Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 12:16 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,366,689 times

Advertisements

Considering Milan and Cortina just won a joint bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics, could we potentially see a joint Phoenix-Flagstaff bid? Indoor sports could be played in the Phoenix area, while the outdoor sports that require snow can be played up in Flagstaff. Does anyone think this is a good idea?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
I'd like to think it could be possible, but one setback could be the lack of snow during many recent winters. This past winter was the first one in a long time where there was abundant snow. Even as much snow as Flagstaff receives on average, there are times during the winter months when the area has absolutely no snow on the ground, and there is even a lack of a decent snowpack at the Snow Bowl. That's the only thing I could see which might be a hindrance.

Regardless, ADOT had better get busy and widen/upgrade I17 north of Anthem. The traffic between Phoenix & Flagstaff is bad enough on summer weekends. Imagine what it would be like during a major global event like the Olympics!

Old 06-29-2019, 02:20 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,649,045 times
I doubt Flagstaff could handle the Olympics, it would overwhelm the area. It's already crowded during the summer with tourists, traffic and crowds, anymore would just shutdown the city and make it chaotic.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I doubt Flagstaff could handle the Olympics, it would overwhelm the area. It's already crowded during the summer with tourists, traffic and crowds, anymore would just shutdown the city and make it chaotic.
Why couldn't Flagstaff handle the Olympics? It's certainly no big city, but it's not exactly a tiny remote mountain town either. How did even smaller towns (Lake Placid, NY, Lillehammer, Norway, and Pyeongchang, South Korea) handle the tourists, traffic, and crowds when they hosted the Winter Olympics? They somehow managed, and it was a huge economic boom to all those places. Not to mention the positive spotlight they were put in with all the national & global attention.

My main concern would be the lack of snow, which has been an issue during the past few winters (with the exception of this past one). Not sure if climate change is playing a part, but northern AZ seems to be getting warmer temperatures and less snowpack overall. Unless it takes place during a winter with average to above average snowfall, there would have to be artificial snow in order for it to be successful.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,002,651 times
Doubt it would ever happen and I am happy for it. The Olympics are a scam. It's a loser for the local economy and taxpayers. I don't think the ego of your average Arizonan is fragile enough they would take those losses for the "prestige" of hosting the Olympics.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:13 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Doubt it would ever happen and I am happy for it. The Olympics are a scam. It's a loser for the local economy and taxpayers. I don't think the ego of your average Arizonan is fragile enough they would take those losses for the "prestige" of hosting the Olympics.

I also don't think AZ has a big enough 'cover' to hide all the scamming that goes into prepping for the Olympics.
I picture dozens of abandoned Gila River Arena clones and other buildings sprinkled all over the state 2 years after the closing ceremonies (built whether they were needed or not).

Old 06-30-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Sure, it was a loser for Salt Lake City when they hosted it in 2002. It put the entire state of Utah in a negative spotlight and caused shame & disgrace for many years to follow. The way I see it, hosting the Olympics is about on the same level as hosting a Super Bowl. When Arizona hosted its first Super Bowl in 1996, it was so horribly planned and such a money losing event that Arizona decided to host it again in 2008, 2015, and 2023. Gotta love the naysayers!
()

Old 07-01-2019, 04:42 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sure, it was a loser for Salt Lake City when they hosted it in 2002. It put the entire state of Utah in a negative spotlight and caused shame & disgrace for many years to follow. The way I see it, hosting the Olympics is about on the same level as hosting a Super Bowl. When Arizona hosted its first Super Bowl in 1996, it was so horribly planned and such a money losing event that Arizona decided to host it again in 2008, 2015, and 2023. Gotta love the naysayers!
()
You don't have to build The venues to host a Super Bowl. You don't need dormitories for all the athletes from all of the countries with a Super Bowl.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,363,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Considering Milan and Cortina just won a joint bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics, could we potentially see a joint Phoenix-Flagstaff bid? Indoor sports could be played in the Phoenix area, while the outdoor sports that require snow can be played up in Flagstaff. Does anyone think this is a good idea?
Maybe if we were back in the Lake Placid days!

I know many people talked about the possibility of lack of snow, depending on how wet the winter would be, and while it's a concern, the 2022 Winter Olympics in China will be facing that same possibility and I guess they are already planning on making artificial snow because Zhangjiakou, where most of the skiing will be held, doesn't get that much.

I think the bigger setback is the Arizona Snowbowl itself, with only a 2,300 ft. vertical drop, you really think that one resort will be able to host the combined, downhill, super-G, slalom, giant slalom, freestyle, and snowboarding?

In addition they would have to build a track to be shared with bobsleigh, luge, skeleton and also a ski jump place. And what about the opening and closing ceremonies, are you building a temporary 65,000 seat stadium in Flag?

If you look at the 2002 SLC host sites, they had 3 different venues/resorts for the skiing events, that's the way to do it, if you can:

Deer Valley (3,000 ft. vertical)
Alpine skiing (slalom), freestyle skiing

Snowbasin (2,959 ft. vertical)
Alpine skiing (combined, downhill, super-G)

Park City Mountain Resort (3,200 ft. vertical)
Alpine skiing (giant slalom), snowboarding

Just thinking about possible US places that can host future Winter Olympics, I would say SLC (obviously) and Denver.

I was throwing around a possible Lake Tahoe/Bay Area(San Fran and San Jose) idea and even that probably wouldn't work.

I would like to see Denver get the next Winter Olympics held in the US, since SLC already had it once. Have the opening and closing ceremonies where the Broncos play, use 2 or 3 ski resorts in the Rockies to host all the skiing, use the Pepsi Center and other smaller arenas along the Front Range in Boulder and Ft. Collins and the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland for indoor events.

Last edited by cjseliga; 07-01-2019 at 06:03 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 09:34 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,163,119 times
Even if making snow and/or snowfall weren't an issue...Snow Bowl isn't exactly an "Olympic" mountain. Fun for skiing in AZ, sure...but there would need to be huge amounts of money put into making Snow Bowl a competitive venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: