Is UT a state that will run out of water?) Not as retirement friendly for taxes, I hear.
Draper

I am also checking out OR and WA but find them to be too expensive or crowded areas, and tax-wise, not as friendly as AZ.

IDAHO: What's it like for retirees? Expensive? Too cold? What about water?
Boise
Bend

MONTANA: I heard it is tax-friendly compared to ID, OR and WA. Cold winters, which I don't like, but what about the lake regions? Any good areas?

I am at a loss as to where to go from Phoenix. I love the amenities of a planned community. It's very convenient, but I miss the cooler days. I hate hardcore winters. I can't afford California. so that's out. I would go to northern CA but I hear their water shortages are crazier. I hate humid Florida. I know FL is a good place to retire and is lower in taxes, but humidity is off the charts. I prefer dry heat if I have to be in it.

I have been researching to death this subject and I still haven't come up with a place where I can retire that will be cooler in the summer, low humidity, have a nice community with shops, restaurants, amenities. Can someone tell me of such a place that is reasonable?

Thanks in advance for answers from anyone.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,371,170 times
Check out the Texas forum. There are some interesting people there.

I found the Tyler forum especially interesting.

P.s. I doubt I will ever leave Arizona. It took me a long time of researching & I believe I found my sweet spot. But, I like to check out other areas just to make sure.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Maines a great place to live for scenery. But the winters are brutal

Old 08-03-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Check out the Texas forum. There are some interesting people there.

I found the Tyler forum especially interesting.

P.s. I doubt I will ever leave Arizona. It took me a long time of researching & I believe I found my sweet spot. But, I like to check out other areas just to make sure.
Can I ask where this sweet spot is and what it is that you like about it? Thanks

Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 AM

757 posts, read 845,879 times
You live in AZ for climate. If you like big water, then this ain't the place. If you like weather that pretty much allows 365 day outdoor activity, then AZ is your spot. Tucson is cooler than Phoenix but once you go into the 100s it pretty much doesn't matter. There is no helmet law in AZ and it seems around Tucson some poor cyclists (motor and bike) are being killed fairly routinely. No idea what makes Tucson so crazy with the drivers.

GA is congested anymore. Atlanta is hellish with traffic and with traffic speeding. I also think crime in Atlanta and GA generally exceeds AZ by a bunch just due to population differences. Could be wrong.

I moved from GA to AZ. But I am old. Young people can be far more flexible.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,005,295 times
Why not consider NM? Far more temperate climate than AZ, far less traffic, cheaper, and not as humid. That would be a no-brainer to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona