Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 PM

82 posts, read 111,687 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be driving from Albuquerque into Arizona to stay at Grand Canyon Village for a couple days, then driving up to Utah. We will be on I-40 and highway 89, mostly, with a jot onto SR-64. See map.

I'd like to know whether someone can give me some insight on what to expect, mainly:
  • How hard are cops on on speeders? Some states (e.g., Wisconsin) are harder on them while others (e.g., Michigan) don't care so much, so I'm wondering where Arizona falls on this spectrum? Can I comfortably exceed the speed limit, or do I really have to watch out?
  • How will cell reception be, in general? I have AT&T, and I do rely on Waze or Google to act as my guide. Where can I expect to lose coverage?
  • How few and far between are towns or stops as we're driving along?
  • Any sightseeing stops or detours we should consider especially as we drive through?
  • Anything else to keep in mind?
I appreciate the insights. Thank you!

Attachment 201644
Attached Thumbnails
Driving Through Arizona: Seeking Insight-arizona-portion.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
  • How hard are cops on on speeders? Some states (e.g., Wisconsin) are harder on them while others (e.g., Michigan) don't care so much, so I'm wondering where Arizona falls on this spectrum? Can I comfortably exceed the speed limit, or do I really have to watch out?
The speed limits on 89/ 64 are such that a sensible person would not exceed them. In my opinion. These are 2 lane roads. Use your headlights.

On I40 the speed limit is mostly 75. Probably up to 84 is very safe.
  • How will cell reception be, in general? I have AT&T, and I do rely on Waze or Google to act as my guide. Where can I expect to lose coverage?
Download your map to the phone. Most areas have cell reception.
  • How few and far between are towns or stops as we're driving along?
Towns and/or gas stations are infrequent on either road, it's easy to be 40 miles between services.
  • Any sightseeing stops or detours we should consider especially as we drive through?
Personally I like Petrified Forest NP.
  • Anything else to keep in mind?
Take some water. Don't play with the rattlesnakes.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:30 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Any time in a desert state, take LOTS of water.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:59 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Any time in a desert state, take LOTS of water.
Good Advice meo92953! I won't travel that area without a gallon per person.

OP, I have done this drive a lot, and twice in the last few months. Speeding on I40 should be okay as another poster said but it's your risk. There will be cops, it's a corridor where drugs are transported cross country (I always hear of the drug busts on the news).

There are hardly any places to eat except in Gallup or a gas station so be prepared.

Cell reception will probably be okay in some places (closer to cities) and crappy in others. Verizon is the best in this area by far. Don't expect radio stations all the way either - it's the middle of nowhere!

The thing I hate the most are the res dogs, many who have been hit by cars, or you see them running along side the road, very skinny

Old 08-29-2018, 06:42 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
Every town has a few good mom and pop restaurants. What is a real beautiful stretch, The old 66 from Seligman to kingman.
Very quiet, nice road with some real great views.
But the 40 is nice to in western AZ. Don't worry about gas stations, don't let the needle go below 3/4 and you wil be fine.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:53 AM

82 posts, read 111,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Good Advice meo92953! I won't travel that area without a gallon per person.

OP, I have done this drive a lot, and twice in the last few months. Speeding on I40 should be okay as another poster said but it's your risk. There will be cops, it's a corridor where drugs are transported cross country (I always hear of the drug busts on the news).

There are hardly any places to eat except in Gallup or a gas station so be prepared.

Cell reception will probably be okay in some places (closer to cities) and crappy in others. Verizon is the best in this area by far. Don't expect radio stations all the way either - it's the middle of nowhere!

The thing I hate the most are the res dogs, many who have been hit by cars, or you see them running along side the road, very skinny
My wife got a Verizon hot spot from work we can use, so that should help!

Plus we got Sirius XM in the car specifically because I knew we'd be beyond the reach of radio stations.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:07 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
One thing you might keep in mind is it seems like I-40 is always being worked on. And when it’s not, there can be accidents that back up traffic for miles.

Allow time for that. You can check ADOT on the web to see where the construction zones are.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:53 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
My wife got a Verizon hot spot from work we can use, so that should help!

Plus we got Sirius XM in the car specifically because I knew we'd be beyond the reach of radio stations.
I need to look into Sirius XM, was it expensive? I know very little about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona