Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 08:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times

Advertisements

After having their suit to not count votes where signatures couldn't be fully verified before the end of election day shut down, the Republican Party is now suing to throw out any vote where the signature was "rehabbed" by calling the voter to verify.

This shouldn't stand a chance either. The ballot includes a contact number for this specific purpose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 08:52 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
“I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how;
but what is extraordinarily important is this — who will count the votes, and how.”

Old 11-08-2018, 09:24 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
All the theories about “extra scrutiny” being a legitimate reason for this taking days are garbage. Colorado runs nearly 100% mail in ballots and we have all of our votes counted on Election Day. Arizona just has a ****ty counting system that they need to modernize. There are plenty of states who deal with mail in ballots. There’s no excuse for making it take this long to count votes.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
What does Colorado run, 80% of votes received prior to election day?

Probably a bit easier to be done earlier when you get a higher percentage in earlier.

We have a lot of votes that get dropped off on election day

Old 11-08-2018, 11:06 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
What does Colorado run, 80% of votes received prior to election day?

Probably a bit easier to be done earlier when you get a higher percentage in earlier.

We have a lot of votes that get dropped off on election day
Not sure what the number is, but I am sure a ton get dropped off around Election Day. I’ll see if I can find any data.

Ever since we changed to this method I have been so much happier. I get an email telling me that my ballot has been mailed to me, then another when it has been accepted after I have returned it.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:10 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
All the theories about “extra scrutiny” being a legitimate reason for this taking days are garbage. Colorado runs nearly 100% mail in ballots and we have all of our votes counted on Election Day. Arizona just has a ****ty counting system that they need to modernize. There are plenty of states who deal with mail in ballots. There’s no excuse for making it take this long to count votes.
I agree 100%. The entire process is horribly outdated. In the age where practically everything is instant and electronic, there needs to be a much more updated, effective method of voting and tabulating the votes. I personally prefer to vote by mail, but even that is obsolete. Even so, I refuse to stand in a long line at the polls. If there could be some kind of interactive way to cast our ballots, I'd be all for it, so long as there are effective controls in place to prevent fraud.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I think this is a disgrace. The election is over. And they are still counting ballots. Why? Can't someone step up and give the bean counters some equipment or some help so this doesn't keep happening? We need to know voting results on the day of the election, not a week later. JMHO
Hard enough to find someone who can make change for a dollar. Our Schools turn out workers for SLAVEMART and McDs, nothing more

Old 11-10-2018, 08:06 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Does it matter?
If it's close history tells us that the loser will challenge the vote anyway.
I don't like the way various states count the stuff either.
You just are not sure that your vote really counts the way you intended it to.
While I did not care for either Hillary or Trump I still don't understand how she could win the vote with numbers and still lose the election.
But that's the way the system is set up by our states and politicians.
You want to change things, get involved with groups in your state that want to change how the electoral college votes are assigned. The College was established as a final checkpoint, to ensure that an unqualified person was not elected by popular vote. Obviously it failed spectacularly in 2016. Regardless, there is no law stating the votes have to be awarded as winner take all. Each state chooses how it will assign the EC votes. The smart states assign their EC votes based on % of win/popular votes. The other states are lazy and winner takes all.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not sure what the number is, but I am sure a ton get dropped off around Election Day. I’ll see if I can find any data.

Ever since we changed to this method I have been so much happier. I get an email telling me that my ballot has been mailed to me, then another when it has been accepted after I have returned it.
It appears Denver processes mail in ballots the same way Maricopa County does.

My guess is Colorado hasn't had any razor thin elections recently so voter's never notice any delay in calling a winner. Winners are easy to call when there is a big vote difference between candidates.

https://denverite.com/2018/10/31/her...ted-in-denver/

Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
I can see paper ballot be rife with corruption. I want to know who is watching the store? Here in Philly, you couldn't find a Republican if you had a search warrant. They can do anything they damn please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona