Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 AM

7,040 posts, read 6,291,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide72 View Post
Can I ask where this sweet spot is and what it is that you like about it? Thanks
Outside of Sierra Vista. I like the convenience, how easy it was to find a doctor, the weather - not as hot as parts of Arizona, wonderful winters & for me, the senior food program really cut down food cost.

Coming from Minnesota, the col is a lot lower. It will be interesting to see what my utility bill is for this past month because I've used the ac more but it's usually $24 or less.

Granted I am not a big shopper but I manage to save every month. I had a hard time with that in Minnesota. It might have been boredom. The scenery & the option of visiting other areas nearby keep me pretty content.

I haven't done it yet but the college offers so many interesting courses, it intrigues me. The people are friendly. People are pretty stand offish in Minnesota. I moved from the city to a small town & it took a long time to get to know people. Even though my mother had been born & raised in the area, I was suspect because I came from the city. Pretty wierd, if you ask me.

Maybe it's because it is a retirement area people are friendlier. Maybe people are friendlier because of the culture of live & let live. I don't know what it is,but I sure do like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:36 AM

50 posts, read 42,742 times
When I was in Arizona there was like 10% humidity, less would be rough

Old 08-05-2018, 01:23 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
actually, it isnt; when the humidity is that low, temps in the 95-105 range are actually pretty pleasant..

Old 08-05-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
actually, it isnt; when the humidity is that low, temps in the 95-105 range are actually pretty pleasant..
Agree low humidity is ideal... but their is such thing as too low

Old 08-06-2018, 08:03 PM

221 posts, read 192,742 times
Guess it boils down to daylight savings slime. GA yes- AZ no.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
If you have lived most of your life in New England, then moving to Georgia would be a much easier transition than moving to Arizona.

Similar to the New England states, Georgia as well as neighboring Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee are heavily forested states. Compared to New England, the flora of Georgia is distinct, but the character of the region is fairly similar due in large part to the hilly, wooded natural environment that is defined by narrow, winding roads and plentiful creeks, streams and other bodies of water. Also, Lake Lanier in exurban Atlanta is much more beautiful and glamorous than Lake Pleasant in exurban Phoenix.

Separately, housing lots are considerably larger and more wooded in Georgia relative to Arizona. As a result, suburban subdivisions in Georgia are lower-density and better blend with the natural environment of the region. Also, zero lot lines and shallow road frontage are uncommon in suburban Georgia, so homes are quieter and more private. It is uncommon that you will hear your neighbors flush their toilet in Georgia; however, that is a common occurrence in Arizona.

Finally, Georgia is home to many more native-born residents and long-time transplants from other states than Arizona, which is an extremely transient state like Florida and Nevada. If you moved to Arizona and lived there for 7-10 years, one-half to two-thirds of the people who live on your street will have moved away during that time period. An active poster on the Arizona forum, “goolsbyjazz,” moved from Massachusetts to Arizona in the late 1990’s, and all of the friends he made when he first moved to Arizona have now moved away. Although the Atlanta metropolitan area is now home to many transplants, you will meet many more Georgia natives and long-time residents throughout the state because of the following retention or "sticky" factors:
  • Georgia has a much longer history than Arizona, so communities are usually home to multi-generational families (some of whom arrived in the state as early as the 1730’s with James Oglethorpe).
  • Georgia’s climate and natural environment are less polarizing than a murderously hot, dry, barren desert.
  • The proximity to the “rest of the country” from Georgia is much better than from most Western states; this, of course, includes New England.
  • Atlanta’s economy is much larger and more diversified than Phoenix’s economy.
As someone who also grew up in New England and lived in Arizona for a while, I will tell you this much: You cannot build meaningful, mutually dependable lifelong friendships in a transient state. I cannot emphasize this factor enough, especially when you are living far away from your family.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the response!
"Similar to the New England states, Georgia as well as neighboring Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee are heavily forested states. Compared to New England, the flora of Georgia is distinct, but the character of the region is fairly similar due in large part to the hilly, wooded natural environment that is defined by narrow, winding roads and plentiful creeks, streams and other bodies of water. Also, Lake Lanier in exurban Atlanta is much more beautiful and glamorous than Lake Pleasant in exurban Phoenix."

Arizona seemed to have quite a bit of wooded areas depending on the location, and with it bordering Utah and Colorado I'm sure I could find that type of scenery fairly easily.. Im interested in new and different however.. And as a truck driver the narrow roads are something I'm trying to get away from.

"Separately, housing lots are considerably larger and more wooded in Georgia relative to Arizona. As a result, suburban subdivisions in Georgia are lower-density and better blend with the natural environment of the region. Also, zero lot lines and shallow road frontage are uncommon in suburban Georgia, so homes are quieter and more private. It is uncommon that you will hear your neighbors flush their toilet in Georgia; however, that is a common occurrence in Arizona."

My current line of work has me delivering building materials to residential.. New houses, neighborhoods are all becoming tighter and tighter space wise. So I'm inclined to believe those wooded areas separating houses, that most of us enjoy, are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately..

"Finally, Georgia is home to many more native-born residents and long-time transplants from other states than Arizona, which is an extremely transient state like Florida and Nevada. If you moved to Arizona and lived there for 7-10 years, one-half to two-thirds of the people who live on your street will have moved away during that time period. An active poster on the Arizona forum, “goolsbyjazz,” moved from Massachusetts to Arizona in the late 1990’s, and all of the friends he made when he first moved to Arizona have now moved away. Although the Atlanta metropolitan area is now home to many transplants, you will meet many more Georgia natives and long-time residents throughout the state because of the following retention or "sticky" factors:"

Honestly the longevity of other residents at this time isn't an issue.. Cycling in new people is ok! I could get there, not like it and move!
I see you live in Southern California, I've been many times, very beautiful! most of the people Ive met from the area, weren't actually from there.. and most seem to leave due to over population, high cost of living. So to me thats everywhere! Not a personal dig just an observation made When i was considering that area.

"Georgia’s climate and natural environment are less polarizing than a murderously hot, dry, barren desert."

I know that Arizona gets much hotter than Georgia, but the humidity and too much rain makes Georgia less appealing

"As someone who also grew up in New England and lived in Arizona for a while, I will tell you this much: You cannot build meaningful, mutually dependable lifelong friendships in a transient state."

Same as earlier.. Hearing this from someone currently in Southern California (unless thats wrong) is interesting, considering its, infact filled with coming and going transplants....

I do appreciate your response I think there are things I'm interested in, that maybe you weren't! but the input is definitely noted

Old 08-22-2018, 12:17 PM

782 posts, read 1,355,974 times
Throw my 2c in:

I recommend Georgia and I'm originally from the Bay Area, California where as an outdoorsman, I spent a lot of my time anywhere between the coastal redwood forests or in the Sierras.
I spent a little over 2 months in Grand Canyon back in the 80s and seen a little of flagstaff and surrounding areas. Arizona is beautiful but I really like Georgia.
I did live in the Midwest for about 6 yrs before moving to Atlanta back in '93 (yep, I've seen a several decades!)
I've lived outside of Savannah for nearly 10 yrs. I've spent nearly 25 yrs exploring Georgia and it is one beautiful state.
Everything from the southern end of the Appalachian range in North Georgia mountains to the rolling hills in the Piedmont area to the Georgia Coast and it's barrier islands. The Great Smoky Mountains, Disney/Orlando, Charleston SC, The Carribean and Gulf Coast are all nearby. I don't even notice the humidity or mosquitoes-honest and I'm probably a lot older than you. I love fishing, hiking, kayaking, camping, tubing, hunting all year long.
Also, I gave up motorcycles but there are lots of great places to ride. My older brother belongs to 3 or 4 motorcycle groups and goes all over the country with them. I find people in Georgia exceedingly gracious and friendly.
I probably shouldn't be talking Georgia up so much because, honestly, I don't want to many other outsiders coming here unless their willing to accept the culture and place as it is.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide72 View Post
Arizona seemed to have quite a bit of wooded areas depending on the location, and with it bordering Utah and Colorado I'm sure I could find that type of scenery fairly easily.. Im interested in new and different however.. And as a truck driver the narrow roads are something I'm trying to get away from.
In all honesty...yes we have forests...the largest contiguous Ponderosa Pine forest in the US...but the land before and after are brown. Lots and lots of brown. North of Flagstaff? More brown high desert/plains through the Hopi Reservation. Get north into Utah...you are a good 1-2 hours until you are into the trees again North of Kanab. East into Colorado? Brown until you get past Cortez or Durango. Alburquerque? Brown until you get past Santa Fe (if you are heading into CO). There is really nothing like the East Coast Forests out here unless you head to Northern CA/Oregon.

We do have big open spaces though.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:40 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Throw my 2c in:

I recommend Georgia and I'm originally from the Bay Area, California where as an outdoorsman, I spent a lot of my time anywhere between the coastal redwood forests or in the Sierras.
I spent a little over 2 months in Grand Canyon back in the 80s and seen a little of flagstaff and surrounding areas. Arizona is beautiful but I really like Georgia.
I did live in the Midwest for about 6 yrs before moving to Atlanta back in '93 (yep, I've seen a several decades!)
I've lived outside of Savannah for nearly 10 yrs. I've spent nearly 25 yrs exploring Georgia and it is one beautiful state.
Everything from the southern end of the Appalachian range in North Georgia mountains to the rolling hills in the Piedmont area to the Georgia Coast and it's barrier islands. The Great Smoky Mountains, Disney/Orlando, Charleston SC, The Carribean and Gulf Coast are all nearby. I don't even notice the humidity or mosquitoes-honest and I'm probably a lot older than you. I love fishing, hiking, kayaking, camping, tubing, hunting all year long.
Also, I gave up motorcycles but there are lots of great places to ride. My older brother belongs to 3 or 4 motorcycle groups and goes all over the country with them. I find people in Georgia exceedingly gracious and friendly.
I probably shouldn't be talking Georgia up so much because, honestly, I don't want to many other outsiders coming here unless their willing to accept the culture and place as it is.
I was reading some of the Georgia threads & didn't see where it has better col &, it seemed-but I could be mistaken or read the wrong threads but, it seemed folks didn't take kindly to newcomers.

Can you direct me to some threads that disprove that?

I totally get why people mistrust newcomers but honestly, since I have been here I haven't run into that attitude anywhere. Maybe because it is a retirement state. I don't know.

Minnesota is the same way. I moved to the town my mother had grown up in and there was a lot of distrust because I had lived in the city. Sure, they eventually thawed when they realized I was just a regular person but it was tough at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona