Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 PM

52 posts, read 398,954 times

Advertisements

My husband got offered a job in Yuma. We have four young children. Is it really bad like I hear or is there anything positive. I know that the housing seems to be really high there, but how about education and the community in general? Is the crime really bad there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 23,919 times
I have lived in Yuma for 1 year now and I have nothing good to say about it. I moved here a year ago to take a job and I have regretted the move for the entire time. In fact, I will be moving away from here in August. If you want your children to get a well-rounded education please do not move here. If, however, you need your children to learn how to speak English, this is the place for you. The elementary schools in this area concentrate on teaching English - reading, writing, spelling, grammar. This is because the area is full of non-English speaking Mexicans (some legal, some not). There is also a few minutes of Math, however, there was nothing else, i.e., Science or History.
About the community, it is not very friendly. I moved here from Texas and I guess I expected people to be the same here, but they aren't. I don't know if it is the area culture, but the hispanic population here are very very rude people. My husband is hispanic and the hispanic people back home are nothing like these people. I don't know why there is such a bad attitude here.
Also, the community is growing. It is pretty crowded here and Yuma was not originally designed to accommodate such a large population. There is a Military base here so lots of people come in and out of the area. Also, it get very bad from about November to May. The increase in population is because the "snowbirds" (as they call them) flock into the area from the colder states and make driving here horrible. Most of the snowbirds are older people and their driving skills leave a lot to be desired. There are wrecks every few days and most involve the older adults.
The community does try to have events to entertain the public, but they are during the time when the snowbirds are here. The problem with that is everything is so crowded it's not much fun to attend the events. Way too many people even to go out to eat supper at a restaurant.
During the summer months (June - October) it is soooo hot here. I mean, I came from hot humid south Texas, but it is so hot here I can hardly breath. I get burned everytime I try to get into my car - everything is hot to touch.
The crime here is more than you would expect for a town this size. A lot of trouble is caused by illegals living in the community and coming across the border illegally. Border patrol is a constant sight here. The border crossing is only about 20 miles south of here. Drug busts are a common thing here.
Well there it is, I hope you were looking for an honest answer to your questions. I am being totally honest here and if you were my friend or family member I would strongly suggest you reconsider the move. But, to end the message on a good note, there is one good thing I can say about Yuma. Some evenings the sunsets here are beautiful. The sky is pink and blue and gray. Beautiful to look at. However, I hear that can be expected from any where in Arizona.
Good luck and I hope if you do move here, you are an extremely patient person who can easily turn the other cheek, and a stay home parent who wants to home school the children.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:17 AM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,462 times
blue you are so full of it.
hey camesquibel,If you ever come to yuma,I wouldnt mind giving you and your husband a tour of the place.
Its a great place Ive lived here for 2 years and most people who ive met here,wouldnt trade this place for any other.
My daughter has a great school(elementary) where she learns more than JUST ENGLISH like blue said.
She actually won a spelling award last month.
Crime here is no where near bigger cities like phoenix or tucson,neither is traffic.
Anyway,if you are interested in a tour,let me know.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 AM

Thank you MAB for the optimistic view of Yuma. Once we have all paperwork squared off and we know when we will go down on a house hunting trip I will definately keep you in mind for a tour!!! Thanks!!

Old 05-25-2006, 11:58 PM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camesquibel
Thank you MAB for the optimistic view of Yuma. Once we have all paperwork squared off and we know when we will go down on a house hunting trip I will definately keep you in mind for a tour!!! Thanks!!
my pleasure.
start deciding if you want to live in the city or in the county.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,241 times
Unhappy I Love Yuma

Two months ago my husband was offered an excellent job in Mesa Az . He's from Philly , and I have lived in yuma my whole life (34yrs). Since we left Yuma .2 months ago, I have came back to visit 5 times. All of my family is there, born and raised since any of us can remember. I miss yuma so much it HURTS. I love everything about it. When I have to go back to Mesa, I can't help but cry for at least a couple of hrs. I hate Mesa!! Well it's not bad at all, really , I should say I hate to leave Yuma. If you are given the chance to move to Yuma from anywhere, take it. It is, to me the most wonderful place in the world to me. It's what I will forever call my home.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Default elainagill

Thank you for your comments. It sounds like you are just a few years older than me.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,076 times
If the earth had a butt yuma would be a pimple on it.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:18 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornford
If the earth had a butt yuma would be a pimple on it.
I travel thru Yuma about every other month on my way to California. I park outside of a restaurant. When you come back to your car, you learn not to touch it any longer than to open the door. I swear, I burnt my hand there once!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:47 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,212 times
Bornford,

That's the horrible truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona