Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 05:29 PM

375 posts, read 608,925 times

Advertisements

A friend went to Taco Bell in Parker at the drive-through window. Paid cash. Bought $8.34 for food. Charged $10.14
Sales Tax was listed as $1.80 on the receipt .Parker sales tax is 10.6% (including Tribal 3%)
He called the Arizona tax folks and she told him that they can charge anything they want for tax!!

I guess that's OK as long as Taco Bell pays the 10.6% to the state.

Do Taco Bell pocket the extra charge? Do the employees receive it as a tip?
IMO - If it's a Fee, then it should be listed as such. I think that this is a deceptive practice.
Does this happen at other establishments?
Every one should know this.
BTW - Burger King in Parker charges the correct 10.6%
Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
I saw this posted on another forum from September 2016: "CRIT (Colorado River Indian Tribes) just put in a new 'prepared food' tax. Anything made to order has about 8% added to an already high tax load. It applies anywhere on the Reservation, including California side. It applies to any food prepared for immediate consumption. Restaurants, Fast food, Cold drinks. Coffee. Big Gulps. etc. There was no notice. No public action by the tribes, nothing. They just told the businesses to start collecting it, or shut down".

CRIT tax code states they can charge no less than 2% and no more than 10%.
http://www.crit-nsn.gov/crit_content...de_mar2005.pdf

"Section 20-3104. Rate of Tax.
The tax rate imposed under this Article shall be established by the Tribal Council of the Colorado River Indian
Tribes and shall be no less than two percent (2%) nor more than ten percent (10%) of the purchase price of the
prepared food items for immediate consumption. Until the tax rate is changed by Resolution of the Tribal Council,
the current tax rate imposed under this Article shall be levied, imposed and collected at the rate of three percent
(3%) of the purchase price of the prepared food items for immediate consumption".

If I recall, that shopping center where Taco Bell is located is on reservation land. If you've ever had to deal with CRIT, it's like getting teeth pulled.

Last edited by tumamoc; 01-17-2019 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: updated with information

Old 01-17-2019, 01:49 PM

364 posts, read 617,470 times
Yea, I'm gonna have to go with....they can do what they want on their own land...

Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
I guess we won't be stopping in Parker for food anymore.

Not that there was anything there that looked good.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
I saw this posted on another forum from September 2016: "CRIT (Colorado River Indian Tribes) just put in a new 'prepared food' tax. Anything made to order has about 8% added to an already high tax load. It applies anywhere on the Reservation, including California side. It applies to any food prepared for immediate consumption. Restaurants, Fast food, Cold drinks. Coffee. Big Gulps. etc. There was no notice. No public action by the tribes, nothing. They just told the businesses to start collecting it, or shut down".

CRIT tax code states they can charge no less than 2% and no more than 10%.
http://www.crit-nsn.gov/crit_content...de_mar2005.pdf

"Section 20-3104. Rate of Tax.
The tax rate imposed under this Article shall be established by the Tribal Council of the Colorado River Indian
Tribes and shall be no less than two percent (2%) nor more than ten percent (10%) of the purchase price of the
prepared food items for immediate consumption. Until the tax rate is changed by Resolution of the Tribal Council,
the current tax rate imposed under this Article shall be levied, imposed and collected at the rate of three percent
(3%) of the purchase price of the prepared food items for immediate consumption".

If I recall, that shopping center where Taco Bell is located is on reservation land. If you've ever had to deal with CRIT, it's like getting teeth pulled.
ALL of Parker AZ in within the boundaries of CRIT according to their map.

Some of the restaurants and fast food places show it as a tax on their receipts and some don't but you paid it in the price of the food. ...maybe.

I decided to dig further into this. The CRIT website you cited "might" be out of date. (They show that WALMART is coming to Parker.)
CRIT imposed tax for food prepared and consumed on the premises is 10% according to the CRIT TR-1 Tax form (rev. 9/16). Their website still shows 3% but that may not be the whole story.
Schedule "A" of the CRIT TR-0l allows for Tax and exclusion codes. S02 allows for an exemption for food NOT consumed on the premises and R01 for food prepared for immediate consumption by non-restaurant retailers. (Quick-stop?? gas stations? or the fast food outlet at Walmart?)
Download and look at the Exclusion codes if interested.

MY FINAL ANSWER.

I'll just bring my lunch if I visit the river again.

You might need an accountant to decipher and interpret the exclusion codes. No different than the Federal,state, county and city tax codes. I guess.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:26 PM

Because I don't have anything better to do right now, and I like maps, here's the CRIT boundary. Most commercial areas of Parker are outside of the reservation. The Walmart and the Safeway shopping center with Taco Bell are just inside the rez boundary, northwest of the airfield. So no need to bring your lunch. Maybe just head on over to the Crossroads restaurant, or hit the Parker Strip.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:25 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
More money for cronies.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Because I don't have anything better to do right now, and I like maps, here's the CRIT boundary.............

Thanks. The CRIT map shows it a bit different but the CRIT website is really dated and most likely doesn't show the local growth. I.e. - they are still waiting for the new Walmart to be built in Parker. LOL. I like your map better.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:33 AM

Actually, I guess the reservation is much bigger, as shown on this map from 1911, but you get the idea that there are quite a few non-reservation inholdings and ROWs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona